iPad iPad Air 1 and iPad Air 2 same smartcover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by nafizur, Oct 24, 2014.

1. nafizur, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

nafizur macrumors regular

hi guys,

just wondering if the ipad air 1 smart case will work with the ipad air 2? any one know if it's the same or not? i have someone selling ipad air 1 smart case for $10

2. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Does Apple not sell the polyurethane iPad cases anymore or am I over looking something? I only see the option to but the leather one.

3. mlmathews macrumors member

In addition to being thinner, the buttons, camera, and microphone hole(s) are in slightly different places on the Air 2. I'm not going to be able to use my Zagg keyboard case without doing surgery to it. I thought the feel and size of the Air 1 was perfect and really wish the Air 2 was the same. The Air 2 thinness is approaching the point of being silly. It's so thin that the headphone jack opening wraps around to the back.

4. steveforthree macrumors newbie

No, they are not the same cases and your iPad Air 2 won't fit because volume controls have shifted.

5. nafizur thread starter macrumors regular

sorry, i didn't mean the case.. i meant to say the Smart Cove; are they the same?

6. mlmathews macrumors member

The old Air Smart Cover works pretty well on the Air 2, but I don't think it's exactly the same as the new cover. My quess is that the hinge on the new cover is probably a little smaller since the Air 1 cover hinge sticks out slightly on the back of the Air 2.

7. randymac88 macrumors regular

AFAIK, the only smart covers you can buy are the original covers for the Air. There is no actual smart cover for the Air 2.

8. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

The picture on the back of the packaging shows it on an Air 2 though.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

The only thing different about the Smart Cover are the colors.

10. dsc888 macrumors 6502

Actually, there is difference in thickness. Overall dimensions are the same. I got a half priced Air Smart Cover from Staples, thanks to folks here, and will return the $39 new and thinnner one to Apple. The hard inserts are thinner, which makes the the newer cover lighter as well.

11. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246