Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joedw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
UK
Could the 64GB iPad Pro and using iCloud be the perfect marriage?

My main usage would be editing home movies (LumaFusion) and photo editing (Pixelmator), with lots of video consumption through streaming and writing the odd short story. I have Apple Music which keeps music off my devices. I will probably purchase the odd game (Football Manager).

I was wondering if anyone had used a 64GB iPad + iCloud storage to keep more GB free?

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I’d like to know too.
It’s worked out ok with my iPhone, then again I will use iPad for more productivity purposes.
All of my note taking and drawing apps already sync to icloud. I’ve no idea how photoshop will work.
As for video editing - to be honest I’d prefer using my MacBook Pro for that, but if I need to edit something in a hurry and already have iPad with me, it could be useful.

What I want to know is if any usb storage / usb flash drives can be attached and accessible from the files app

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I have a 64gb Air2. I don’t keep music, photos, video, or any downloads on it, and I don’t have much in the way of games, and it’s a bit over half full with just OS and apps. When I travel, I download from Netflix and Prime, and I have to be selective or I run out of space.

If you really never need to download, you might be okay. I say “might” as anything you’re working on has to be on the device at the time, so...I don’t do any video editing, so I can’t say. But I think futureproofing is where you’ll have the most trouble. Personally, I wouldn’t do it, but YMMV.

Joedw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
UK
I’d like to know too.
It’s worked out ok with my iPhone, then again I will use iPad for more productivity purposes.
All of my note taking and drawing apps already sync to icloud. I’ve no idea how photoshop will work.
As for video editing - to be honest I’d prefer using my MacBook Pro for that, but if I need to edit something in a hurry and already have iPad with me, it could be useful.

What I want to know is if any usb storage / usb flash drives can be attached and accessible from the files app

I would love if they opened up the USB-C for external HDD, but that won’t happen.

I’ve got the iPhone X 256GB which I’ve used about 20GB lol

Reactions: vbedia

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
I do. I work mostly in Procreate and offload projects to iCloud when I'm done working with them. If I need them again, I can reimport them. My projects can get pretty big when working with a lot of layers so they add up.

I don't have a problem shuffling things around like this. It helps keep my Procreate workspace nice and organized and reminds me how important it is to back up my work.

Joedw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
UK
I have a 64gb Air2. I don’t keep music, photos, video, or any downloads on it, and I don’t have much in the way of games, and it’s a bit over half full with just OS and apps. When I travel, I download from Netflix and Prime, and I have to be selective or I run out of space.

If you really never need to download, you might be okay. I say “might” as anything you’re working on has to be on the device at the time, so...I don’t do any video editing, so I can’t say. But I think futureproofing is where you’ll have the most trouble. Personally, I wouldn’t do it, but YMMV.

That’s my concern and where a 128GB option would’ve been perfect.

judyg951

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2016
sunny So. Ca.
That’s my concern and where a 128GB option would’ve been perfect.
I was planning on a 128GB since I'm over half way full on my 64GB mini. I would have preferred that size, but Apple is not offering it so I ended up with the 256GB. Now I'm questioning if I really need all that extra space and wondering if I should go beck to the 64GB.

Joedw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
UK
I do. I work mostly in Procreate and offload projects to iCloud when I'm done working with them. If I need them again, I can reimport them. My projects can get pretty big when working with a lot of layers so they add up.

I don't have a problem shuffling things around like this. It helps keep my Procreate workspace nice and organized and reminds me how important it is to back up my work.

That’s great! I have no problem with uploading and downloading cos it’ll remain at home, when travelling it becomes a multimedia device mainly for films.
[doublepost=1541081017][/doublepost]
I was planning on a 128GB since I'm over half way full on my 64GB mini. I would have preferred that size, but Apple is not offering it so I ended up with the 256GB. Now I'm questioning if I really need all that extra space and wondering if I should go beck to the 64GB.

That’s my concern too, I’ve barely used a fraction of my space on my iPhone in almost a year. I think any “Pro” model should start at 128GB IMO.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I think it'll be fine. I use cloud storage today for everything work related. The only time I need more storage is for movies, which I can delete stuff off of easily. No big deal.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
That’s great! I have no problem with uploading and downloading cos it’ll remain at home, when travelling it becomes a multimedia device mainly for films.
As a data point for you, I was travelling recently so downloaded about 14 hrs of HD video and it consumed about 32GB of storage.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I have some games on my iPad but I rarely play them. Some pretty good sized ones too like the walking dead with all the chapters downloaded and I’ve also edited the occasional movie and photo editing is easily done and saved through the cloud. Most everything I stream though. YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, hbo, Apple Music. All that. So I don’t save much of anything in the way of media to my pad and so far I’m doing pretty damn good.

I got a 12.9 2nd gen iPad Pro last year and apparently vastly overestimated my usage because I got the 512gb and barely used up any space. Later on when I decided to go down to the 10.5 (12.9 was just too big for me) I got the base 64 gig and this screenshot is where I’m at. With all the cloud services I use, I haven’t even used half my space. And it’s not like I barely use my iPad. I use it for hours and hours a day but space wise, a lot of storage just isn’t needed

Attachments

• F5F8E3F2-0626-479C-B61D-C4892F917690.jpeg
    F5F8E3F2-0626-479C-B61D-C4892F917690.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 308

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I have a 64gb now and use the iCloud for storage for all my devices and it works out fine, as I actualy still have 38gb free. So, ordered the new iPad with 64gb again. I also use my iPad as my main computer too. However, we do have an iMac, Macbook pro, but do use my iPad 90 percent of the time.

Joedw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
UK
Cheers for all the replies! It seems the 64GB + iCloud is a popular choice. I don’t play many games on my phone, but may play a couple more on an iPad due to the larger screen. Even with that I won’t get anywhere near 64GB.

Reactions: Yuuuki

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
I'd personally spend the extra $150 and go for the 256gb just to be safe. If you sell it soon you'll probably recoup some of the extra cost, if you keep it for a while you'll likely to be glad you did it even more.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I've used the 12.9 for years now and have a 32gb model. I have 17gb free currently. I store some photos on it but no music as that's either streamed or while at home I use iTunes off my mac. I regularly back the iPad up to iTunes a few times a month so 64gb is quite sufficient. Apple gets you on storage so I get them back. My Mac Mini runs off a 128gb SSD but I have a second HDD that is 750gb and an external drive that is 1Tb. Everything gets backed up to my slave HDD and external drive so I have 2 copies of all my files. And I don't use the cloud for anything, even the cloud portion that is free. 64gb is definitely sufficient if you use the iPad as a surf machine with streaming, etc.

dogegg

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Cheers for all the replies! It seems the 64GB + iCloud is a popular choice. I don’t play many games on my phone, but may play a couple more on an iPad due to the larger screen. Even with that I won’t get anywhere near 64GB.
IMO the 64GB isn't enough. I have the 64GB Air 2 and like the earlier poster said, I'm constantly juggling stuff, deleting or re-downloading films to watch travelling or apps need re-downloading because the iPad is efficiently managing the space on the device. I have ordered the new IPP and gone for the 256GB as a result. 64GB may work for some people but the extra comfort of the capacity is worth it to me.

Reactions: flur

Supersonicc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2016
I have a 12.9 Gen 2 Pro with 64GB. Seriously heavy iCloud user, stream music etc. & use 3tb SSD for storage too. I like to watch movies on my commute & whilst travelling. Free memory, I have about 2GB spare so have to do a fair bit of moving stuff around on the iPad.

128GB is the sweet spot for most that Apple do not offer.

Personally, I don’t think the extra price of the 256GB memory is worth it unless you are gonna fill it to at least 200GB.

Joedw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
UK
I have a 12.9 Gen 2 Pro with 64GB. Seriously heavy iCloud user, stream music etc. & use 3tb SSD for storage too. I like to watch movies on my commute & whilst travelling. Free memory, I have about 2GB spare so have to do a fair bit of moving stuff around on the iPad.

128GB is the sweet spot for most that Apple do not offer.

Personally, I don’t think the extra price of the 256GB memory is worth it unless you are gonna fill it to at least 200GB.

And that’s my issue, I’d be happier moving stuff around to fit my needs than say having the 256GB and as you say having 200GB free.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I also spent an extra and went for the Xs Max 256GB, when I recently started filling out my 64GB iPhone 6s which I bought three years ago. iCloud doesn't work for me, I prefer something like OneDrive. Be aware apps can take a huge amount of space, not only by themselves but the files you put into them also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.