Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I’ve started a new thread since I’ve never seen one related to my issue with my Air 2
Mine is a dog. The touch screen is over sensitive in some places and next to unresponsive in other places. Sometimes I have to tap multiple times to get it to work (to see a link highlight or to get a cursor) and it’s so slooow you often don’t know whether it took the tap (despite seeing the highlight) because of it’s snail-like pace doing things. Is that the norm for these or is there something I can be looking at to give it a kick in the butt?
I’m way past being able to return it but if I knew it was going to be such a dog I wouldn’t have bought it in the first place. Just creating this post required two taps just about everytime to get it to respond. Complete PITA.

Thanks

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Well, something isn't right, that's for sure. I have an iPad Air 2, and it seems to be pretty responsive. So, the question is, is the problem hardware or software? I actually tend to think that the problem may be software; I suspect that one of your apps is misbehaving, and that is what is causing the slowdown. The first thing I would do is try to see which app or apps are using the most battery energy, on the theory that an app that is using a lot of battery is using a lot of CPU cycles. The Battery settings page is in the fourth group down of Settings, and it has a green icon. Make a mental note of which apps are using a lot of battery, and if it is a non-essential app or even an app that you don't normally interact with much, consider deleting it (or off-loading it via the Storage page of Settings under General - that will get rid of the executable but preserve the data).

You may also want to try turning off the setting that allows apps to perform background refresh (under Settings > General). Just shut it off for everybody in the list (top of the page). Then reboot your iPad and check to see if it is more responsive.

Finally, the definitive test for whether it is a hardware or software issue would be to wipe the data and all firmware (I do this via iTunes with the device plugged in), and restore as a new device (make sure that you get a backup first, though!). This will load the latest firmware (11.1.2 as of this writing) and will populate the iPad with only Apple-supplied apps like Maps, Notes, Safari, etc. If you've still got responsiveness issues after that, then yes, you probably have a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.