iPad iPad Air 128 GB vs Tab S

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dieselrob, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Dieselrob, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

Dieselrob macrumors newbie

I have to return my Samsung Tab S as I need an otterbox case and a strong window mount for the work I do. My go to mount company I use does not make stuff for the tab s.

I need speed and have my eye on the ipad air. How are the current airs, ive read around some do they only come with 1g of ram, and does that in any way hinder the tablet?

I use maps, browsing, storage, data like it's going out of style, I drive commercially so I need a tablet that performs.

Thank you

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I personally have not had any trouble with my Air at all. It's fast, reliable, plays the games I like and runs the apps I want without any hitches. Smooth as butter on a hot plate or whatever that saying is.

Now, some people have reported issues with safari but that's across various devices and the jury is out on whether this is a real issue or something that affects just certain users and certain websites. There are other browsers that can be used which seems to eliminate browsing problems.

My suggestion is that you try an Air and see how you like it. The return policy is generous enough that you'd be able to make a decision on whether it will work for you or not. I believe it will. I have the 32GB AT&T model and its a beast. :)

3. Tyrannosaurs macrumors member

I've always felt the RAM issue to be something of a red herring as different hardware configurations and operating systems make direct comparisons pretty meaningless (1Gb of RAM on iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, whatever will result in a very different experience).

Right now the Air is generally fine, though I've seen a few things running iOS8 (mainly reloading of tabs in Safari) that suggest a bump might be due.

The obvious point to make is with a refresh due to be announced in a week (the 16th), I wouldn't buy anything right now.

4. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Browsing on the Air is a complete crapfest. Unless of course you like for your tabs to constantly have to reload.

5. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

A new iPad will be announced in a week, wait until then. Even if you are not interested in buying one, prices for the older one will drop.

6. dulaney22 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, this statement is true. Some sites or ok, but if you pull twitter, anything with comments or other "loaded" pages, the reloads are a PITA. Hopefully, the new one will fix these issues, as it's an otherwise perfect machine.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

About 95% of my time with iPad Air has nothing to do with Safari. So far Air is great but Tab S has a better HD display than Retina display. So if Safari is only thing you are concerned then Tab S or other Android tablet like Nexus 10 should be fine. :apple:

8. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I love my iPad Air. Thing's quite fast, even with iOS 8.0.2. I'd wait for these new ones to be announced though, or I'd buy the current version on the Apple Certified Refurbished iPads section of the Apple Online Store. Buying new now, unless you had a particular preference for the current design, doesn't make much sense.