Ipad advice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Andyswanage, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Andyswanage macrumors newbie

Hello everyone was hoping for a bit of advice

We own a newsagents and every week we scan the items we require from the wholesaler with a small barcode scanner that they gave us we plug it into the usb port on my computer and it sends the order to them it takes quite a while as we have no computer in the shop.

Does anyone know if it possible to do this on the ipad as then we could do the whole thing in one go it might make life a bit easier.

As you can guess computers are not one of my strong points mind you i did ask in Pc world and they had no idea either.

Thanks in advance

2. kalex macrumors 65816

you need to ask them if their scanner and software supports ipad

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

It is my understanding that scanners work basically as a keyboard that sends the string of characters immediately after scanning (like typing out something really fast). Therefore a scanner should work in any application that allows keyboard input. HOWEVER, due to the USB power limitations that apple introduced in iOS 4 (lowered the power significantly), I don't know if the scanner will even function without a powered USB hub attached as well. This of course eliminates portability, since a powered USB hub would need to be plugged into a wall outlet.

I wish I had a USB scanner I could test for you. It is possible that if you purchased a blutooth scanner, the arrangment may work. Please don't do this until you can find someone that can assure you it works though.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

The iPad's camera can "read" barcodes, it's just a matter of software. Amazon has a barcode reading function in their store app that "reads" barcodes. I was at a function last week where the ticket barcodes were being scanned via iPad camera. It can be done, the only limitation is their software.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If there is an app which supports the scanner/software you need then yes. If there isn't then no.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

My company tested a little USB dongle creating one-time passwords to login to a web site. This also just simulate a USB Keyboard. Too bad that the iPad tells us everytime you use it in an alert box that the device is not supported; but still works.
    Having that for a onetime keyword is kind of ok; using a scanner this way is not user friendly. But just buy a USB camera adapter and try. The energy issue still is valid.

On the other side the scanner described by OP might not only send simple keystrokes but a more complex data format. Is ther any PC software involved ?

7. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Indeed it may be a more complex scanner. The retailer I last worked for used USB scanners which only dealt with traditional bar codes and therefore worked without the need for specific software.

There is news of a fix for the power deficiency while using the USB camera connector. [To the OP] This would mean you would have to keep the device "jailbroken" in order to benefit from the fix. This isn't a big deal, especially for a business device. If this is your main purpose though I would definitely find a used iPad 1 that is still running 4.3.0-4.3.3 firmware.