iPad A5X is a beast and crushes everyone.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Technarchy, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

GLBenchmark 2.5 was released recently and put through the paces on all the major tablets.

The end result, we realize now how powerful the iPad A5X.

Equalizing at 1080P so no one has a native resolution bump, the A5X performs consistently well against all comers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GKDAIR macrumors regular

I think everybody already knows how powerful it is, I mean it has a 66.6% market share, Android is at a 28% share.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Certain tests favor certain chip sets. IPad is great with graphics. No question. But I have nexus 7 and iPad 2 and new iPad. Day to day activities 80-90 percent do on tablet /(/email and web browsing). Very little real life difference in any of three I currently own.

Just like automobile tests. BMW x5 can beat a hummer in certain tests. But if I had to drag my 6000 pound boat I think the hummer kills the BMW in the towing category.

4. GKDAIR macrumors regular

Why would you tow a boat with a BMW?

5. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

Rear wheel/All wheel drive perhaps?

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

These results are great and all, and they might bode well for those who want to keep their iPad 3s for a while, maybe even skip upgrading a generation.But again, benchmark numbers don't have a whole lot of meaning to iOS users unless it's hardcore gaming or an app that really taxes the processor.

I kinda shake my head at tha android tablet users who beat their chests over how many cores their Samsung Mutara Nebula S MMMMMMMMMCMXCIX has and how it'll "smoke" any iOS device. They're missing the whole point of "lightweight" tablet computing. And so do people who wave these numbers around about the A5X without putting those numbers into context.

7. tninety macrumors regular

In GPU benchmarks, yeah… switch over to CPU benchmarks and the A5X gets absolutely smoked. :rolleyes:

8. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Because it has a 6000lb towing capacity.

And really if you are going to be towing, why not a BMW?

9. walie macrumors 6502a

and yet high end 3D games runs like a pig at full resolution on the new ipad.

10. albertxp06 macrumors regular

That's great that the benchmarks are impressive and all, but using my iPad 3 and my Nexus 7 every day, I can detect little to no real life differences in many activities. Web browsing, email, and most apps open fast enough on both devices that the iPad's advantage is negligible.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Must admit it makes me giggle thread like this.

For years and years PC owners have showed benchmarks from their various machine that totally slaughter Apple products, normally for less money, and the typical response is, only sad geeks look at benchmarks, normal people are not interested, it's the "user experience" that matters, not how many frames/sec your chart shows.

That is of course, until finally an Apple product does have some better benchmarks and then it's all, OMG look at this look at this, bigger numbers than your products, how great is Apple.

Like they have been secretly burning all this time and just need to explode when they can show of bigger numbers for a change :)

For the record, I'm always very keen for my products to be the highest performing, irrespective of brand name.

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Correct me if I am totally wrong…Tegra 3 have 12 core GPU? It should slaughter A5X. No benchmark result for Qualcomm new Snapdragon S4 cpu? :apple:

13. abthegreat macrumors regular

BMW can easily tow 6000lbs. The hummer all on its own weighs as much as your boat.

14. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Entirely different architectures, but technically the A5X's GPU consists of four SGX543's, think like SLI.

15. Nozuka macrumors 68000

How would you know if those were the same people that used to defend Apple?

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

ok thanks :apple:

17. Technarchy, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

Who says those things are mutually exclusive and there is no correlation?

----------

Not in tablets...Same rules, no native resolution advantages, though the newer android phones will have an out the gate advantage because their SOC's are built to push 720P pixels, which is a hell of a lot closer to 1080P than XGA which is what the under-clocked A5 SOC in the i4S was made to push in the iPad2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

there very much is, piggie just trolls hard sometimes.
    all those things helps with a great user experience.

Off screen benches are less usefull in my opinion then a screen on.

but to think you are just excited because
    is arrogant and solely based on his personal feelings

19. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

iPad's display is really demanding.. I don't remember which blog posted benchmarks with the screen running, the results were not so impressive.

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's what i'm thinking. If the next iPad is just a minor improvement over my iPad 3 then i'll skip next years upgrade.

22. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Hey OP, how about you mention (and credit) the source of your info? I know its Anandtech from the style of the benchmark, but I cant find the article.

23. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

24. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

nice to know that my iPad 2 refurb i bought in March 2012 still blows away more recent competition.

in all honestly, i think the iPad 2 is a beast compared to all of my friend's android tablets. the iOS platform mated with the iPad 2 hardware is extremely reliable and performs at the same level of excellence regardless of how much flash storage is being used up. i took my iPad 2 down to 0.02GB available storage and it ran just as fast as it did when it was brand new.