iPad advice (2 vs 3 vs Mini)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by js81, Mar 4, 2013.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Hey all:

Really wanting to get a new iPad soon; still rockin' a 1st gen and it's getting a bit long in the tooth... As much as I'd love the iPad 4, I really really really don't want to spend $500 right now. So I'm looking at 16GB refurbs; specifically, the 2 and 3, as well as a new Mini.

The way I see it is this (and please correct me if I'm wrong) - straight-up performance-wise, they're all 3 about the same (A5 and A5X), and approximately double my iPad's A4. iPad 2 gets the nod for lowest price ($319 refurb), the Mini gets the nod for portability ($329 new), and the 3 gets the nod for the Retina screen ($379 refurb).

So what do ya think? I'd like to avoid spending $500, but the 4 is tempting... but my sweetie has authorized me to spend sub-$350 (I can probably squeak the refurb 3 in, since it's close). Suggestions?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

It can depend on what you do with it. The retina is great for reading books. Text is much easier on the eyes. I played with a mini in a store and didn't like the size. It was just a little too large for my short fingers to palm so I have to hold it the same as a full size iPad. If you have long fingers, it can be an option.

What apps do you run? Will they do ok on a mini?

3. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Thanks for your reply. I'm coming from a 1st gen, so any apps I run now should run just fine on any of the three, I assume. I don't play games (well, a few "low intensity" ones, but nothing fancy) - mainly just web browsing and reading (mostly Bible apps, no ebooks - I have a Nook for that). My biggest concern is that my current iPad slows to a CRAWL if more than one or two apps are open (and some apps are slow on it regardless). I don't think I would mind NOT having the Retina screen; my thoughts were that it sure looks nice BUT it also comes with 1GB of RAM (may help slow downs). The biggest problem with my 1st gen is 256MB of RAM. I don't want to run into that again in a year with the 2 and Mini's 512MB.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My wife had an iPad 1 and we could definitely tell a difference in speed between it and my 3rd gen. Got her a 3 and gave the old one to my brother for Xmas. After using mine she didn't want a non-retina screen.