iPad Air 2 charging issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Charliebird, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Recently I've noticed an issue with my iPad Air 2 where I plug it in for charging and everything looks ok however it's not charging. If I unplug and plug it in again it eventually starts charging. This started around the time iOS 11 came out however I can't say it's related. The charger works fine with my iPhone and a have a couple different chargers sitting around the house. Is my iPad Air 2 dying or is there a fix to this issue?

2. sparksd macrumors 68020

I saw this with my Air 2 and changing chargers (was 3rd party) fixed the issue. The charger worked fine with other devices but did not play well with the Air 2 (was not a cable issue).

3. wolfboy macrumors regular

I thought I was the only one! This happened with my Air 2 as well after updating to iOS11 using the original cable and charger, though it's doing it much less with 11.02+

4. louis redfoot macrumors member

louis redfoot

if you’re using an aftermarket cable or charger, those things aren’t made to exact specs and tend to disconnect easily. plug/unplug until it charges and don’t move too much.

it almost never happens when i use the original charger, always happens everywhere else

5. Cheruman macrumors member

Cheruman

Exact same thing is happening to me, I'm using the original charger & cable. Only seems to have happened since the upgrade to iOS 11

6. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I am having the exact same issue with my iPad Air 2 using an official Apple Lightning cable and charger. Started afte iOS 11. Thanks for posting. At least I know it’s not just me.

7. iraklis9 macrumors newbie

i was preparing to send my ipad back to the store when i saw this thread. It started after upgrading to ios 11 and happens both with the original charger and with my iphone's charger. It shows that it is charging but it's not. I have to unplug it and plug it again. I hope it's just a bug.

8. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I notice that I plug it in and it starts to charge, but within a second or so it stops charging. I started keeping an eye on it after leaving it charging overnight and discovering it hadn’t charged.

9. chedder’mac macrumors member

chedder’mac

have the exact same issue after updating to iOS11, using the charger and cables that came with it, thought it was an ipad issue at first but changed the cord and charger with the one the came with my 10.5 and now haven't seen any more issues...keeping fingers crossed...

10. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds like there's something going on here. If I use the 10W charger that came with my iPad Air 2 it has the issue. If I use the 12 watt charger that came with my wife's 2017 iPad I don't see the issue. Both chargers work fine on my iPhone.

11. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

For what it’s worth, I changed to a different outlet and now charges fine. iPad Air was having this issue.

12. newellj macrumors 604

Is there any chance that there's dust/lint/crud in the lightning port? I had this issue with my iPhone 7, and it was just crud in the port.

13. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just try my 10 watt charger after upgrading to 11.1 and it charged find. Maybe 11.1 fixed it?

14. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

10W charger user here. That’s what came with my Air 2, and the one I’m having the issue with. It hasn’t happened with 11.1, but I’ve only had that on the iPad for 24 hours.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    I’ve had it on various outlets and even plugged into my MacBook Pro.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    I thought that at first, so I inspected the port and it looks fine. It is intermittent.

15. newellj macrumors 604

@tromboneaholic I'm not pushing anything here, honestly, but coincidentally my problems started after upgrading, and I actually didn't see the crud (otherwise I would have gotten it out myself with a toothpick, rather than having it done by a Genius)...and mine was intermittent. Some cables would charge, others wouldn't, or would only charge occasionally or would start then cut off. I realize that it's unlikely that you all are having the same dirt/lint problem I had at about the same time, but it also seems crazy that Apple could have f'd up an iOS update in such a way that devices wouldn't charge.

16. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I didn’t take it that way (that you were dismissing anything). It was a helpful suggestion.

I’m not an Apple hater. In our house we currently have 2 iPhones, an iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, 2 Apple TVs, 2 Apple watches. iPad mini 4 and iPad Air 2 (not to mention all the desktops and laptops we’ve happily owned like the original Ti PowerBook, Macintosh Classic, 7200, 8500, Quicksilver, iBook, and ipods).

iOS 11 has been one of the roughest upgrades I can remember going through since Windows 95 on my PC. I THINK iOS 11 might finally be ready for prime time with 11.1, but unfortunately I don’t trust this update cycle enough to say that they didn’t screw the pooch so badly that certain devices would have intermittent charging issues under certain conditions.

17. newellj macrumors 604

@tromboneaholic Thanks. To let you know how I see iOS 11, i have it installed on my iPhone 7 (mostly because of my Watch), and I'm happy with both performance and battery life. But I installed iOS 11.0 and 11.0.1 on my Air 2 and Mini 4 and was very displeased with performance (battery life appeared unchanged). I went back to 10.3.3 while Apple was still signing it and am going to be very cautious about going forward again. I have an iPod Touch Gen 6 that I think will definitely stay on 10. Short version: yeah, messy. Sympathies. :-/

18. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

On the Air 2, iOS 11.1 feels ok, but unless you really want the dock, I don’t think there is a compelling reason to upgrade iPad.

19. newellj macrumors 604

I am reading opinions both ways on the Air 2 (surprise!!!). The two things I liked about iOS 11 on the iPads were the new keyboard and the expanded/more flexible dock. I did not like the laggy, choppy performance. The Air 2 is still a fabulous piece of hardware. I hope all the performance, charging and other issues get resolved promptly.

20. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

A lot of the choppiness seems to have been resolved with 11.1. Hopefully if the charging issue was iOS related, they resolved that too!

21. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Just an update: this issue has gone away since iOS 11.1

22. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same here.

23. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

My Air2 came with the 12 watt charger, how long ago did you purchase your iPad?

24. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

When it was originally released.

25. ChrisChaval macrumors 6502a

ChrisChaval

idem

tried a hard reset prior to 11.1