iPad Aftermarket Cables

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by drpthemc, Mar 19, 2012.

1. drpthemc macrumors member

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You put your iPad at greater risk of damage if you use non-Apple cables. It's your iPad, though, so do whatever you want to with it.

3. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I have this one and it does NOT charge the iPad.

I bought this one, as well as several 6-10 foot cables when I was in Asia last week, and none work. The only thing I've been able to get to work is attaching a 6 foot USB extension to extend the Apple original cable.

4. drpthemc thread starter macrumors member

Yea I was worried about it not working.. Thanks guys

5. BigB117 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Just use an extension cord between the wall and the factory charger/cable.

6. ValentinoV macrumors member

Since the new iPad has a new battery a lot of cables and chargers will have to be developed for it.

It's a waiting game, hopefully someone will come out with a bigger charging block that can charge it faster, and also a usb cable that is strong enough to maintain the necessary voltage.

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I got this 6' long one and it syncs, charges from the charger, and charges from PC USB perfectly fine. Of course USB is much slower than the charger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IR2J2M/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

----------

A bigger (ie: higher rated) charger will NOT make it charge any faster just like using the iPad charger 10watts instead of the iPhone 5watt charger won't make the iPhone charge any faster.

8. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Monoprice has a 10' one for just over $6 that works. Shipping usually sucks if you are getting just one item though. :(

9. alau0115 macrumors regular

Also vote for Monoprice to buy those dock connector cable of varying length, particularly if you look for the ones with push tabs on the dock connectors ---- if you push the tabs prior to inserting to some iDevices, it will reduce the scratches on the inside of the connector holes which bother some people.

Not sure if Monoprice still carries those ones...have to check it out.

One downside is their cables seem don't last long and longer cables when plugged in for iTune sync (if you need to use it, say for restoring f/w), it tends to cause errors in my experience..

10. damzz macrumors newbie

I have tried 5 current USB extension cables from 6' to 16' and none worked. I've tried 2 aftermarket USB-Dock cables and they did not work despite the claims they would on the iPad 3. The Energizer iPad charger with cable works. The only USB extension cables that work are two pre USB 3 cables - maybe pre USB 2 - that I had. One would expect the newer faster better shielded cables would not be a problem but they are. Any thoughts?

11. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I had purchased a 10' Griffen cable some time ago. It is working fine on the "new" iPad. Charges, syncs, etc.

12. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Yep I'm using the griffin one too works great.

13. doboy macrumors 68000

Got a 6' from Monoprice and it works as advertised. Although my first one died after several months, they have lifetime warranty on all non-electronic product so replaced it for free. Completely charges the new iPad.