iPad 9.7" (2017) or iPad Pro 9.7"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tech3475, Oct 11, 2017.

1. tech3475 macrumors regular

I'm currently using an iPad Air (1) but I need to buy a replacement soon.

The main issue I'm having though is whether to get the iPad 9.7" 2017 model or the equivalent iPad Pro 9.7".

The iPad 9.7 (2017) 128GB would cost me £400 while the iPad Pro 9.7 128GB would cost me £512 and I'm wondering if it's worth the difference as I'm unable to test one out and I'm wondering what others who may have think of them.

I mainly use my iPad as non-gaming casual consumption device for web or other media.

2. akash.nu macrumors 68020

akash.nu

Go with the 2017 iPad and save money. I did the same. Along with gaming and consumption of media I also use it as my primary non techie business related device.

3. sosumi99 macrumors member

sosumi99

Given your use case, you should get the iPad 9.7 (2017). The Pro will not be worth the difference in price — though the speakers are better, I don’t think they are 112 pounds better.

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

If its money you’re worried about, go cheaper. The regular 2017 model isnt a bad beast by any streach.

5. Fishels macrumors regular

I think the cheaper iPad is fine, but once you use the better screen it’s hard to go back.

6. KitnB macrumors newbie

If that’s how you plan on using it for the entirety of it’s lifespan with you, definitely go with the 9.7” 2017. No need to pay so much more for tons of features you don’t plan or ever using like the Apple Pencil or the Smart Keyboard.

7. tech3475 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not so much the money, but the value for money.

For example, if the speed was significantly faster or the display that much better.

8. akash.nu macrumors 68020

akash.nu

For your particular usage you won’t see any speed difference but the screen is better on the pro model. Having said that, I didn’t think it was worth the price & I needed a work horse that will also double up as a consumption device from time to time, so iPad 2017 fit perfectly for my needs. Unless you’re going to use the Pencil, I think you don’t need the pro.

9. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

I was in the same boat and finally I bought a new iPad Pro from eBay, 448€ which is a good price (sealed). You can also can buy a refurbished pro. With the pro you have the true display, better performance (A9X vs A9) and you can use the Apple Pencil.

10. TallOrder macrumors newbie

Ive upgraded from the ipad air 1 to the ipad pro 10.5, 256gb wifi version last week and the difference is night and day with relation to speed, visualy, sound. its quite amazing. I was thinking of the 9.7 pro but decided for future proofing it was worth it. Im more than happy with it.

The ipad air 1 was getting really sluggish and it was time to do an upgrade.

11. tech3475 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem for me with the 10.5 is that it approaches new laptop/tablet hybrid territory and the pencil doesn't interest me.

Is the display that much better with the Pro to warrant an extra £100+?

12. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I was in the same boat last week and discovered deals on left over 9.7 pros. Best Buy was selling them for about $20 US more than the new iPad 9.7 (both cellular equipped, 128GB). I read a number of new iPad 9.7 vs old iPadPro 9.7 reviews from earlier in the year and, without exception, the Pro was reported to be a much better iPad. I test drove them both and the iPad 9.7 is a little thicker, heavier and not quite as slick/responsive. Both a great improvement over my Air model.

Botom line is there is a point where a difference in price is not worth it and, if you are only using basic stuff, that price difference may not be much. .. worth is subjective. So I splurged and paid an extra $20 for a 9.7 pro that came off the production line in April 2017. The new 10.5 pro is a different story.

13. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

14. Fishels macrumors regular

I’m currently having problems with my Air 2 that will hopefully be ironed out, but this a great suggestion.

The air 2 has a great screen and is a ton of fun.

15. tech3475 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there anything the Air 2 offers over the newer models?

Right now the only option is the 4g model which costs more, which I dont need.

Its also cheaper to buy new believe it or not.

16. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Better display, I am told. Not having seen the iPad 2017, I cannot say from experience.
    Downside, I would hesitate before upgrading to IOS 12.

17. tech3475 thread starter macrumors regular

In that case, Id probably be better off with the pro for not much more.

18. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Agreed,
    And with the availability of iCloud and lightning flash drives you may not actually need 128Gb.

19. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

iPad 2017 has same display as Air 1 (might be brighter). Air 2 has fully laminated display and anti-reflective coating which makes it thinner with less reflections. Alas, I think the AR coating makes it more of a fingerprint magnet.

One thing I've noticed though, battery life on the iPad 2017 can be pretty darned good. Like use it for 8 hours onscreen time and still have more than 50% left good when web browsing with brightness set to low. Need to get an LTE iPad for my parents' trip and the exceptional battery life has me leaning towards the iPad 2017 instead of Air 2 or Pro 9.7.

20. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

It really depends if you think you’ll make use of the pencil.’

For me, the pencil is the killer app for the ipad. It means i can do scribbles on paper that won’t get lost, and won’t just sit around on my desk getting screwed up and grubby.

I do a lot of scribbles for network design ideas, random notes, etc.

YMMV of course.

21. tech3475 thread starter macrumors regular

I'd definitely need the 128GB, use it to download shows from Amazon, etc.

22. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

I cant compare but the extra 100 is not only for the display, it has a better processor too. It would be more noticeable con games etc, if you are not in that things then the 9.7" non-pro should be enough.

Here you have a nice comparison:

https://newatlas.com/new-ipad-2017-vs-ipad-pro-9-7/48600/

As you can see there are some other differences

23. tech3475 thread starter macrumors regular

True.

I've been looking around as well, seems that some retailers are having some discounts on the ipad pro where I live.

With that price I'm considering going for the 10.5 pro 256GB as at this price isn't too bad (about £638 (the ipad pro 9.7 256GB is 584.1)).

I know obviously that blows my intended budget but 256GB isn't an option on the 9.7 (2017) and that's the biggest reason I can think of to get the pro.

24. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502

Since you are just using the device as a consumption tool go with the iPad 2017.
    Saving money is not a crime (the apple executives don't need your extra money).

25. Brenster macrumors 6502

Upgraded to the 256GB 10.5 Pro here from the 128GB 2017 iPad here a couple of months ago. The storage comes in very handy for films and Apple Music offline synced music for work. The screen is an impressive step up for the 2017, which was itself no slouch. The quad speakers are the inference between an Audible audiobook or a YouTUbe video being Audible in the kitchen over appliances vs the 2017 which was not.

Personally, I’ve no regre,mts over the upgrade despite losing some money over buying and then selling the non Pro 2017 iPad.

Depending on your exact usage scenario, the 2017 non Pro iPad is no slouch
    And is an absolutely fantastic machine. Given that my Pro is effectively a replacement for both my 2011 MacBook Pro as well as me former iPad, the Pro has been a fantastic machine for me. If anything about the Pro appeals or fits your usage and you’re already experienced with the whole iPad thing, if you can get the 10.5 at a reduced price relative to Apple’s RRP then you’ll not likely regret it. The best thing I can say about my 10.5 Pro is that there is nothing that irks me, no performance limitation that I’ve brushed up against and nothing that has made me wish I stayed with the non Pro 2017 and saved the money.