iPad iPad Air 1 Synced Photos Take Up Too Much Space?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Power Ranger, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Power Ranger macrumors member

Hi all, I recently acquired an iPad Air (1), and noticed something a bit troublesome. After syncing my photos to the iPad Air, I noticed it takes up a whopping 13.3GB of space! Compared with the same photos synced to my iPhone 6S Plus, which only takes up 3.8GB of space.

I understand the iPad Air has a higher resolution, but is a 10GB increase correct??

2. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

By "syncing" do you mean via desktop iTunes?

And how large is your photo library on disc, if you check the properties?

3. Power Ranger thread starter macrumors member

Hi M.Gustave, yes you're right, I'm syncing from desktop iTunes. The total size of the photos I'm syncing is 21.2GBs in their original form. Synced to my iPhone 6s Plus its only 3.8GBs, but syncing to the iPad Air it takes up a whopping 13.3GBs! I can understand a slightly larger size due to the higher resolution of the iPad, but a 10GB difference is a bit much. Or maybe that's just the way it is?

4. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I don't use iTunes anymore, but obviously it's compressing your photos based on the device. Maybe there's a setting to change that.

I would also suggest using iCloud Photo Library. Then you get all your photos available on all your devices, and at full size when you need them - but otherwise they take up very little space on your phone, etc.

5. Power Ranger thread starter macrumors member

Yes, when you sync via iTunes, it "optimizes" the images for the device that its syncing to. You can't change how it optimizes the images, as far as I know. I don't mind the optimization actually, on the contrary I wish it would compress it more! Its just that the "unexpectedly" large size of the compressed images for the iPad is troublesome for me, since its only a 32GB model.

6. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Hence my suggestion to use iCloud Photo Library, with Optimise Storage turned on.