iPad Air 2 (64GB) or 42mm SS Apple watch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by elit3nemesis, Jul 13, 2015.

?

Which would you choose

Poll closed Jul 25, 2015.
  1. iPad Air 2 (64 GB)

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. Apple Watch 42mm SS

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. iPad Mini 3 (128 GB)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. elit3nemesis macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

Which out the two options would you get if you had to make a choice today, and why?

2. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

air2
    no need to explain as they are two totally differend products.

3. David58117 macrumors 65816

Air 2 easily.

The 42 ss watch is nice (I have one) - but unless you think receiving/answering text messages and phone calls is a barrel of fun - get the air 2!

Thee watch is really just a watch at the end of the day... don't go in expecting entertainment from it.

But the air 2 is the best iPad apple has made - expect tons of entertainment from it!

4. elit3nemesis thread starter macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

I have been leaning towards the Air 2 over the watch just because of how much productivity of it. It seems from reviews the Apple watch is the phone on your wrist. I would wait to see what Apple announces on the iPad in Sept. but I really don't need the latest and greatest.

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

At this point - it's only a "phone" in that you can make/answer calls and texts when you're near your phone (which is cool, but nothing to get excited about). The speaker is a bit low, so you kind of need to be in a somewhat quiet room..but it works and I've had no issues. The dictation is also very good with sir, but you need LTE/4G, as it always fails me when I travel through 3G areas.

Basically, instead of your phone giving you a notification, you get it on your watch. I think one of the RSS news apps I have installed on it, gives you like the top 5 or so newest items. The next OS version looks very promising though, and like more functionality will be available.

Oh, driving directions are neat. If you use apple maps, it shows automatically on your watch. Then you get a different haptic pattern based on if it's a right or left turn (it also lights up and buzzes your wrist prior to your turn).

The fitness aspect is a bit behind something like the fitbit (which my wife has), or even the Microsoft band (which has a built in GPS).

So - keep an eye on it when the next OS update comes out, but there's kind of no "must have" aspect to it at this point - unlike the iPad Air 2.

6. scaredpoet, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have an iPhone 6 Plus, an iPad Air 2, and an Apple Watch Sport Black. But if I had to choose between my devices, it would go like this:

1. iPhone 6 Plus (because you can do the most with it and take it the most places)
    2. iPad Air 2 (because it's a great document reader/creator, e-mail/web device and great for light projects)
    3. Apple Watch

I love my Apple Watch and am very happy with it, but at the end of the day, it's an accessory that's dependent on the iPhone. I understand why and i appreciate that, but an iPad can still do more than the watch can, so if I were forced to choose, I'd have to go with what I do more with.

I'm just thankful I'm not in a position where I'm forced to choose. :)

Waiting for September might be a good idea, through chances are an Air 2 will still be very well supported and near top of the line for quite a while.

As for the Watch: It's a watch. A very nice watch that does very nice things, but still a watch. And granted, there are people who have paid a lot more for watches that do a lot less. But if you're looking for productivity, then get an iPad.

7. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

You're comparing apples with the moon. The watch isn't a standalone product, the iPads are.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Air 2 is the best than Mini and Apple watch. Apple Watch won't let you watch movies. Mini is too small to watch and use same OLD hardwares from previous generation.

9. anthdci macrumors 6502

I went for the apple watch because I already have a mini 2. If I didn't have that I would pick the mini over the watch.

10. birnando macrumors regular

birnando

After I got my iPhone 6+, my iPad has been collecting dust.
    So, I'd get the watch.
    That complements the iPhone, the iPad is of no use to me anymore..

11. capathy21, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Air 2. The watch is nice but after the new wore off, I ended up selling it and haven't missed it at all. On the other hand, I sold my iPad air 2 to a friend and picked up a second hand iPad Air to replace it thinking its basically the same as the 2. Big mistake. The more I used the air, the more I missed the touch id, laminated screen, and overall snappiness of the Air 2. Needless to say, I've sold that Air and have repurchased the Air 2 because yes, it's that good.

I'd say get the watch only if you already have a iPad , iphone, and Mac, and have extra money to spend. Like I said, it's nice, but to me it's a generation or two away from being a must have.

12. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

Is the 2 really that much better than the 1? I've been thinking of selling my 1 and getting a 2 with a higher storage capacity. Isn't the battery life on the 1 better ?

13. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes, battery is better on the 1. It's not a huge difference, but I notice it. The touch id is really nice and something I never realized I used so much until it was gone. The laminated display also makes a difference. The 2gb of ram helps with page reloads and will be very nice to have with ios9's multi tasking abilities.

I say go for it.

14. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

15. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

OK thanks. I think I will.