iPad: A College Experience.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by davenz, Jul 19, 2012.

1. davenz, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

davenz macrumors regular

A few years ago I would have laughed if someone told me that an iPad was useful for college. In my mind it was always a very cool toy. I got a ipad 3 on the first day they came out, and it had proven to make the biggest difference for me at college.

Last time I was studying, I would have bits of random paper screwed up at the bottom of my bag which I could never decipher, or know which part of the course they related too. I used to forget to print off the lecture slides and then not be able to write fast enough to get everything down. I would have so much stuff to carry. It was a disaster.

These days, I turn up with my ipad with my bamboo stylus. Nothing else. No bag, no pen, no paper, no books.

I can arrive at my class, and if I have not been organised to do it before hand, log into our online system (blackboard) download my lecture slides- and them load up good notes or good reader. Within minutes everything is neatly organised into classes with all of the relevant course materials I may need to refer too. I use my stylus to write directly onto my ipad in good notes. No more frantic scribbling down, as most stuff is already in front of me. I can make much better study notes through taking use of the different colors and tools available. At the end of each week, I export everything as a PDF, so I can make clear and concise notes about everything that was covered during the week.

Can my iPad replace a computer? No. There are plenty of things I need a computer for. For one, I need somwhere to backup and sync the iPad too. There are also various programs such as excel, matlab, SPSS, ect which are never going to work on an iPad.

At my college, and almost every college I have been too, there are vast numbers of computers which are readily accessible. So- I can just use them for anything involving typing, assignments, or graphic intensive tasks. My 2007 Macbook works fine for doing basic stuff and syncing my Ipad. For everything else I would just use a PC on campus. I use my own laptop so little, it would not exactly be money well spent if I went out and purchased a spec'd out Macbook Pro. Not while I am a poor student anyway.

Apps which I use regularly:
    1. Dropbox- I used this for almost everything. Anything I do at home gets saved to my dropbox. This way I can access it from a PC on campus, my iPad, my parents house ect.
    2. Good Notes- I have tried almost every notes app created. Notes plus, noteability, ghostwriter, Remarks, noteshelf ect. This wins out overall. It doesn't have as many features as the others, which makes it better. The writing is much smoother than all of the above. It has a nice UI and everything you could need- but its not cluttered by all the stuff you don't.
    3.Good Reader- I use this to organise things like readings and articles. I like to keep this stuff separate from my lecture notes.
    4. Pages- Anything in .doc since none of these apps can really edit . doc format.
    5. Evernote. Storing random bits and pieces.
    6. Calendar - Easy to keep my schedule. Great how iCloud syncs everything so anything added on my iPhone also comes up on iPad/Macbook.

I see a few threads around about this topic, so thought I would post my (rambling) thoughts about how I find my iPad for school. It may help some peope, it may not.

If anything has any other apps which are useful let me know. ALways keen to find a better way to do things!

-Dave

2. davys macrumors regular

That's a load of good ideas for others in a college/uni situation to follow, also useful for me to think about my own workflow. Well done Sir.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Great writeup of how you are finding the iPad usuful for you in school, but this point isn't correct. There are many other apps out there that let you edit doc format files. I do also use Pages myself, but other Office compatible apps may offer more features. As for just reading them, you don't need a separate app at all -- a viewer is built right into iOS.

4. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

Aside from writing notes on the screen on the iPad using the stylus, this is exactly how I use the iPad. The only thing I could go against would be is the usage of the stylus, I can type pretty fast on the iPad's on-screen keyboard and that is what I use. I either use Pages or use Evernote so that all my notes are synced up correctly. And like you said, DropBox is the way to use an iPad in college, its the easiest way to get documents on and off the iPad and share them.

-RN

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not only for college. Dropbox is simply the easiest way to get documents on and off the iPad for any usage, period.

6. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

iCloud? Dropbox?

8. macsmurf macrumors 65816

macsmurf

When it comes to reading / annotating articles, course notes, and slides, there is simply no comparison.

...but of course it can be done on a macbook or any other computer for that matter. You just wouldn't want to.

9. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

You would have a physical keyboard

10. Erko macrumors member

You can always buy a physical BT keyboard for the ipad if you need one.

11. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Portability, that's the main thing.

12. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly.... The MacBooks are classified as a portable computer lOl

13. BFizzzle, Jul 19, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

downvote.

right.. but an ipad is more portable. maybe not as much comparable to an air. But really the big thing for me is how long the battery life lasts on my ipad vs a notebook

14. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

You're kidding right..?

An iPad..just a screen..
    A laptop..screen and keyboard..2 sides..

You can't tell which one is more portable than the other..really..?

15. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

Close the MacBook and I got a single piece , who carries there MacBook open?LOl

16. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

You're not counting: Size. Instant-on OS. Weight, etc.

17. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

....exactly my point..LOl
    You can carry the iPad open and work on it, which you can't do on a MacBook..or any laptop for that matter. How hard is that to understand..?

18. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I think he meant he keeps everything in .doc because nothing else will read/edit the .pages format.

19. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

Can u export a full hd video in under 10mins in the iPad? Nope

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

LOL

no one is saying an ipad replaces a macbook pro :rolleyes:

21. BluePhoenixRa, Jul 19, 2012

BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Now I know for a fact that you're kidding.

Do you know what portability means? It seems you've completely missed that part.
    Either that or you're just trying to come up wth excuses to back your baseless argument.

Edit: As BFizzle said, no one said it replaces a computer.

22. davenz thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I was talking about it in relation of the other apps on the list. Not in general.

A lot of it you could- but here i'm going for easy and efficiency. Also, since I study Economics I need to add notes and lines ect to graphs and diagrams which is not very effective on a macbook. Drawing with my stylus makes it simple.

iCloud is good, but it doesn't really back everything up. I want a full backup so if something crashed or i lost my iPad, I can easily retrieve all data and do a restore. Dropbox is similar in that it can't efficiently backup app data.

I could live without, but being able to backup to itunes gives me peace of mind.

23. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

Wouldnt you use excel to do that for economics?

Btw how do you like economics? Hard major?lol

----------

I have both

24. davenz thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah- well outside of lectures I would use excel a lot, but in classes often I need to add lines, symbols, proofs and annotations to different graphs and diagrams which relate to the topic.

I like Econ a lot. I have actually only just started. I have an Accounting degree, but went back do a Graduate Diploma in Economics to add some more analytical stuff to my Accounting degree. Definitely involves more Math than I expected. I haven't thought about Calculus in 5 or 6 years so my brain was in a little shock at first.

25. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

congratulations so do i
    but what does that, or your macbook processing hd movies in 10 min have to do with the ipad and its portability?