iPad 64gb to iPad 2 16gb - $90 upgrade - worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Donz0r, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

After ebay/paypal fees and sales tax, it will be about a $90 upgrade to the iPad 2. I have no use for more than 16gb.

Lately I've really been noticing the little lagginess here and there on my iPad. Switching apps, opening folders, etc. It's starting to bother me just a little bit.

I don't really play games on it too much, mostly just use it on the couch so at first I decided I wasn't going to upgrade... but for <$100 and with new apps and iOS upgrades on the way I'm considering it...

Is it worth the $100ish upgrade to the iPad 2?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

I would say it's actually $290 because you are losing about $200 dollars in storage fees. 64GB to 16GB.

Personally, I wouldn't do this. I love 64GB and even though I dot use the content, it's nice to know that I have the space if I need it. Some apps coming out today are upwards of 1GB.

Also, I went from wifi to 3G and that was a huge upgrade for me. So in my case, going from wifi to 3G plus the cameras, speed boost, form factor, etc., all made it worth it for me.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If you are sure that you won't need more than 16Gb I'd go for it. The iPad 2 is an improvement. However, just think about it- if you go away for a few weeks you may want to load the iPad up with stuff, and 16Gb may be tight.

4. bmat macrumors 6502

if you REALLY don't need the extra storage, then maybe. You're not getting all that much in exchange for the storage.

It's a little bit faster, and, more importantly after using it for awhile, just feels more comfortable to hold and seems lighter -- even though the weight differential is not very big at all. I don't use the camera, so that's a non-issue for me.

I got the new version, and haven't looked back. But the difference in speed isn't all that noticeable when I compare it to the old one which my wife is now using.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

I completely agree with that. Same with my wife. I gave her my original iPad 1 and it's hard to notice the difference.

6. aluren macrumors 65816

Everyone that upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad 2 has taken a hit due to iPad's declined value. I sold my iPad 64GB Wifi for about $480 after fees, which means I already lost about $280. But that is how it is with tech, you pay for new upgrades. The only way to make money is to scalp, which I plan on doing for iPad 3.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Ah remember the old days, where you could sell your year old mac laptop for a few hundred bucks off the original list price?

I was going to gazelle my 64 gig 3g, but waited too long. Figured if I was going to give the :censored: thing away, it would be to the wife.

8. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

Is yours jail broken? Have you tried to reset and then back-up your stuff? From what I've seen comparing my iPad 2 and a friends iPad 1, the difference in speed is not a big one. The lighter weight does make it easier as a reader though.

9. OceanView macrumors 65816