iPad mini iPad 4's poor camera design affect pictures and videos

Discussion in 'iPad' started by VinegarTasters, Feb 27, 2013.

1. VinegarTasters, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

VinegarTasters macrumors 6502

VinegarTasters

If you look at the iPad 4's camera closely, you will see a bright ring (like a bezel) around the camera lens. It is sloped downwards towards the camera. Guess what? That is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE way to design a camera. What this means is that anything that is bright will reflect off of those shiny bezels and go into your pictures and video.

Let me show you the results:

At 2:05 you can see the reflected bright dots from the lights throughout the drumming sequence.

At 11:50 you will see this floating thing in the scene.

In fact, throughout the whole 3D water show, there are artifacts from lights. Even the Phantom of the Opera ripoff segment starting at 31:40 has this ufo floating everywhere in it because of the bezel.

Canon and everyone who designs lens knows to make their lens case and internal parts slope away and in non-reflecting coating (or very dark texture) so that light does not affect pictures. Why does the iPad 4 purposely put bright reflecting stuff SLOPED TOWARDS the lens? It ruins all videos and pictures with bright source.

2. irDigital0l Guest

1. Your video is private.
    2. Taking pics with iPad = lawl

3. VinegarTasters thread starter macrumors 6502

VinegarTasters

Sorry, try it again. It should work now.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That looks like lens refraction to me. What evidence do you have that the ring is causing that?

5. VinegarTasters thread starter macrumors 6502

VinegarTasters

That is NOT lens refraction. It is from the bezel. Lens refraction have large blurry circular things (reflecting off the lens). Those things in the video are sharp from reflecting off SHINY METAL SURFACES. Each dot representing a light source from the scene.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I've seen that effect on cameras that don't have a shiny ring around the lens. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it ISN'T due to the ring, but I'm not convinced it is, either. It seems odd that Apple would design a camera in such a way that is inherently flawed.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

Here are the cameras from the iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPhone 4s, iPhone 3Gs...

It's gotta be more than just the shiny metal surface, no?

Attached Files:

8. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Friends dont let friends take pictures or videos with the iPad in public

9. VinegarTasters thread starter macrumors 6502

VinegarTasters

I actually owned the 3GS, 4, and now the iPad 4. Only the iPad 4 has sloping bezel towards the camera lens (of the three). This means bright lights at certain angles will bounce directly into the camera lens. The 3GS and iPhone 4 have flat bezels, and they are less susceptible to the problems seen in the video.

This is a serious flaw. Ask ANY camera manufacturer. No bright stuff near the lens. Especially SLOPED TOWARDS camera! Even camera manufacturers go out of their way to use black color near the lens (notice why most of them are black or covered in non-reflective material?).