All iPads IPad Air 2 box vs iPhone 6 box

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mad-jamie16, Oct 22, 2014.

1. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

Weird how the iPad Air 2 box didn't follow the style of the iPhone 6 boxes, with the blank top and iPhone shaped cutout?

2. WashupDawg macrumors regular

For us uninitiated mortals, please post a picture.

3. Skika macrumors 68030

Ipads get everything new a year later after the iphone. Besides chip upgrades.

4. mad-jamie16 thread starter macrumors regular

5. addictzz macrumors 6502

I think iPad box looks better. iPhone 6 box is far too bland.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Who really cares what the box looks like lol.

7. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

What I think is strange it says iPad Air.

It should really say iPad Air 2 or just iPad.

Even on the label on the back there is no mention it is a 2. Must be a nightmare for resellers.

8. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think Apple has been trying to not show the OS on the box. Look at newer Mac packaging vs the older boxes.

I think the 5s box was a half step in that direction with the plain wallpaper.

Apple might think that people will get confused with the different wallpapers that are used from version to version, so they just show the device now. And because so much of the device is the screen, some people might think they have a different device of the wallpaper is different.

Also, notice how Apple shows the white dot wallpaper on the new support documents, instead of the current default wallpaper. It depreciates the attention that the wallpaper usually receives to show the device and the icons.

And sometimes the look of the OS changes. It doesn't look very elegant to have an iPhone 5 box look different than the device you use.

9. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I disagree, I love the design of the iphone box :p

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

iPhone box just says 'iPhone' as well.

Maybe Apple skimped on printing costs for the iPhone box :p

11. ABSjazz macrumors member

ABSjazz

Precisely. 10 million+ iPhones = that many boxes. Can't imagine the cost of packaging alone.

My other theory is that there was an error or mistake on the box design caught at the last second and with no time to adjust, so they just went with the blank ones.

12. macduke Suspended

macduke

Or even retailers. Maybe if I'm lucky I can find some old "iPad Air" models in the clearance section with markdown stickers, lol.

13. Cyberius11 macrumors regular

Steve Jobs did. He wanted perfection, on not just the inside and outside of the device, but the packaging. The way a device is presented is meaningful to some, even if it's not meaningful to everyone. It shows the company gives a ****.

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I agree that presentation matters. What I don't agree with is people wanting it to be consistent with other Apple products boxes lol.

15. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Clearly the Apple Apologists are out today in droves especially in this thread. It is nothing minimalist or aesthetic or being eco-friendly. It is done purely to reduce printing costs which are calculated as per the ink used per square inch.

When millions of iPhones are sold, the tiny savings add up. It affects profitability.

16. addictzz macrumors 6502

I agree. At least to me, the packaging matters as much as the device. It shows how much effort you give to design and create the product. Steve Jobs is well aware of this.

17. mad-jamie16 thread starter macrumors regular

IPad Air 2 box vs iPhone 6 box

I remember when I sold my iPad 3rd gen, the guy I was selling it to wasn't exactly a tech whizz and trying to convince him it was a retina and not a 2nd gen was murder. Nothing on the box to indicate it was and going "look at the screen,it clearly is retina" didn't work very well!
    Definitely a pain in the ass not having the specific model on the box.

18. cannono macrumors regular

Guys with how many SKUs launched on iPhone 6 with record sales, it was just one less thing to worry about by not putting a specific lid color. Probably a little cheaper too.

19. addictzz macrumors 6502

Can't blame him. Retina experience was not apparent for untrained eyes.

20. vortronn macrumors newbie

Huge issue with my purchase

I agree - the labeling is so confusing that I thought the wrong item was shipped to me. I purchased online from Best Buy and what I received was a box that simply says "iPad Air." There is no mention of the v.2 so I have spent 24 hours trying to navigate customer service (nightmare due to holiday shopper volume) to get the correct iPad Air 2 that I wanted. I didn't want to open the box if it was the wrong thing. Turns out, the Air 2 model number in SUPER FINE PRINT is on the back and distinguishes the iPad Air 2 - MH2M2LL/A. How is the consumer supposed to figure this out?? Crazy train, Apple.

21. chipdavis1 macrumors newbie

iPad Air 2 Packaging

Well, I just received my iPad 2 in the mail and when the packaging said "iPad Air", I called the vendor telling them they sent the OLD iPad.

It was while I was on hold and googled the model number "MGTY2LL/A" that I realized I actually received the Air 2.

Even in the small print it doesn't say anything about Air 2 with Touch ID. I think that is bad on Apple's part.

22. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Believe it or not there are some subtle ways to distinguish the Air and Air 2 boxes from each other although I wouldn't expect most consumers to know this.

1) iPad Air 2's box says ":apple: iPad Air" on the side in color matching foil and the top and bottom being blank. iPad Air's box said just "iPad Air" which was printed on the side in black and silver foil logos on the top and bottom.

2) iPad Air 2's box shows the iPad in direct side profile where you can't see the front display at all. iPad Air's box is in a certain profile where you can still see the bezel and display.

3) iPad Air 2's box shows no side switch. iPad Air's box does (since it has a side switch).