iPad Air 1, not sure what to do now

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sflomenb, Mar 23, 2016.

1. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I have an iPad Air 1, I was very excited about the new iPad Pro 9.7" until I found out about the RAM. I wonder if I should just wait until the fall where the new 12.9" version could come out.

2. d0minick macrumors 6502

do what makes you happy. personally, i'm gifting the air 2, to my wife, getting the pro 9.7.

wish it had more ram, also, I wish for world peace, a 2nd wife, and a 72' Dodge Charger. Not holding my breathe, so I am going to enjoy what i can, now.

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

In my opinion there are way too many people out there getting hung up on the RAM. Yes it would have been nice if they had included 4GB like on the existing larger Pro but they don't seem to have judging by information provided so far on the internet. It's certainly not the end of the world and coming from an Air 1 I think you will see a significant improvement especially with all the other new features.

4. mcorleone macrumors regular

mcorleone

I'm asking myself the same question except, I'm still on an older iPad 3 (one of the most maligned iPads on this forum). As far as the iPad Air 1, I'd stick with it for at least a year or so if I were you as my instinct tells me that this isn't a good time to upgrade.

5. AndrewS macrumors member

Get the IPP 12.9" now while you can still get a discount on it for a few days (Staples/Best Buy price match $150 off)

6. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

I would do what makes you happy! I feel like for some of us Apple has us on an abusive roller coaster of upgrades.

[​IMG]

7. ttusomeone macrumors member

ttusomeone

I posted this on another thread, but it's relevant here also. I'm still using an iPad 2 and it's updated to iOS9. It's slow but still usable. I'm disappointed that it doesn't have 4GB of ram like the larger Pro simply for future proofing reasons, but I will still buy the 9.7 Pro when it comes out because I'm ready to upgrade from my iPad 2. The 12 Pro is too big for what I want, and the Mini 4 is too small. I considered the Air 2, but for $100 more (the 64GB Air 2 vs. the 32GB Pro 9.7) I'm buying the latest release. 32GB is plenty large enough for me. I understand the size differences and that you're actually paying more for less storage, but we're all limited by what Apple offers in sizes. I've got to believe if my iPad 2 is still working, this new Pro model will be usable four years from now. By then I'll be ready for the latest and greatest anyway.

8. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I have an Air, and I'm tired of waiting. Waiting in the tech world is never ending. I skipped the Air 2 because it wasn't worth upgrading to. The 9.7 iPad Pro is the one I'm getting. If they release a new 9.7 in the Fall, and it has enough new features that I like, I will sell my current iPad and buy the new one.

If the 9.7 Pro has enough features that makes you want it, then get it. If you think will be satisfied using your Air for another 7-8 months, don't get the new Pro.

9. kiranmk2, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I'm on an Air 1 and am considering jumping on a 64 GB air 2. This will be cheap soon enough (likely to be able to pick it up for around $400ish second hand refurbished), has 2 GB ram, a triple-core CPU on par with the A9 and has touchID for convenience (I'm a big 1Password user). The pencil is just not important to me and I don't believe there is anything out there that will even stress the A8X chip yet. Going forwards, one of two things will happen:
    1. Apple launch a new iPad Pro range alongside iOS 10/X in the Autumn/Fall. Buyers of the 9.7" Pro curse Apple for being done over as with the 3rd gen
    2. There are no further iPad launches until 2017 (maybe the Mini will but that's a different category). iOS 10/X will be optimised for 2 GB ram as only one product has >2 GB, meaning the Air 2 will still perform like a champ even two iOS versions past the one it shipped with.
    To me, a couple of extra speakers, brighter, truetone screen, Hey Siri and expensive accessories are not worth the $2-300 price difference to a Pro.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I don't see why you're disappointed about the RAM. Coming from the Air 1, I'd say that the new 9.7" Pro is a significant upgrade, and despite what many here would have you believe, I think that 2GB will be quite sufficient for iOS for some time.

11. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I still use the first Air with zero problems. Since the resolutions are identical, I see no need to upgrade. I have the 128GB version with 66GB available so no danger of running out of room. Yes, I know the processor is an ancient A7 but it still zips along quite speedily for what I use it for. I get very long battery life, too.

12. sflomenb thread starter macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

OP here. My Air 1 is ok, but the main thing I am missing out on is not having Split View.

13. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Just a thought! You might want to keep your wife away from this post;--)

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Yeah it's not a big deal today. That said, I'm definitely not going to buy one with only 2GB. :)

15. ShaunAFC3 macrumors regular

Yes there are!!!

There are heavy and graphic intensive games like the Grand Theft Auto games, Gangster Vegas, Asphalt 8, Modern Combat 5: Blackout, Dead Trigger 2, Assassin's Creed, more and all so some apps like Pinnacle Studio, Photoshop Touch, Pixelmator, Procreate and more are pushing the A8X chip to it's limits!!

Maybe you did not think there was no app or game that is not putting stress on the A8X chip at the moment yet but there is as I mentioned above and I thought I just correct you on this.. :) :)

16. sflomenb thread starter macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Hey guys. I ordered it this morning. I was thinking, most iPads keep the same amount of RAM year to year. And the processor is better than the one on the iPad Air 2. So I think it was worth it.

17. austriak macrumors regular

I have an air 1 and it works pretty well but the memory refreshes drive me crazy.

The other day, eBay had $100 Staples gift cards for $85 with a limit of purchasing 5. I took advantage of that and got $500 for $425 in anticipation of the new ipad. For me, it is between getting the air 2 64gb and the 32gb ipad pro 9.7. Because of the gift card deal, it is really costing me $525 before tax for the pro. In this situation, it makes sense to me to get the pro over the air 2. If I had not done this and it was a difference between refurbished air 2 at $420ish and pro at $600, the air 2 makes more sense.

Now I just have to wait until Staples starts selling them.

18. daniel1948 macrumors 6502

daniel1948

I have an iPad Air 1 and an iPad Pro. I see no reason to upgrade to the 9.7-inch Pro. At home I use the Pro for almost all my tablet stuff. Streaming video is larger, most of the stuff I do is nicer on the big screen. Since I don't want or need the keyboard or pencil, the Pro for me is really just a bigger iPad. But at double the size of the 9.7-inch tablets, this makes a huge difference.

The Air 1st-gen, while less powerful than the Air 2 or the Pro, is still a wonderful tablet, and light enough for travel. A laptop is too heavy for my carry-on and too fragile for my checked luggage, so the iPad Air is perfect for travel, and absolutely good enough as a travel computer.

I also use the Kindle app on the Air rather than the Pro at home because it's just as easy to read on, and easier to hold, both for its weight and its size.

P.S. If I didn't have the Air 1 I would buy a 9.7-inch Pro for travel. But the upgrade is not worth the cost for the improvement.