Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joannie011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying an iPad. It would be a great tool to study and read textbooks. I kinda need it now... But could manage without.

Should I wait for the iPad 5? What should we expect with the iPad 5? What will be new? When should we expect it?

Thanks !!!

Last edited:

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
It will probably be released around the same time as iOS 7, no earlier than September/October. I'm on an iPad 2 now and I'll upgrade to iPad 4 this week. I'm really sick of waiting.

metanoiac

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2012
I am still working on my first gen iPad, and I am patiently waiting for iPad 5. I tried upgrading to gen 3 when it came out, but I found that it made too many compromises with the screen. Same with gen 4 - I believe (but never tested).

I don't expect Apple to wait much more than September to release its new model. So if you are a student in the Northern Hemisphere, it could be well worth the wait.

Quearumono

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
I don't think we will see a huge difference between iPad 4 and iPad 5.
I think both are same.. If they have difference then it is not a huge.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
I could not waite for the ipad5. so i got a refurbed ipad 4 32 gig from the apple store for 499. this thing is pure awesomeness iam so happy i got it.
its fast and battery life is awesome. dont waite for the ipad5 get the 4
you will be happy with it

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
It will probably be released around the same time as iOS 7, no earlier than September/October. I'm on an iPad 2 now and I'll upgrade to iPad 4 this week. I'm really sick of waiting.

What make u so hurry to upgrade your Ipad??? IMO, Ipad 2 is still a very capable Gen. Unless you really needed that retina thingy.

As for the OP, Ipad 5 will probably be annouced in September along with new Iphone and it should come preinstalled with IOS7. Cheers

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I say wait! It will be smaller and much lighter I bet! I have a 4 and a 3 and they are the same, so I bet the 5 will have an overhauled chassis

mphtrilogy

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
put my request in for the ipad4 32gig refurb for fathers day, hope I get it..

I think the chip might be the same for the 5, is that a fair assumption?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Function wise, I don't think theres anything worth waiting for. Cosmetics/ case design will be no doubt the biggest change if thats your thing.....

The ipad was never this huge heavy brick that folks some how seem think as of late.

Apple just has a way of pychologically motivating folks to be unsatisfied with their perfectly functioning device so they will feel justified just enough to 'upgrade', they do this by making the device thinner and lighter so that you can discern the weight difference, and with a few choice words in their marketing they will have you believe that your old (few ounces more) device is an old outdated to-heavy brick.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
What make u so hurry to upgrade your Ipad??? IMO, Ipad 2 is still a very capable Gen. Unless you really needed that retina thingy.

As for the OP, Ipad 5 will probably be annouced in September along with new Iphone and it should come preinstalled with IOS7. Cheers

I'm sick of apps restarting (when multitasking) and tabs reloading in Safari (when surfing), both of which are due to limited RAM. Besides, I need more space and cellular too.

Someone said it would "probably" come in April, then in May, then in June and now in... September? I have waited patiently for the 5 (or mini 2) since February/March, but it might take many more months since we haven't seen any proper leaks yet (well, at least I haven't).

My plan is to get the 4 tomorrow or in the weekend. Then I'll still have time to sell my iPad 2 (16 GB WiFi) before the iPad 5 gets announced.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm sick of apps restarting (when multitasking) and tabs reloading in Safari (when surfing), both of which are due to limited RAM. Besides, I need more space and cellular too.

Someone said it would "probably" come in April, then in May, then in June and now in... September? I have waited patiently for the 5 (or mini 2) since February/March, but it might take many more months since we haven't seen any proper leaks yet (well, at least I haven't).

My plan is to get the 4 tomorrow or in the weekend. Then I'll still have time to sell my iPad 2 (16 GB WiFi) before the iPad 5 gets announced.

that is why you shouldn't listen to those rumors about iPad release. O have iPad 2 and I can wait until November or December for iPad 5. :apple:

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
that is why you shouldn't listen to those rumors about iPad release. O have iPad 2 and I can wait until November or December for iPad 5. :apple:

I know. There are multiple reasons why I've waited this long.

----------

Apple just has a way of pychologically motivating folks to be unsatisfied with their perfectly functioning device so they will feel justified just enough to 'upgrade', they do this by making the device thinner and lighter so that you can discern the weight difference, and with a few choice words in their marketing they will have you believe that your old (few ounces more) device is an old outdated to-heavy brick.

Basically we're doing it to ourselves, and Apple takes advantage of that. It's up to you if you're going to fall for the marketing scheme or not.

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

See your point, I am browsing 1 tab at a time on my 2. Maybe i am not so irritated because i still use my laptop for the majority of my web surfing. Ipad mainly for youtubes and games. I can see people get annoyed by constant apps restarting. Me too, but i only play casual games and it loads quite fast.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Function wise, I don't think theres anything worth waiting for. Cosmetics/ case design will be no doubt the biggest change if thats your thing.....

The ipad was never this huge heavy brick that folks some how seem think as of late.

I disagree, its not all about weight. For those who like to hold onto their devices for as long as possible, you're going to want to get the most out of your purchase. Meaning their hardware will still be supported with software updates for at the very least one year longer than the previous generation.

There's nothing psychological about it, Businesses make improvements to their products whether aesthetically or in terms of functions and people buy it. Personally i would wait the 3-4 months but if you're one who is planning on upgrading next year then by all means why not go for for the 4.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

To be honest the sensible money has always been on September / October and I think now more than ever that's the likely introduction of the iPad 5. Couple of reasons:

1) New version of iOS. iOS7 will be ready and considering the scale of the redesign I can't believe Apple would want to launch it on year old hardware. There's some other reasons around that which are a little fuzzier, things like the increased focus on swiping from the edge of the screen which work better with a thin bezel or that parallax depth effect feeling better on thinner devices, but if ever there was a time to push a redesigned iPad that'd be it.

2) Availability of GPU. This is the big technical reason and it comes down to the new PowerVR Series 6 Rogue chips. They've been in development for a while and promise a big (dare I say huge) jump in performance as well as opening up GPU compute to the iPad. It's supposed to be available in Q3 2013, so anytime from around July onwards, and frankly it's something Apple really need at this point. The upgraded GPU in the iPad 4 helped with performance on the retina display but it's still not quite where it should be and Rogue ought to give them a proper generational leap.

And while I wouldn't say it was required I can't believe Apple want to go too much further with the current iPad design. It's hardly a chore to carry and use but the compromises to get a Retina display in 2012 are fairly obvious. Looking at what should (note: should) be available to them now it's not hard to believe they can really hammer down power consumption and deliver a considerably smaller device as a result that's more in line with the rest of the iOS family.

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
I don't think we will see a huge difference between iPad 4 and iPad 5.
I think both are same.. If they have difference then it is not a huge.

I disagree, I think there will be a massive cosmetic redesign.

They've had the current design for two gens now, they will change it to be more in line with the mini's design, and losing some of the boarders...

Can image that 32GB will be the base model + loads more power to separate it from the mini.

JohnDG

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
I disagree, I think there will be a massive cosmetic redesign.

They've had the current design for two gens now, they will change it to be more in line with the mini's design, and losing some of the boarders...

Can image that 32GB will be the base model + loads more power to separate it from the mini.

Regarding the change in the boarders: is this the best design choice for the iPad? I can understand it for the mini, as the mini is meant to be a single hand device: the narrower it is, the easier to fit in your hand.

But the iPad is a two hand device and I find that with the current, wider boarders that my fingers will inadvertently stray onto the screen every once and awhile. I can see this as more of a problem if they make the boarders narrower on the iPad also.

jdg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.