Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shacky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
On every previous iPad I have owned, the iPad will charge while it's plugged into the charger and while I am using it. The exception being if you were using a small charger like a iPhone charger in which case you would get the Not Charging message.

On my new iPad Air 2, even using the 10 watt charger that came with it, it says Not Charging while I am using it.

Is this the way it's suppose to be?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Something might be wrong there. I'd used my iPad loads of times while plugged in, and haven't ever gotten a Not Charging message.

Just this morning it was totally dead and I plugged it in and it booted at 1%. Watched the entire Lord of the Rings movie, and it was at about 50% when I was done.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
On every previous iPad I have owned, the iPad will charge while it's plugged into the charger and while I am using it. The exception being if you were using a small charger like a iPhone charger in which case you would get the Not Charging message.

On my new iPad Air 2, even using the 10 watt charger that came with it, it says Not Charging while I am using it.

Is this the way it's suppose to be?
You might consider upgrading to the 12W charger than comes with the iPad Air.

shacky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Ahhh- so I may accidentally be using an old charger instead of the one it came with? Thanks! I'll check it out in the AM.

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
You could also have a faulty charging cable. I had that happen once... Wouldn't charge, but swapping cables fixed it.

shacky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
In case anyone else has this issue...I swapped out a couple lightning cables and found that with one of them, it works fine. So, I guess that was it. BTW, I do have some that are OEM and some 3rd party cables, not sure which are which.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.