iPad iPad Air 2 Camera Update

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wu-TangDan, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Wu-TangDan macrumors newbie

Do you suppose they will use the same camera specs in the new iPad that are included in the iPhone 6 plus? My gut says yes, but I'm not sure how much they want to cannibalize iPhone sales by offering the same specs on the iPad.. Then again, they might want a boost to the underwhelming iPad sales too. I'm totally getting the new iPad regardless since i have been saving since the first iPad Air came out, but I would love to see the optical image stabilization, fast auto focus, and 224 fps slow-motion capabilities included in the update. Any thoughts?

2. cababah macrumors 68000

ipad cameras have never been on par with the current iphone and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

3. Wu-TangDan thread starter macrumors newbie

That's kind of what I was afraid of! I guess I'll just wait and see in October while maintaining a little optimism.

4. dgreene196 macrumors member

Based on iPad usage, I'd like to see a significantly upgraded FaceTime camera (or whatever branding the front-facing camera has) on the iPad vs. the rear-facing camera. Obviously, it's personal bias based on how I use my devices, but I'm much more likely to use the front-facing camera on the iPad vs. the rear-facing. If I'm taking pictures, I'm more likely to use the more portable device (iPhone) or an actual camera rather than an iPad.

5. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

To be honest I think the most likely case will be that they do the same thing they did with the iPad Air/rMini. I don't remember specifically because they've tweaked all the cameras so much without having complete feature transitions. What I mean by that is they don't always "Put the iPhone 5 camera in the new iPad Air", sometimes they "Improve the iPad 4 camera by having better low-light capabilities" which means they didn't completely replace the sensor with the iPhone 5's, they instead just updated a part of it, but are keeping the old sensor.

Anyway, I just looked up all the details since I wasn't 100% sure. The new iPhone 6/6+ cameras are the same as the 5/5s. The only difference is the front facing camera is now f/2.2 aperture instead of 2.4 (slightly better low-light capability) and the rear camera has focus pixels now which makes for faster focusing. Facetime camera is still 1.2MP, and rear is still 8MP.

Current iPad Air/iPad Mini have f/2.4 aperture rear cameras (5/5s feature) with older 5MP sensor. The front facing camera is unlisted with aperture, so I'm guessing it's the very old f/2.6. Both have 1.2MP front facing cameras, the same resolution as the iPhone 5/5s/6/6+. Given this information I would suggest that the new iPads would likely be given f/2.4 aperture for the front facing cameras, and then perhaps f/2.2 for the rear. Potentially a bump to 8MP but I don't think so. I definitely don't think they'll get optical image stabilization, that would make the camera jut out (as on the iPhone's), and also cost them way more money which would raise the price of the iPad Air (possible, but stupid).

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I think it will get a mention, but will remain 5mp.

But PLEASE Apple, for the sake of decency, don't make a protruding camera on the iPad. It doesn't bug me on a phone since I told it, but I also rest the iPad.

7. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

I agree with tweaked performace but retaining the same megapixels. And by tweaked performace, I mean iPhone 5s quality pictures not iPhone 6.