iPad Air 2, 9'7 pro, or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Brandnlu, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Brandnlu macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for an IPad, mostly for simple work related activities (emails, work website, Google sheets). Of course daily use of safari for browsing, shopping, and social media websites.

I know the air 2 is quite old now, 2014? And the pro is reaching a year old. However I read that the changes from the air 2 and the pro was not significant for my needs (am I wrong?)

I also have read that the new iPads are suppose to come out next month in 3 forms (cheaper consumer one, 10inch?, and one to replace the 12"). Regardless I will probably not fork over the cost for the 10inch which I assume is the 9'7 pro successor. Which leaves me to the cheaper consumer version I assume is the air 3. But I read the processor chip is actually going to be not as good as the current 9'7 pro....

Currently can spend $85 extra in order to buy the pro over air 2. (365 vs. 450)

So I'm quite torn on what to do. I have 3 months to make a choice since I have a credit card reward bonus.

All the help is appreciated in making a decision!

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

The 9.7 IPP is the Air2 replacement..... same size, weight and battery capacity but way better screen and more horse power.

3. Brandnlu thread starter macrumors newbie

Worth the $85 difference in your opinion?

4. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

For $85 difference, you should probably go with the iPad Pro. For $200, probably not.

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Absolutely.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

At this point, if you have three months, I would hold off until mid/late March, when the KeyNote arrives. Otherwise, the Air 2 is likely is on its way out with the current constraint as is right now. Which leaves you the 9.7 Pro option or any other unreleased iPad that may entice you.

In my opinion, the 9.7 Pro is a great iPad with a plethora of sale prices if you search. The Air 2 isn't all that much different from the 9.7 Pro (Aside from Pencil, speakers and Tru-Tone). But would be the more logical choice being its approaching its one year release anniversary.

8. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Slightly off topic, but surprised nothing has leaked out of the supply chain. I know for Iphone its tougher considering the tens of millions of phones, but with so many eyes out there, nothing for an Ipad, which should be, or very very soon, hitting final productions stages if its to be available in 2 months.

And, truth be told, the Ipad upgrades are likely to be incremental, so no new cases to leak since the upgrades will have the same exteriors (still think the bezel-less one appears with the bezel-less Iphone in the Fall) with potential updated SOC's, camera modules all from the Cupertino parts bin from the Iphone 7...but...you figure there'd be some leak for a new touch ID module or camera that has to have the various bits attached to fit into the Ipad as opposed to Iphone.

9. ACG12, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

ACG12 macrumors 6502a

I just went through this same issue (yesterday) after selling my 23 month old Air 2 with one month left of Apple Care +.

I didn't feel the A8x would be as smooth or fast as the A9x for the next two years. Plus the speakers alone are well worth the upgrade.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

11. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I'm in the same situation but I want the pro 12.9. Unfortunately I cannot find one anywhere. They are all sold out and back ordered until March.

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

For $85 its worth it to get the Pro. If it was like $150 or $200 then the Air 2 is the better choice.

I have the Air 2 and although performance is superb, for $85 I would switch just for the 4 speakers. The speakers on the Air 2 get in the way quite a bit.

13. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

I have wondered about this also. No pictures of prototype cases etc. Makes we wonder about March timeframe.

14. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

iPad Air 2 is 2.5 years old. That damn thing has aged so well and works great even with iOS 10. But soon it would be nearing end of life and iPad Pro 9.7" or iPad Pro 2 9.7" would be the way forward.

My advice:
    Wait and watch but definitely get the next "to be released" model.

I suspect, iOS 11 will make 2 GB devices struggle.

It will work well only on
    iPad Pro12.9" (4 GB RAM)
    iPhone 7 Plus (3 GB RAM)

Apple will not announce it but software adjustments will be made accordingly.

15. WashupDawg macrumors regular

Why in the world would Apple make the regular iPhone 7 obsolete through iOS11?

That makes no sense. I'm sure that 2GB devices will run just fine in iOS11.

16. Dave245 macrumors 601

Personally I would wait, March is only next month and Apple are rumoured to be holding an event where new iPads could be announced.

17. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Ios11 will run fine w/2gb devices. If I could bet you on this, I would. Easiest money ever!

18. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Conflict of views = You have no clue

New standard at MacRumors.

Even iPad Air 1, iPhone 6 Plus ran fine on iOS 8 according to some people.

19. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

So let's revisit this thread in late 2018 after ios11 drops and we'll see who was right. I'm bookmarking this thread and setting the date in my calendar.

The 1gb RAM devices might struggle with ios11 some (ip6/6+ and earlier models), those with 2gb hardware will be just fine.

Apple still has to support the 6/6+ into 2018 and beyond.

20. max2 macrumors 68000

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Making a one year old iPad Pro 9.7 and one year old iPhone 7 struggle on iOS11 would be a PR nightmare.