iPad iPad Air 2 battery?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DrGonzo76, Nov 10, 2014.

1. DrGonzo76 macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2011
    I am thinking about getting the iPad Air 2 and have been reading some complaints about the battery life. If I do purchase the iPad Air 2 it will be replacing the iPad Mini 1 (non-Retina Display). I was wondering if anyone can provide any input as to how the battery life of the iPad Air 2 compares to the iPad Mini 1. I was very happy with the battery life of the mini and if the Air 2 lasts as long or longer, than I will be totally satisfied and will go ahead with the purchase.

Thanks for any input.
  2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Sep 29, 2008
    The Air 2 is my first iPad but in my experience the battery is pretty good. The longest it's lasted was 3 days with a total usage time of 10.5 hours. I use the brightness a little over 50% and spent most of the time on Safari, YouTube, and Twitch. A few games here and there but not for longer then say 10 minutes. The standby time is really really good which is why it lasted me so long since I only used it a few hours every day. I believe I was on LTE for about an hour total.
  3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

Sep 23, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I wouldnt worry - usually when there are battery problems it ends up being either a bad battery or the user has things turned ON that they "swear" they didnt have turned on or some other extreme use case theat they assume doesnt use a lot of battery but it does. ;)

Apple does a good job with batteries and the Air 2 will be no different.
  4. DrGonzo76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the iPad Air 2.
  5. rexboe macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2012
    The battery is not as good as my Air 1 was but it is good enough I get 10 hours of usage normally.
  6. miamialley macrumors 68030

Jul 28, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA

I can't compare to the mini, but I get about 12 hours on a full charge. The battery is great. That definitely shouldn't be a concern. Have at it!

Attached Files:

7. GlenK macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2013
    St. Augustine, FL
    I'm getting battery life pretty much as advertised at 10 hours. Very pleased so far.
  8. MrXiro macrumors 68040

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    From my experience it does not last longer. I felt like my first Mini lasted a really long time and the battery drain was minimal (as it should be since it uses a very much tweaked/perfected A5 which was 2 generations old by the time the Mini was released). iPad Air 2 drained a fair bit faster.

I find myself charging every 2-3 days now while my Mini was once a week. It's on par with my Mini 2 though, which I charged every 2 or 3 days unless I wasn't using it very much that week. I haven't given my Air 2 a break since I got it though so can't say how well it does on stand by and by "standby" I still have emails being pulled every 2 hours.

It does last the 10 advertised hours though. It's just not as long lasting as the Mini 1 or the Air 1.
  9. Unami macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2010
    battery time of my air is definitely worse than on my original ipad 1 - but it still lasts "long enough". I can't tell you much about actual running time - because playing cpu intensive games like anomaly 2 for hours sucks battery like crazy. :) . I guess it'd reach the 10+ hours with light usage (safari, movie watching), cellular turned off and brightness turned down to about 30%.
  10. slenpree macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2010
    I'm getting about the same on the air 2 as I was getting on the mini 2 before I sold it. However I was getting best battery life on the mini 2 when I got it and either the battery deteriated a noticeable amount in 12 months (unlikely) or iOS 8 could do with a few more patches. The different is minor mind you and I can still get a whole day of heavy usage out of the air 2 but I the past I've been able to get a day and a half of heavy usage. Nevertheless if this is due to downsizing the battery from what the iPad 4 had then this is no big deal because that thing was a brick in comparison.

11. JuliusCaesar macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2014
    With my iPad Air 2 I'am getting between 10 and 11 hours of normal use ( Youtube, Safari, some games, and a lot of English Football "soccer" on weekends). Like others here said before, the stand by time is great, when I come from work late in the day the battery is lower by 1 or 2 % only. With my old iPad 3 I used to get 12 to 13 hours, but I believe that the usage patterns were different. Sorry for my English, it is not my first language.