Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caaalebbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Hello! I'm a student and I've been working on digitizing my library. I read books and papers on my iPhone 6 at home, work, on the bus, etc...and I find this very convenient, often more so than sitting and staring at a laptop – so I've been thinking about getting an iPad Air and using that instead of my old white macbook. All I really do is read and annotate PDFs (books or essays) and word process/write papers.

So, instead of lugging around my white macbook, I'm torn between buying an iPad (with a portable keyboard) and using that for school OR buying a refurbished 11" Macbook Air to replace my old 2009 white Macbook. I'm drawn to the iPad because it seems more casual and more convenient for reading on the bus and using in different environments. I'd use it for email, browsing, reading, taking notes, writing paper drafts (which would ultimately be completed on my iMac). But, on the other hand, maybe the Macbook Air is more practical/responsible in the long run given that both my computers are so old. I'm also wondering if the resale value and technological longevity of the Macbook Air would be superior to the resale value of the iPad Air. Would the iPad Air probably be more relatively outdated in 3 years time than the Macbook Air?

I currently have:
— Early 2008 iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HD (I replaced the optical drive with a storage HD). It seems to run as good as new with OS X Yosemite
— Early 2009 Macbook (White), 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; I replaced the battery a half a year ago.

Everything is conveniently synced up in the apple ecosystem. I'm impressed with how old these computers are and how well they keep up with new software – especially the iMac, which still looks beautiful and is very snappy.

The iMac has been running as good as new as far as I'm concerned – it's even quicker in simple tasks than the new iMacs at school, presumably because of the quick SSD. But simply being 7 years old, there is the worry that something might go bad. The Macbook's shape isn't as good (the screen is worn), but it's still fully functional (except for one problem in Safari where certain webpages freeze up the system and the screen begins to flicker – but this doesn't happen in Google Chrome – this only started yesterday and I am worrying the GPU is going or something; it seems like a problem with flash or the GPU, I don't know).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I know alot of people who don’t think there’s a need for both but I got my macbook pro yesterday and it is truely awesome. Will be great for work and general website searching. The force torch took a while to get used to but it’s an awesome feature. That said I will still use my ipad just as much. I would miss the great amount of apps on the ipad compared to the macbook. I can see why those would just think an iphone and a macbook is all they need though. Depends on your main usage.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
If you mainly use cloud or offline storage and don't need to run any monster apps then an iPad is probably fine for you. The screen is WAY better on the iPad and IMO it's a more enjoyable device to use. Actually with 128 GB of storage you don't even have to worry about storage as much as most people do!

The iPad is a better gaming device too and we know that's important, ;)

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
For your uses, you should be able to get away with only the iPad. But don't forget to think ahead. I have both because there are some things I cannot do with my iPad, like remote into our corporate site for budget analysis and purchase orders. For my 2nd job, I use TextExpander a LOT...on my MBA. While that's available for iOS, my productivity would plummet.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I think you could get away with just the iPad since you also have an iMac and will be doing more on-the-go, etc. stuff with the iPad. With apps like Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, etc. you'll be able to access and collaborate on things from your iPad. If you are not getting a device with LTE just make sure the places you'll need to use it all have wifi so you can access said files!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think you are spot-on with your thoughts about how much better the iPad is for reading, especially on the go. If that's a big need for you, the iPad will be quite good. With a keyboard it can make a passable system for writing on, and perhaps with iOS 9's multi-tasking, it will become more capable still. However, if you really need to do a lot of writing, researching, reviewing of notes, etc, the small screen size and touch-only interface quickly becomes a hindrance. Still, it could make a good companion for you if you will be doing most of the real 'work' on one of your other computers.

caaalebbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks all. Any thoughts on the potential of the resale value of the two down the line? This might be too speculative, but do you think the iPad will be relatively more outdated in 3 years than the Macbook Air?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
No, not if you buy the newest iPad Air 2 or wait for whatever comes this fall. The Macbook Air is relatively outdated now. Still, it could be that laptops have better resale as a whole than iPads. I would guess that to be the case.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I know alot of people who don’t think there’s a need for both but I got my macbook pro yesterday and it is truely awesome. Will be great for work and general website searching. The force torch took a while to get used to but it’s an awesome feature. That said I will still use my ipad just as much. I would miss the great amount of apps on the ipad compared to the macbook. I can see why those would just think an iphone and a macbook is all they need though. Depends on your main usage.
Embracing Apple. I like it!

I agree I also have a need for all three. Each device has it's own use case. Sure you could get by with one or two but if you can have all three why not.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Embracing Apple. I like it!

I agree I also have a need for all three. Each device has it's own use case. Sure you could get by with one or two but if you can have all three why not.
Yeah I'm back:)

Gone abit mad.will get the watch too when I get the new iPhone

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
What watch are you going with?

I've also over loaded myself with apple products as you know :D
Ha I think I'm going for the SS 42 with sport band. Cost fair bit more than the sport bit I feel if I'm paying alot why not go for the premium

I've seen a nice stainless steel band on amazon I like to match the watch that I would like

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Ha I think I'm going for the SS 42 with sport band. Cost fair bit more than the sport bit I feel if I'm paying alot why not go for the premium

I've seen a nice stainless steel band on amazon I like to match the watch that I would like

The stainless steel is much nicer. I started off with the sports which is nice but I upgraded to the SS a few weeks ago and there is a big difference in quality.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The stainless steel is much nicer. I started off with the sports which is nice but I upgraded to the SS a few weeks ago and there is a big difference in quality.
Yeah looks alot nicer

I figure getting the big phone I always like a watch to go with it.

caaalebbb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Well, I've decided against getting the Macbook Air – I'm going to get an iPad Air 2 (or wait for the new iPad) and try to squeeze as much life out of my old Macbook as I can. (And, hey, maybe I'll even find that the iPad is enough and that, with my iMac, I don't even need my Macbook.) Now the question is whether I should get a keyboard case, or just a case and a separate keyboard...

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Well, I've decided against getting the Macbook Air – I'm going to get an iPad Air 2 (or wait for the new iPad) and try to squeeze as much life out of my old Macbook as I can. (And, hey, maybe I'll even find that the iPad is enough and that, with my iMac, I don't even need my Macbook.) Now the question is whether I should get a keyboard case, or just a case and a separate keyboard...

You could wait for the new ipads and pick one of them(I think 9,7" ipad it's going to receive minor updates this year, maybe a9x and better speaker without vibrations)....but you should wait for the skylake macbooks. 2nd generation macbook It's going to be the best mobile computer and if you need more power, skylake 13" macbook pro could receive a redesign, and it would be the perfect pro/mobile computer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.