Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I still have no idea why a 7" device is somehow the ideal approach for Apple's remote. They would be better off throwing in an iPod Touch or a modified one, to serve as a basic remote out of the box, allowing people to supplant it with their own iOS device if they so choose.

I think the OP is confusing what he or she wants with what is reasonable for Apple to do.

I also agree with your comment.
Usually, remotes end up inside the couch, on the floor, or soaked with a drink.
If Apple would have considered making the Remote look like a Logitech Harmony, they would have done that already. Instead, Apple went the opposite direction, making the most simplistic remote you could imagine (now, compare it to the Remote that comes with the Windows Media Center).
That's why I find it very hard to believe that Apple will go the opposite direction at this point, specially by using a 'huge' (in comparison) 7" device

Well, nothing is going to happen this week, as I believe that Apple announced they will closed most of their corporate divisions for the holidays.
I was hoping for iOS and Lion updates... next year, then.

trillville

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
I still have no idea why a 7" device is somehow the ideal approach for Apple's remote. They would be better off throwing in an iPod Touch or a modified one, to serve as a basic remote out of the box, allowing people to supplant it with their own iOS device if they so choose.

I think the OP is confusing what he or she wants with what is reasonable for Apple to do.

I agree with this poster. I think Apple will throw in an 8gb iPod touch (that may be updated with an A5) with every Apple TV that has an updated remote app (that includes voice control), and will allow customers to provide an alternative device if they choose (iPhone, iPad, etc.). That seems to make the most sense because it could introduce customers to iOS if they haven't already tried it, while also providing a nice perk for purchasing the tv.

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
Do you really want to charge a remote control? I say no dedicated remote.
We already have iOS devices that we have to charge.

FaceTime camera and existing devices can control the iTV.

Siri on the set won't work without having to mute the playing audio first. How is that simple? Unless there is a camera.
Siri alone on an iOS device, doable at best.

Think kinect x1000 using the FaceTime camera. They already have patents for using a camera as a controller for certain functions. Imagine what we haven't seen?
Think retina tracking, and pointing with your finger as if you are touching the screen from your couch. Simple precise and intutive. Not clunky like the kinect.
The iPhone changed everything by just using your fingers. The iTV can certainly pick up here.

Gestures and voice will control the iTV, existing devices will be integrated. This is what I believe Steve "cracked"

This technology is once again under everyone's noses (Microsoft especially) but they don't know what to do with it. Expect Apple to do what they do best. Make everyone else look like idiots, sitting in the dust confused for a few years.
Then there's glasses free 3d...

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
No thank you.

The 7" Kindle Fire is $200. A 7" iPad will likely cost more than the Fire (due to better internals and such).

Apple's TV, though it may be amazing, will be expensive (like all Apple products). I would rather not pay an additional $200+ on top of that just for my TV's remote. That's like the cost of another TV.

I used to pooh pooh the idea of a 7" tablet too, and then a friend gave me a Kindle Fire on Christmas. I like it. It is not *better* than my iPad, in my opinion, but all of these tablets are primarily for content consumption and the 7" footprint offers users another choice. Ater my short experience with the Kindle fire, I would not be surprised to see Apple go after the large and growing 7" tablet user market. As for making a 7" remote control for TV, no one is making a tablet of any size for a singular use; the device wouldn't be a tablet then.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I used to pooh pooh the idea of a 7" tablet too, and then a friend gave me a Kindle Fire on Christmas. I like it. It is not *better* than my iPad, in my opinion, but all of these tablets are primarily for content consumption and the 7" footprint offers users another choice. Ater my short experience with the Kindle fire, I would not be surprised to see Apple go after the large and growing 7" tablet user market. As for making a 7" remote control for TV, no one is making a tablet of any size for a singular use; the device wouldn't be a tablet then.

Oh... i have no problem with a 7" tablet. Sorry if you got that impression; i was just saying the price of a tablet for use as a TV remote doesn't make too much sense in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.