iPad Air 2 - animation stuttering

Discussion in 'iPad' started by volvic, Mar 13, 2016.

1. volvic macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a ipad Air 2 with iOS 9.2.1 and sadly since iOS 9 I experienced quite a lot of animation stuttering within iOS and I dont know if its because I never resetted my iPad or if its generally a problem of iOS 9.

So my question is:
    Does anyone else experience (sometimes) animation stuttering..
    - while opening apps/folders on homescreen (the opening animation)
    - scrolling through the multitasking windows (for me its not 60fps)
    - when you are on the homescreen and swipe down for spotlight
    - when you are in safari and click left to the adress line on the button which shows you the favorites and the browsing history (its like 20fps for me)

(those are tiny lags, some people may not even notice it)

Can someone check if those lags happen to your devices (iPad air 2)? It bothers me quite a lot and I dont want to reset my iPad just to know that its a general problem.

Thanks a lot!

2. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Look in the iOS forum, there are lots of people complaining about animation stuttering in iOS 9. I've had this issues on my iPhone 6+ all the time since I upgraded to iOS 9 and also on my iPad Pro sometimes. iOS 9.3 (currently in beta) seems to be better.

3. ShaunAFC3 macrumors regular

Yes in the same boat as you, I have the exactly the same problem on my iPad Air 2 on IOS 9.2.1 and unfortunately the problems was still there even when I done a hard reset on it. :(

Hopefully IOS 9.3 will improve the animations to go more smoothly and faster and less shuttering/lag!!!!

4. volvic thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thank you. Hopefully 9.3 will solve those lags (I doubt it though..).

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I could be wrong iOS 9.3 is reserved for iOS 10. If you don't like it you can also try Lollipop 5.0 tablet.

6. jonnyb098, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016

jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Things are much better on 9.3 , but still not perfect. The days of silky smooth anything with iOS have been over since iOS 7. The iPad pro with a desktop class A9X processor and 4GB of RAM still has stutters. Apples software will always be to blame. The hardware has been up to the task for years. No amount of RAM or processor speed you throw at iOS will solve its coding issues and poor METAL implementation for graphics (which is whats causing all the animation stutters).

People with the iPhone 6 Plus and 6S Plus in particular are taking it up the rear for Apple's crummy optimization. Using force touch in landscape is still about 5-10 FPS according to many.

7. volvic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, thats really unfortunate that iOS 9 is so bad in terms of performance/animations in comparison to iOS 6.. And I think apple's phisophie once was to deliver an incredible user experience. Its not just iOS in general, but also the apps for iOS lag way more since iOS 7. In two years iOS will probably become android 2.0...

It really pisses me off..

8. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

This makes no sense. How can an OS currently beta be reserved for an unannounced OS? 9.3 will be released on every device that runs 9.2. And Android tablets are pretty much objectively bad. Even the Android fans say that.

9. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I really like my Air 2 but I would not say my Nexus 7 running Marshmallow or my Galaxy Note 4 were "pretty much objectively bad". I would say they're very good, in fact.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Really? I don't think Lillopop 5.0 is bad. Kit Kat was the worst. I have enjoy watch PIP video anywhere but I could not move iOS PIP except on the 4 corners.

11. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I thought I was the only one with bad performance on iPad Air 2 with iOS 9, Everywhere I looked, people always say that the Air 2 was smooth, but for me, sometimes Control Center pulls up about 3 seconds after I swipe up than freezes for another second, same with spotlight search, and opening and closing apps stutters.

12. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Galaxy Notes are not tablets. The Nexus 7 is so small it only qualifies barely. Android has never been very well optimized for tablets and even Android N is just barely beginning to introduce stuff that Windows and iOS has had for years on their tablets.

13. sparksd macrumors 6502a

True but the Nexus 7 is a tablet.

14. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I acknowledged that it is indeed barely a tablet. The issue is that it's small enough to not suffer from the lack of tablet optimizations in Android.

15. sparksd macrumors 6502a

I also have an Asus TF700T 10" tablet - please enlighten me as to what tablet optimizations I'm missing on it.

16. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

You really seem to have your mind made up, so I shouldn't bother with you. But anyone with even a high level familiarity of the Android ecosystem can tell that vast majority of apps are not optimized for tablets. They take a phone sized UI and stretch it to the size of the tablet display. Android makes the distinction between tablet compatible and optimized apps and there are far more compatible apps. The Android operating system is largely the same way. Take a Nexus 7 running marshmallow and a Nexus 6 running marshmallow and the OS looks virtually identical. Very few touch elements are resized or relocated for easer operation. The Google Play store also does not distinguish very readily between tablet apps the way the App Store does. Those are just a few general examples.

17. sparksd macrumors 6502a

As you seem to have your's made up. Sorry, but I just don't see it so no use hijacking this thread any further on the subject.

18. volvic, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

volvic thread starter macrumors newbie

I updated to iOS 9.3 yesterday, and quite a lot of stuttering was gone afterwards.
    - no spotlight lag
    - scrolling in mails is smooth again
    - multitasking view is a lot more fluid
    - less lag when opening apps (but its still there, when I swipe a few times through the homescreens and then open the settings, there is a lag. But when I open settings again, it is smooth..)
    - pinch to zoom is more fluid

But it was still not smooth enough for me. I just reseted my ipad completely, but that didnt do anything really (besides that the animation when clicking on the button in safari for the favorites and history is now smooth). I still do get tiny lags when scrolling through the homescreens and sometimes when opening apps. Also the scrolling for example through the background pictures (in the settings) is laggy as hell. It sounds like whining on a high level, but when u used to a 95% smooth OS (like the latest version of iOS 8 was and I think also the first version of iOS 8), its kinda annoying.. Hopefully when the last version of iOS 9 arrives, it will finally get out of beta.

19. ShaunAFC3 macrumors regular

That is great to know!! :)

I am going to update to 9.3 tonight on my iPad Air 2 and hopefully it will improve things and makes things(that you said above) to be a bit more smoother and be more lag free!! :)