IPad AC Adapter - Same as iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GovtLawyer, Apr 17, 2011.

1. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

I was wondering if, functionally, the iPad AC adapter is the same as the one for the iPhone? Obviously. it is larger and has the fold back electrical prongs. Other than cosmetically, is it the same as the iPhone? I have 3 iPhone/iPod type charger adapters and I was wondering if I could substitute one of the others, if I'm caught somewhere without the one that came with the iPad.

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

No, they're not the same, but they are interchangeable. The iPads adapter will charge much faster.

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Nope

iPhone and iPods are 5 Watt adapters.

iPad has a much bigger battery system. It uses a 10 Watt adapter.

The iPad adapter can be used to charge iPhone and iPods. (the current is limited by the device, so the extra watts won't hurt.)

If you use the 5 Watt adapter on your iPad, it will charge very slowly. I don't think you can reach 100% charge either. It really needs the 10 Watt adapter.

4. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Glad I read this post because I just got my iPad today and I've been charging it with the iPhone/iPod AC adapter and noticed it was charging so slow...so now I switched to the iPad AC adapter and it's going much faster.

Also, the iPhone/iPad adapter was super hot when I unplugged it.

5. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

I appreciate the quick response. Nice to know the facts.

Steven