Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazz76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
Hi All - Not too sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but apparently you cannot use the Reuse and Recycle programme to trade in an iPad Pro 9.7 in the UK, it's it's 'too new'? Has anyone else encountered this?
best
Jazz

Jazz76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
It's odd that it's available in the US but not the UK though...

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Same here, I can't be bothered with the personal selling of items. Too much hassle.
I often trade in at Best Buy, especially if I know I'm buying a new device at the same time; simply applying the credit...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Why trade in? I always sell my stuff if I wanna upgrade and get more money :)
I guess it's the whole time vs convenience conundrum. Selling it online can net you more money, but it's less reliable and more effort required, compared to an outlet which will take in your product and assure you a fixed sum for it, even if it's less. Plus, some people might not be familiar or comfortable with selling online.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I might have to go down the external selling route - I just thought an apple trade in would be 'neater'...

Yeah that's why I prefer trade-in, I really just don't trust things like Ebay as I've heard too many stories of buyers backing out last minute or demanding a refund due to change of mind or for an "undocumented scratch" that appeared out of the blue. It's also really annoying to ship things and deal with making sure you don't get scammed or something stolen by a neighbor/delivery person too.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I traded my 9.7 32GB iPP in at Best Buy for $251 USD. I still have the cases to sell, but considering I bought it for $400 and it's a base model, I didn't feel I could do much better (and didn't want to dedicate the time to do so).

Usually I go the craigslist route, but there are a lot of these on there already. And I would gladly pay the difference to not have to deal with people.

Reactions: sracer

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Most of the time doing a trade-in is for suckers. Might as well just leave it on the street for someone to pick up at the ridiculous prices they offer. Well, not ridiculous for them because they do have to recondition and make a profit reselling. But for the $250-275 most places offer you could easily put it on eBay for $385 and come out with about $80 more after fees for not much more work. If you are patient could could get a few more $ even.

IamDave

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of using https://mresell.macworld.co.uk - I'll let you know how i get on...

I can vouch for these guys as I've used them a few times and they always offer better prices than almost anywhere else and are very easy to deal with. Initially I think I had trouble contacting them for whatever reason but the last couple of occasions it's been fine and money has always been paid within a reasonable timeframe.

Reactions: Jazz76

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
I traded my 9.7 32GB iPP in at Best Buy for $251 USD. I still have the cases to sell, but considering I bought it for $400 and it's a base model, I didn't feel I could do much better (and didn't want to dedicate the time to do so).

Usually I go the craigslist route, but there are a lot of these on there already. And I would gladly pay the difference to not have to deal with people.

I bought mine as well for $399 last year. I listed it on CL and sold it in 5 days for $300 in my local target parking lot

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Why trade in? I always sell my stuff if I wanna upgrade and get more money :)
For some of us, our time is worthy money. Lack of hassle is worth money. There is value to us for walking in with a device, getting a trade-in credit and walking out with a new device. Obviously that's not true for everyone, but for some of us it is... and by making intelligent purchases up-front (like buying a new iPad Pro for $175 off) not maximizing the price on resale/trade-in is not as important.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
My ipad Pro 9.7 inch 128gb wifi(rose Gold) with smart keyboard for 490 has been on craigslist for the last month, no one wants it..first had it for 550 and kept on lowering it..got a few emails but they were the typical BS paypal scams never had an issue with selling an ipad in the past, was gone within days this is the first time no one wants it after a month

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My ipad Pro 9.7 inch 128gb wifi(rose Gold) with smart keyboard for 490 has been on craigslist for the last month, no one wants it..first had it for 550 and kept on lowering it..got a few emails but they were the typical BS paypal scams never had an issue with selling an ipad in the past, was gone within days this is the first time no one wants it after a month

It always amazes me how quickly an older device becomes less popular when a new device launches. Even if it's priced appropriately, it just has a difficulty selling.

But what I also think it's hurting the resale value of the 9.7 Pro, is the 2017 9.7 iPad that launched back in March for $329. For that price point, a lot of individuals are likely purchasing or choosing this model because now they may not be interested the Pro features.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
If your Pro 9.7 has at least 3-4 months warranty left, USD 450-500 sounds right for a 128 GB WiFi one with a Smart Keyboard (also in warranty). However, since it is a Rose Gold one, you might need to further reduce the price by say USD 50 or so.

So now we are at USD 400-450.

If you're out of warranty, reduce the price by another USD 50-100 or so.

So now we are looking at around USD 350ish. And you'll sell quickly. Trust me.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
If your Pro 9.7 has at least 3-4 months warranty left, USD 450-500 sounds right for a 128 GB WiFi one with a Smart Keyboard (also in warranty). However, since it is a Rose Gold one, you might need to further reduce the price by say USD 50 or so.

So now we are at USD 400-450.

If you're out of warranty, reduce the price by another USD 50-100 or so.

So now we are looking at around USD 350ish. And you'll sell quickly. Trust me.

I purchased the iPad Pro in May of 2016 so yeah its out of warranty..same goes for the smart keyboard..if I had to I would lower it a little bit maybe to 450 I think that sounds like a good price but I would never drop it to 350 unless I took out the smart keyboard(That alone cost me 150 bucks) Staples would give me 390 for it but thats only for staples emoney would have to use it there..and best buy offers 253 which is still super low and target offers 207(But I know around black friday cyper monday they will probably offer another 15 percent off all orders so would make the cost of the ipad much cheaper. No point in getting it now til IOS 11 comes out but still surprising considering how much Im offering that no one wants it..figured that Rose Gold is a color that people like but I Guess its more of a chick color since well, Im a girl Im into pink

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Best Buy's trade in offered me $258 for my 128GB LTE SG 9.7" in perfect condition. Needless to say, I still have it. The highest offer anyone has offered is $450 cash. I probably could get more on eBay, but after fees, I'm not sure how much more than $450 I'd end up with. May end up giving it to the kids.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Yeah selling on Ebay would be a mistake..after reading the horror stories, send someone a perfect iPad, then they claim it came broken or defective, ebay sides with buyer and I end up getting screwed not worth it..450 in cash I would accept for sure if someone wanted it will just keep waiting someone will eventually want it if not will just trade it into the store

Pentium

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
Los Angeles
For some of us, our time is worthy money. Lack of hassle is worth money. There is value to us for walking in with a device, getting a trade-in credit and walking out with a new device. Obviously that's not true for everyone, but for some of us it is... and by making intelligent purchases up-front (like buying a new iPad Pro for $175 off) not maximizing the price on resale/trade-in is not as important.

For me I don't let them take my money like this, I buy the new product hassle free right away and when I get it I just sell the old one whenever I find time.
I do not feel more intelligent If I give them $1000 iPad Pro for $250, That's it.
[doublepost=1500317875][/doublepost]
I guess it's the whole time vs convenience conundrum. Selling it online can net you more money, but it's less reliable and more effort required, compared to an outlet which will take in your product and assure you a fixed sum for it, even if it's less. Plus, some people might not be familiar or comfortable
with selling online.

yeah but sometimes the difference is too big to ignore, esp when you upgrade every year :)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yeah selling on Ebay would be a mistake..after reading the horror stories, send someone a perfect iPad, then they claim it came broken or defective, ebay sides with buyer and I end up getting screwed not worth it..450 in cash I would accept for sure if someone wanted it will just keep waiting someone will eventually want it if not will just trade it into the store
bingo. eBay favors buyers not sellers, and Apple devices seem to attract a higher percentage of scammers than auctions for things like paper goods.

Factor all of the expense, time, effort, and uncertainty, and using eBay to sell iPads is often not worth it... especially with the reduced resale value of iPads.

Reactions: Jazz76

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Best Buy's trade in offered me $258 for my 128GB LTE SG 9.7" in perfect condition. Needless to say, I still have it. The highest offer anyone has offered is $450 cash. I probably could get more on eBay, but after fees, I'm not sure how much more than $450 I'd end up with. May end up giving it to the kids.

Personally I would not utilize eBay. Aside from the insertion fees, the mount of fraud that eBay has become today is far greater when I used to be. Especially with Apple products, there are too many possibilities that A buyer can take advantage of the seller. EBay typically favors with the buyer as well, and the risk versus reward would not be worth it to me. I would rather much trade my device in, use it until it's no longer useful to me or hand it down to somebody else.

Or of course, you have the option of selling locally for cash.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
bingo. eBay favors buyers not sellers, and Apple devices seem to attract a higher percentage of scammers than auctions for things like paper goods.

Factor all of the expense, time, effort, and uncertainty, and using eBay to sell iPads is often not worth it... especially with the reduced resale value of iPads.

Ive read the horror stories of people selling perfect condition PS4's on ebay, then being told their PS4 doesnt work when received and they have to give a full refund..screw that would NEVER sell on Ebay. A few years back I sold an old iPad on amazon seller central, got lucky the guy who purchased it from me turned out to be a legit good guy..received it in two days and gave me positive feedback saying he received it in perfect condition. I just dont want to go that route again, who knows the next person who buys it turns out to be a total scam artist would rather just meet with someone in person, get the cash and the iPad is theirs no trade backs I know mine is perfect but you know how it is with scammers I wouldnt risk it..even with sites like Swappa I know they are good but still, you are sending an iPad to a total stranger they receive it and you never know what they will say

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.