iPad iPad Air 1 and iOS8

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Woofie2010, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Woofie2010 macrumors member

Woofie2010

Hi,
    I know there are a lot of these post on the forum, but I will ask it now that iOS has been refined.

I have yet to put iOS 8 on my iPad air 1, but I was thinking of doing now.

How is iOS 8.1.3 (if that's the current one) on the iPad air 1.
    Does it slow performance etc?

2. had0ukenn macrumors member

Have two iPad airs on iOS 8.1.2 and 8.1.3, respectively. They run smooth for me.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

My Air runs great with the latest OS. It's always run very well, to be honest with you.

Go for it. No worries.

4. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

iPad Air 1, mini 2, and mini 3 are all pretty bad on iOS 8 in my opinion. Doable, but there are just a lot of UI quirks and lags. Especially when the keyboard is involved.

5. newellj macrumors 601

Air and Mini 2 run just as well with 8.1.x as they did on 7.1.2. I have not had any bugs or quirks crop up after the update.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

7. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

It runs fine, though definitely not as fast as iOS 7.1.2 did.

8. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Except for safari tab refresh, due to lack of ram, my air 1 works well with iOS 8.

9. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Keyboard stutters like crazy when you tap address bar of Safari. The biggest UI complaint people here are bothered with.

Browsing internet on Air 1 is not a joy any more. But it once was till iOS 7.1.2.

10. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

IOS 8 is fine on the iPad air 1, still wished i had IOS 7 but upgrade for the features.

11. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I installed 8.1.3 and am pleasantly surprised at how much improved 8 has become. I had a problem with rotation that was so bad I thought I had a hardware problem, but this latest upgrade fixed that. Actually, that is the only thing that I found to be a problem though. Your mileage may vary.
    Definitely should upgrade just for that.

12. lars666 macrumors 6502a

People experience performance issues with iOS8 on (last year's generation) iPad Air 1?? Wow, wouldn't have expected this ... No problems here at least.

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Some do. But, each use case and scenario is so very different that it's hard to quantify. Just like battery performance where there are always those that have a problem versus others who never do. It's the way of things when millions of devices are in use. Sooooooo many possible things contributing to the user experience that you have to take comments with a grain of pepper. :D

14. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

16. RebornProphet Suspended

As quite possibly the most vocal person against iOS 8 and its performance on iPad Air, I'm pleased with 8.1.3 and was even more pleased with iOS 8.2 beta 5 when I tried it out on my Air last week.

It's come on leaps and bounds since the early days, which makes it all the more sad that when iOS 8.2 comes we'll finally have the version of iOS 8.2 we should have had in the first place, only for iOS 9 to get unveiled at WWDC in the summer and released in September.

I firmly believe Apple need to move iOS onto an 18 month cycle because it takes them half the shelf life of the software to get the bloody thing right.

17. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Is 8.2 actually better in performance? I have heard it is exactly the same as before, just with Apple watch support. My mini 2 is in a pretty bad place right now when it comes to performance, the only thing I want is for it to be smooth when it comes to UI. Even 8.1.3 is pretty bad, it's essentially the same thing as 8.1.2 and older just with the annoying gesture bug fixed.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Its runs fine. Though for me safari has more quirks, copying and pasting can be annoying. In hindsight, I should have stayed with ios7. If you need the functionality of ios8 go for it, its fine, if you do not, ios7 is great!