Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nafizur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
hi guys,

just wondering if the ipad air 1 smart case will work with the ipad air 2? any one know if it's the same or not? i have someone selling ipad air 1 smart case for $10

Last edited:

jap1198

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas, TX
Does Apple not sell the polyurethane iPad cases anymore or am I over looking something? I only see the option to but the leather one.

mlmathews

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
In addition to being thinner, the buttons, camera, and microphone hole(s) are in slightly different places on the Air 2. I'm not going to be able to use my Zagg keyboard case without doing surgery to it. I thought the feel and size of the Air 1 was perfect and really wish the Air 2 was the same. The Air 2 thinness is approaching the point of being silly. It's so thin that the headphone jack opening wraps around to the back.

nafizur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
sorry, i didn't mean the case.. i meant to say the Smart Cove; are they the same?

mlmathews

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
sorry, i didn't mean the case.. i meant to say the Smart Cove; are they the same?

The old Air Smart Cover works pretty well on the Air 2, but I don't think it's exactly the same as the new cover. My quess is that the hinge on the new cover is probably a little smaller since the Air 1 cover hinge sticks out slightly on the back of the Air 2.

randymac88

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
The old Air Smart Cover works pretty well on the Air 2, but I don't think it's exactly the same as the new cover. My quess is that the hinge on the new cover is probably a little smaller since the Air 1 cover hinge sticks out slightly on the back of the Air 2.

AFAIK, the only smart covers you can buy are the original covers for the Air. There is no actual smart cover for the Air 2.

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
The only thing different about the Smart Cover are the colors.

Actually, there is difference in thickness. Overall dimensions are the same. I got a half priced Air Smart Cover from Staples, thanks to folks here, and will return the $39 new and thinnner one to Apple. The hard inserts are thinner, which makes the the newer cover lighter as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.