All iPads ipad 5-- Do I need it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by olalakers, Aug 28, 2013.

  1. olalakers macrumors newbie

    Sep 21, 2012
    I am thinking of buying my Mom a new ipad. She still uses ipad 1 after all! All she really does is email and games. Is it worth waiting for the ipad 5 or am I safe just buying the ipad 4 right now?
  2. Rodster macrumors 68040

    May 15, 2007
    If you need it NOW then go for it. We are so close to an announcement it would be better to wait. If you don't think the iPad 5 is worth the money it will just make the iPad 4 that much cheaper after the announcement. ;)
  3. AppleOfMyOy macrumors newbie

    Sep 1, 2008
    If you MUST give her something now, like if it's her birthday, then . . .

    . . . then give her an Apple gift card now, and advise her not to use it until the new iPads come out. You will have given her a gift on time and not have invested in an about-to-be-outdated iPad.
  4. Macman45 macrumors G5


    Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    If all she's doing with the 1 is emailing and surfing the web, then I doubt she needs even a 4. When I got my rMBP, I turned my 4 over to my fiancee as she uses it for movie streaming at night. I'm not going to be jumping in for a 5 though....This MBP fits my needs, does all the fun stuff AND runs Logic X for edits just fine.

    I gave my ipad 1 to a buddy who uses it the same way your Mom does, and he's still happy with it.
  5. olalakers thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 21, 2012
    So, with the 5, there is not going to be much of a difference from the 4? Is that what I understand? Is it confirmed that the 4 will go down in price when the ipad 5 is released? From what I am reading, all the 5 is going to have different is it will be lighter than previous models? Is that correct?
  6. Tysknaden, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

    Tysknaden macrumors regular


    Jun 19, 2013

    You do not sound like someone, who is that needy for a new iPad, he cannot wait a few more weeks. Especially considered, how long the iPad first G is already in use - you should wait a little.
    The smaller iPad 5 G will be easier to handle for your Mom, and the new OS will already be installed.


    It will have a smaller bezel, too. The processor will have an update, and the iOS7 will be installed. All this means: Easier handling and transport/ longer lifetime.
    If price is important: You should consider a refurbished iPad4. 16 Gigabyte should be enough - if Mom is actually using the pad only for the purposes, mentioned by her son.
    Buying an iPad4 now for normal price is not reasonable. It would mean paying a premium price for technology soon to be outdated.

    The difference in between iPad1 and iPad4 is huge. Even for websurfing. People, who say, the difference in between the two incarnations is negliable, obviously did never have the experience of comparing them to each other. You will do your Mom a big favour by updating the generation of iPad she is using!
  7. olalakers thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 21, 2012
    Thank you so much everybody for your input. Sounds like it makes sense to just be patient and wait for the ipad 5. Buying a 4 when it will be old technology does not make much sense. Her birthday is October 20. Is it safe to say that it will be released by then?
  8. Hello... macrumors 6502a


    Oct 10, 2011
    I don't need it but WANT it, have a new mini now and will sell that to get the 5.
  9. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

    Jun 26, 2012
    Virginia, USA
    No, I don't even need the 4. My two threes are plenty fast and have retina displays.

    I am waiting to see what the new iPad mini will offer as I have decided that getting mine with wifi only was a mistake. Too much of the free wifi is slower than writing a letter and mailing it in the post box and LTE, commonly available hereabuts, is faster than most fast wifi.
  10. Bear macrumors G3

    Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    It's a good probability that it will be announced by then if not actually shipping.

    And yes, I would recommend waiting for the new iPad. The iPad 4 will in all likelihood stop getting iOS updates sooner than the iPad 5 will. So a month (give or take) wait will make the iPad you get usable for a year or 2 longer before running into software update issues.
  11. Tzuten macrumors 6502

    Sep 20, 2011
    No one needs an iPad. It's a toy mainly... I'm sure she is fine with the iPad 1. Save your money.
  12. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

    Aug 10, 2012
    Over here
    Silly remark. No one ? Really ? Some use it as their main computer, and I think that may be a good reason to have one. Than you go on to say, she is fine with an iPad 1. That's and iPad. You know, the one you said no one needs. :p :confused:
  13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

    Feb 9, 2011
    What does she find lacking with her iPad? You know her better than any of us do so you're best equipped to answer your own question. Worth is always highly subjective. Since it's for her you need to consider her rather than ask broad, general questions.

    Depends on how one defines need. The traditional needs are air, water, food, shelter & security. No iPad in that list.

    However, it can certainly be argued that a computer (or iPad) is a modern need.

    Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it silly.

    A person "can be fine" with something without needing it.
  14. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040


    Apr 11, 2013
    Washington D.C.
    I would say definitely wait for the new one to come out. The difference this time around is not just the processor bump and maybe ram, but it will also have a new design as well as being lighter. The new design is basically the same exact design as the iPad mini, but larger scale. I personally would wait for the new design as I think it might be more friendly for use, and the shaving of a few grams definitely helps you enjoy the experience. Granted, even though I think it would only make maybe 20% of a difference if you got her the new 5 instead of just getting her the 4 now, I still think it is worth it for your mom's birthday gift. That's just me personally.

    I do not think the iPad 4 (iPad with Retina Display) will be that much cheaper after release. Might go down $50-100 (they do hold their value), but that is assuming they discontinue the iPad 4 (and you buy left over stock on amazon).

    On a side note, they may release the iPad's September 10th! But they may also only release them mid October, so it would be a pleasant surprise if you got her a device that came out literally like 3 days before, but it might be cutting it close. They would announce the date they're selling them at the October event (sometimes they sell a week later, sometimes right away). Good luck
  15. Tzuten macrumors 6502

    Sep 20, 2011
    If you want a sub-par and more inefficient experience, by all means, use an iPad as your main "computer".
  16. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a


    May 15, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    If you're asking whether you need it then no, you don't.
  17. 960design macrumors 68030

    Apr 17, 2012
    Destin, FL
    YES you NEED IT!!!! That and some Funyons... oh man I NEED some Funyons right NOW!!

    I have the iPad2,3,4 and will get the 5. I don't want to be labeled an iPad bigot.
  18. Badrottie Suspended


    May 8, 2011
    Los Angeles
    If your loving mommy have very strong hands then iPad 4 is fine for her if you want to save extra money. Try at Apple Refurb online. :apple:
  19. Robster3 macrumors 68000

    Dec 13, 2012
    Yeah she will be standing up all day holding it:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  20. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

    Jan 20, 2010
    I'm keeping my iPad 4 and adding an iPad mini Retina.
  21. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

    Dec 18, 2012
    Unless they discontinue to 4 after they release the 5. They did that with both the original iPad and the 3.
  22. CairnsRock macrumors regular


    Jan 9, 2013
    Best reply. That's what I'm doing.
  23. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

    Jun 28, 2012
    A moose bit my sister once

    I have an iPad 1 and am considering getting the 5. My advice is to wait and get the latest and greatest version. If it turns out that the specs are overkill for her needs, then you should be able to get a deep discount on a new or used 4 due to the 5's arrival.

Share This Page