Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What features do you expect?

• A8

Votes: 68 81.0%
  • Shipping with iOS8

Votes: 59 70.2%

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • New sizes

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • New shape

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • More colors

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Stylus

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Fingerprint scanner

Votes: 68 81.0%
  • OS X = iOS

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • User accounts

Votes: 21 25.0%

• Total voters

djplaxe2109

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2013
A 4K display on an iPad is useless. After a major redesign, I expect a spec upgrade and possibly touch ID, although I don't see much use for it on an iPad without support for multiple accounts.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I think this "poll" confirms what I concluded with the release of the ipad air and retina mini--that the ipad is a very mature product. I dont expect a lot of changes, perhaps true multi-tasking in ios8 and a comensurate ram increase.

I am however expecting another apple tablet that will be more like a surface hybrid. I would not be surprised to see ios on a touch notebook--but i would be surprised to see osx on a tablet

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The Air seems like such a great product, I can't think of much to do with it. I think we'll start to see form factors stick around for longer than a couple of years - I reckon it'll be like Macs, which only get a redesign maybe once every four or five years.

Having said that, the iPad 6 (or iPad Air 2nd generation?) will obviously have an A8 SoC, and ship with iOS 8. I'd wager we'd see TouchID and 2GB RAM, too.

It's also quite possible they'll update the camera, as it's remained mainly the same for a while. TrueTone flash and slow-mo aren't super likely, but it'd be nice.

Until a major breakthrough is made, such as a flexible/foldable product or one with a month battery life, I doubt radical changes are coming soon.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I picked
A8
Shipping with iOS 8
More colors (Its got to come in gold)
Figure print scanner.

I didn't pick and because
4k cuz its not going to happen not yet any way.
New size cuz that would be called iPad pro a whole different iPad and i'm still not to sure about it.
New shape cuz its not gona be no triangle.
Stylus cuz I remember Steve Jobs saying that they were stupid (not his exact words) and that they weren't needed and they are just stupid.
OS X = iOS cuz it wont happen
User acounts cuz that ain't apple

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Everyone already assumed the finger print scanner for the iPads this year.. And it was omitted. Rest assured it will be implemented as a feature for the next year iPads.

I think that would be the cornerstone of the updated iPads for next year, A8 is a given.. And I don't see Apple doing anything groundbreaking, but I feel some sort of keyboard accessory that will help out education and business instances.

But I don't expect anything major... I think all there attention will be on iOS 8 and getting that up to par with the iPads.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
2gb ram and being able to run more than one app at once is all ask for. Doubt if the second one will ever happen.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
LOL the only 4 I picked were the top 4 responses.

More sizes is pointless. People are asking for a smaller iPad AND a bigger iPhone? Logical! :rolleyes:

Honestly, aside from putting the fingerprint reader, I truly honestly believe the iPad has hit the Macbook stride where it's done in terms of any serious physical appearance work, now it's just about keeping the internals up to date. They're light, thin, comfortable in the hand, feel great. Leave it as it is.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
It is shocking that the thing people want least of all is a proper stylus (Wacom digitizer).
That's the only thing I'd want, along with 2x the battery life.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
iPad Air 2
Design: Same as iPad Air, has Touch ID
Display: Same as iPad Air
Performance: A8 chip and M8 coprocessor, 2GB of RAM
Wireless: 802.11ac Wi-Fi, more LTE bands
Cameras: Same as iPad Air
Battery: Same as iPad Air

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think we'll see a new processor, new iOS (that's a no brainer as we always see those two) I can't image it getting any thinner like it in prior revisions. Additionally we'll not see iOS become OSX, Apple likes having the tablet OS separate to the desktop OS.

Hopefully more ram, because of the march towards full 64bit computing. Other then that, I have no idea.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
4k display isn't practical. It would require a beast of a graphics ship which would need to be powered by a huge battery.

I'm sure we will eventually see 4k display on mobile device but battery technology needs to catch up before it's practical.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I think this "poll" confirms what I concluded with the release of the ipad air and retina mini--that the ipad is a very mature product. I dont expect a lot of changes, perhaps true multi-tasking in ios8 and a comensurate ram increase.

I am however expecting another apple tablet that will be more like a surface hybrid. I would not be surprised to see ios on a touch notebook--but i would be surprised to see osx on a tablet

I agree that the iPad is at its peak maturity right now with the Air. Fingerprint ID, and few other goodies are all you'll see. Nothing wrong with that.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
2gb ram and being able to run more than one app at once is all ask for. Doubt if the second one will ever happen.

I run multiple apps simultaneously all the time on my iPad, for instance the DAW Cubasis along with several synthesizer and audio effects apps, all working together at the same time.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
It is shocking that the thing people want least of all is a proper stylus (Wacom digitizer).
That's the only thing I'd want, along with 2x the battery life.

If they turned the Air into a Galaxy Note type device first it would jack up the price and it would require app developers to accommodate it. Plus I have a feeling it might mess up the form factor (the Note isn't exactly svelte compared to other tablets).

The Galaxy Note, while popular, is largely a niche device. The majority of people who have the III just use it as a phablet, and the 10.1 did NOT sell especially well. I bought one and it was a beautiful device, but it wasn't exactly burning up the sales at Best Buy.

IMO something like that should be a separate product. The iPad Pro or something. Make THAT the 12" screen version. Keep the Air untouched but make a 12" tablet with a digitizer and stylus.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
If they turned the Air into a Galaxy Note type device first it would jack up the price and it would require app developers to accommodate it. Plus I have a feeling it might mess up the form factor (the Note isn't exactly svelte compared to other tablets).
I don't buy that. Developers are working on their own APIs to support better styli, but mo matter how good their products get they will never be as goon as a Wacom digitizer.

The Galaxy Note, while popular, is largely a niche device. The majority of people who have the III just use it as a phablet, and the 10.1 did NOT sell especially well. I bought one and it was a beautiful device, but it wasn't exactly burning up the sales at Best Buy.
Unfortunately, that has more to do with the way the market is. Most people choose android [tablets] because they are cheaper than iPads. A Galaxy note 8, costs the same as an iPad mini retina; it isn't surprising therefore that most people overlook them.

IMO something like that should be a separate product. The iPad Pro or something. Make THAT the 12" screen version. Keep the Air untouched but make a 12" tablet with a digitizer and stylus.
I disagree. I wouldn't be carrying a 12.9" product with myself as I do the mini. If I were carrying around something that big, it would be a laptop. And I type much faster (and much more legibly) than I write.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Touch ID, more RAM, the usual extra processing boost, camera upgrades.

For those asking for a 4K display, you must've been seeing too many of those Kindle Fire commercials. The Retina Display is defined by Apple to be one with so many pixels per inch that the average eye cannot distinguish them individually. Therefore, what good would tripling or quadrupling the pixels on a 9.7-inch display be? It means a thicker device and less battery life. Nobody in their right mind would sacrifice battery life on an iPad Air for a 4K display.

Also, do you have any idea how expensive 4K displays are in any size? I'm willing to bet one of the major holdups on an Apple TV is waiting for 4K to get semi-affordable on a TV. But TVs are large enough that they can benefit from those extra pixels, especially on larger models.

The iPad Air is probably the iPad Apple has been aiming for for years. Very little wasted bezel, pretty thin and light, Retina Display, LTE.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I disagree. I wouldn't be carrying a 12.9" product with myself as I do the mini. If I were carrying around something that big, it would be a laptop. And I type much faster (and much more legibly) than I write.

The reason I said that is that I don't like the idea of iPads just having that as a standard feature. It would add cost, among other things, to the device. Like you said, the price is in a good spot right now, but notice how the Galaxy Note line is significantly more expensive than any other tablets on the market. The 16GB WiFi Galaxy Note 10.1 is $550 at the cheapest. That's only $50 more than the Air, but it's about $150 more than any other Android tablets (depending on what you consider the Asus Transformer), and means it's the most expensive tablet there is. What would happen to iPad sales if the base WiFi model was $600+?

As nifty as it would be, unless it could be done without adding bulk or cost to the device I see it as a bad choice because it's a severe minority of people who want it. Which is why I think it would be better served in its own line. I just spat out the 12" screen idea because I figured most people who want a tablet with a stylus and Wacom digitizer would be artist types who got real use out of more screen space.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
2014 -Lets go all out. Stereo Sound by putting a speaker at either end of the device.

A bit radical I know, but I'm sure Apple's R&D team after years of development by the 6th generation model, may just be able to pull this off this major technical leap.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I don't need any of those things. The one thing I want the most is just the ability to add an attachment to an email.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
I am 99% certain there will be TouchID. Very hopeful for 2 GB RAM because of other tablet competition. An upgraded front and back camera would be very nice too. 5 MP on the back is getting a little obsolete in smartphones nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.