Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Has anyone loaded a 1080p .mkv file into a video player app on their Air 2 and able to play it back smoothly?

I know older models had a tough time with them and requires a conversion to play back smoothly.

Would be great if I didn't have to convert files prior to watching. Thanks.

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Has anyone loaded a 1080p .mkv file into a video player app on their Air 2 and able to play it back smoothly?

I know older models had a tough time with them and requires a conversion to play back smoothly.

Would be great if I didn't have to convert files prior to watching. Thanks.

Just played a video using Infuse 3.0 and it was fluid. I'll try and find something with a lot more action going on at once to see...

I watched part of Dawn of the Planet of Apes.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Just played a video using Infuse 3.0 and it was fluid. I'll try and find something with a lot more action going on at once to see...

I watched part of Dawn of the Planet of Apes.

Thank you for testing and sharing your experience, I appreciate that. Smooth playback of 1080p .mkv content could be what convinces me to upgrade from my 4.

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I just got everything set up on the iPad 4, and it's streaming from my iMac "Meet the Robinsons" in 1080p, mkv, not conversion, fluidly.

Soooo... I dunno, I'll do the same with some faster motion movies just to see if there is a difference on 802.11n network streaming vs transferring the movie to the iPad Air 2.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Hmmm, thanks.

In my experience the playback wasn't smooth but I haven't tried since it didn't work well last year. I did it by loading the file directly onto the iPad itself and the iPad is responsible for decoding the content for smooth playback. I didn't stream using the network or have another device decode the content.

The use case for this is loading up the iPad with a bunch of .mkvs before a trip, then playing them back on the airplane or at a hotel.

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Hmmm, thanks.

In my experience the playback wasn't smooth but I haven't tried since it didn't work well last year. I did it by loading the file directly onto the iPad itself and the iPad is responsible for decoding the content for smooth playback. I didn't stream using the network or have another device decode the content.

The use case for this is loading up the iPad with a bunch of .mkvs before a trip, then playing them back on the airplane or at a hotel.

Ahh, it might have been the player you were using. I tried several movies on the iPad 4 and Air 2, via network and files transferred and both ran perfect, with and without subtitles. I have to say, if you hadn't posted the thread, I wouldn't have tried it at all lol. So, I have to thank you for bringing it up. Now I need to go get a 128GB version of the Air 2 lol.

I tested this with Infuse 3 (it's free on the app store). Some files might need the pro version ($9.99) to be able to play. I bought it. Seems like an awesome app.

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Hmmm, thanks.

Nplayer

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/nplayer/id539397400?mt=8

It is hardware accelerated for mkv playback and will play any 1080p mkv on the iPad 4 without difficulties. Supports playing locally and through many protocol on the network.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Ahh, it might have been the player you were using. I tried several movies on the iPad 4 and Air 2, via network and files transferred and both ran perfect, with and without subtitles. I have to say, if you hadn't posted the thread, I wouldn't have tried it at all lol. So, I have to thank you for bringing it up. Now I need to go get a 128GB version of the Air 2 lol.

I tested this with Infuse 3 (it's free on the app store). Some files might need the pro version ($9.99) to be able to play. I bought it. Seems like an awesome app.

Nplayer

It is hardware accelerated for mkv playback and will play any 1080p mkv on the iPad 4 without difficulties. Supports playing locally and through many protocol on the network.

Thank you both. I'll check out both apps on my 4 with load up some content and see how it goes. I was using some older version of VLC and another similar app that I can't recall the name of right now. Both had failed so I thought it was an issue with the HW.

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Thank you both. I'll check out both apps on my 4 with load up some content and see how it goes. I was using some older version of VLC and another similar app that I can't recall the name of right now. Both had failed so I thought it was an issue with the HW.

Definitely not the hardware. Let us know how it goes.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I've been using AVPlayerHD for years now, and I've always been able to play 1080p MKVs since the iPad 3. It's got hardware acceleration, so while it does suck more battery than regular, the playback is smooth. And it's one of the very very few players on the App Store with official Dolby AC3 audio support

AvPlayerHD: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/avplayerhd/id407976815?mt=8

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I've been using AVPlayerHD for years now, and I've always been able to play 1080p MKVs since the iPad 3. It's got hardware acceleration, so while it does suck more battery than regular, the playback is smooth. And it's one of the very very few players on the App Store with official Dolby AC3 audio support

AvPlayerHD: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/avplayerhd/id407976815?mt=8

Thanks for the info. I remember my iPad 3 having a hard time with it and was hoping one of the things the 4 would fix. It was better but it was still choppy (using the Apps I was running). I didn't think to ask about it until now as I though it was HW related. Anyway, I did get it working... more on that below.

Definitely not the hardware. Let us know how it goes.

Last night I tried the Infuse 3 app you suggested, I had to buy the Pro version to playback the mkv I loaded and it was smooth! It wasn't a very fast paced movie (the 1st Star Trek movie, should have picked something else). Thanks again, I'll be loading up for my next trip.

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Thanks for the info. I remember my iPad 3 having a hard time with it and was hoping one of the things the 4 would fix. It was better but it was still choppy (using the Apps I was running). I didn't think to ask about it until now as I though it was HW related. Anyway, I did get it working... more on that below.

Last night I tried the Infuse 3 app you suggested, I had to buy the Pro version to playback the mkv I loaded and it was smooth! It wasn't a very fast paced movie (the 1st Star Trek movie, should have picked something else). Thanks again, I'll be loading up for my next trip.
I would imagine it had an audio format that the free version doesn't support. Free would have been nice, but I definitely don't mind supporting well developed software. This one was a no brainer for me. Glad it works for ya. I've thrown 50+ movies at it and haven't had a single hiccup. Those were all over network streaming at that. ;)

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I would imagine it had an audio format that the free version doesn't support. Free would have been nice, but I definitely don't mind supporting well developed software. This one was a no brainer for me. Glad it works for ya. I've thrown 50+ movies at it and haven't had a single hiccup. Those were all over network streaming at that. ;)

I checked the file and it was 'Dolby Digital Plus' or something like that. That must have been it.

Agreed, free would have been nice, the software looks very well developed. Just saw the option to load through WiFi off a file share server. I will have to try loading it directly when I get home. I previously used to load it on my Mac then transferred directly to the app. Doing it over WiFi directly would save some time and be easier to use.

Thanks again for the suggestion, help, and testing.

Riddick1977

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and from the UK.

Not sure if anyone as heard of this app, but it does play mkv files the app is called moliplayer. There is a free version and a premium version.

I hope this helps.

Jono

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
What is the best at playing MKV with Dolby and DTS encodes?

Looks like Infuse Pro will but I'd rather not pay $10 and find out it doesn't.

Any other options?

kendu2412

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fairfield CA
AVPLAYERHD for iPad . $2.99 . Im using this app since ipad with retina and this app play all type of video , can add subtitle , 1080p play smooth than another

mcdill

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Nplayer

Seconded with regard to nplayer. If you are an anime fan, the latest version plays 10-bit with styled subs well. Better than infuse 3 and avplayer.

I have not tried other such as glplayer or it's playing on the Air 2 yet because nplayer has been good enough.

Kind regards

ReallyNiceGuy

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Seconded with regard to nplayer. If you are an anime fan, the latest version plays 10-bit with styled subs well. Better than infuse 3 and avplayer.

I have not tried other such as glplayer or it's playing on the Air 2 yet because nplayer has been good enough.

Kind regards

What about DTS and Chromecast. Does it support these?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Since I am getting ready to travel, I bit on InfusePro.
It's not like me to spend $10 on this type of app but I was desperate.

Most of my content is DTS or Dolby and the other players I have tried, including VLC, always play with no audio.

Infuse Pro worked like a dream, it even scans my network for all video and streams them without a hitch.

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina

Most of my content is DTS or Dolby and the other players I have tried, including VLC, always play with no audio.

Infuse Pro worked like a dream, it even scans my network for all video and streams them without a hitch.

It's a great app for sure. I didn't blink when spending the money for it.

ReallyNiceGuy

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
Vancouver, BC

I tested Infuse last night. I eventually got it to work with Vuze as the server using UPnP. Unfortunately it doesn't support .mkv playback and requires the upgrade to test. It also doesn't support Airplay playback and requires the upgrade for that feature as well.

So I tested it playing an .avi and mp4. in streaming mode. I did notice video and audio were off slightly and at least in this free version, there was no ability to sync video and audio. I'm wondering what approach people are using to stream video? Using UPnP, SMB, AFP or one of the other methods. I tried to set up file sharing and couldn't get that to work.

----------

What approach did you use to stream your videos? Are you streaming from Mac to iPad or windows PC to iPad? Also have you tried streaming to your iPad and then to Airplay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.