Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seabrook739

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2020
An online review (below) noticed an 8% improvement in sRGB coverage with their tested iPad 7 achieving 105% (higher is better) over their tested iPad 8 sRGB coverage of 97%. Meanwhile their maximum brightness assessment measured their iPad 8 at 484 Nits over their iPad 7 which peaked at 450 Nits, a 7.6% difference. This could be all due to unit sample variations or perhaps due to a model difference. Possibly the higher brightness was achieved at the expense of sRGB coverage or by sourcing iPad 8 panels from a different manufacturer? Has anyone else found a similar display analysis of the two models? I was considering of upgrading for the newer CPU but as I use my iPad mainly for media consumption and email but I wonder now if I'd regret trading up to the iPad 8. I don't find my iPad 7 particularly sluggish but as the new A12 CPU is reportedly to be more power efficient that alone could merit an upgrade but I'd be hesitant if it come with a drop in display fidelity.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I no display expert. Would any of what you just said actually be noticeable to most people who aren't holding the two devices side by side?

seabrook739

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2020
Interestingly an European review site found that their iPad 7 had a sRGB coverage of 97.8% with an average brightness of 470 Nits. They have not yet posted a review of the iPad 8. As noted it's probably just the luck of the draw with panels with inconsequential differences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.