iPad iPad Air 2: Finally delivering the iPad's original promise

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Xeyad, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Back in 2010 when Steve Jobs first introduced the iPad, its original premise was that the tablet should be "far better at key tasks than a laptop and a smartphone." Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBhYxj2SvRI

While the iPad did provide a better experience than the smartphone, it never matched the PC. Apple kept improving the iPad, but in terms of key tasks like web browsing and productivity, it never seemed to match the fluidity and utility of laptop. However, after 4 years and 5 versions of the iPad, the 6th-generation iPad Air 2 finally reaches PC-territory in key areas.

The Air 2 is fast; really fast. With every iOS device, Apple always keeps making it smoother and make iOS less laggy, but the Air 2 feels different. iOS 8 on the Air 2 feels more like a desktop OS, it terms of (a) opening heavy apps like garageband or opening a huge PDF document are all almost instant and beautifully fluid and (b) multitasking is more real than ever as switching between 6 or 7 apps is super easy and stay opened the entire time. The performance out of the Air 2 is very PC-like and I believe I can finally use the Air 2 as a PC-alternative.

Web browsing on the Air 2 is the best browsing experience I've had ever on any device. I've tried the heaviest of websites and opened more than 10 tabs at a time, and the Air 2 is as smooth and stress-free as ever. I've had many iPads before this, and browsing always seemed stressful on the device and crashes were part of equation. I believe the iPad Air 2 is finally better than a laptop and a smartphone in browsing the web, because it's more enjoyable and more interactive than a laptop and just as powerful, and it's better than a smartphone because of the screen realestate.

The iPad Air 2 makes me excited for the future of the iPad and the power it has now finally showcases how good of a device the iPad can be.

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I still don't think that the iPad does anything better (technically speaking) than any desktop OS based computer. It is actually much worse than that.
    Steve Jobs said it, yes, but I think "better" is defined differently for non technical people that cannot really use a PC. The first iPad was already better at most common tasks, at least for normal people that cannot handle a desktop computer. For everybody else the iPad is much worse..

3. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

I disagree. I've owned every single iPad since the original, and every iteration I've tried to use it to replace a laptop for 90% of tasks, and every year I just become more and more frustrated.

I tried an iPad Air 2 out at the store, and whilst it is no doubt the best iPad yet - I felt exactly the same about each and every iPad before it. Then as time goes on, it starts to slow down, crash and infuriate me - so I start to look towards the next model in the hope that it resolve all the issues I have. Even when it is working 100%, I still always feel like I could be more productive with a MacBook.

Anyway, this year I decided to not upgrade and I've just sold my Air with the funds put towards a new MacBook pro retina. I've also bought an iPad mini 2 (with LTE) to use whilst I travel, as for this purpose I think the iPad (mini especially) is fantastic. It's just when I'm at home, or at a desk, or sat down anywhere I just don't see the advantage of an iPad over a MacBook.

Just my opinion, anyway! Everyone is different.

4. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

I agree completely with the original post,

I haven't used a laptop now for 2 years and am more productive than i ever was by using iPad.

I actually understand the operating system virtually 100% unlike on a laptop (windows based) I never completely understood the operating system and always felt like everything was a mess.

People feel that they are restricted by using iPad, in certain cases ok yes, but with IOS I find there is always a way to solving problems. And when you understand the operating system and have all the software (apps) installed, you will find out how fast you actually can be using it.

It truly is such a pleasure to work with!

5. donnaw macrumors 65816

I agree with what you say about productivity. But that is a software (mostly the OS) issue. The thing I see different about the iPad is that Apple finally decided to beef up the internals so that richer apps and, hopefully, a more robust OS can now be written. I'm hoping that Apple is at work on a revamp of iOS to take advantage of I, as opposed to the phone OS we have now.

In my opinion, the consumer market is saturated with tablets. The only market open for growth now is enterprise. And frankly I don't see most real enterprise users wanting to replace their laptops with something that can't attach a document to a reply. Or can't attach more than one document at a time. Without some sort of user folder where people can access their work, organize it, well I can't see it happening.

If not 2015 then 2016. But you know Apple, they go really slooooooow.

6. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Until the days exists where we don't have to say "I better do this on my computer," this will not be true.

Now, the ipad is way more convenient in many circumstances, but not all, and really hindering in others.

For a nitche few people this might work, but overall, you're still going to have things you simply can't do on an ipad (yet), but can do on a regular computer.

7. Xeyad, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

Xeyad thread starter macrumors 6502

I respect your opinion guys, but the reason why I feel the iPad Air 2 is more special than any iPad before it is the sheer power of this thing just makes it much more usable as a laptop alternative or replacement than any before. I've been using iPads since the original in 2010, and it always felt limited in terms of moving between apps or having a desktop-like browsing experience. With the Air 2, you can move between a 300+ page PDF file and a huge word document or presentation and copy and paste between them so instantaneously and the experience is like a regular computer. I can browse between 10 or 12 tabs and it will not reload; again, much like a PC, but better because it's way more portable. I could go on much more about how the power of the A8X is helping the iPad to become a lot easier to be productive on. The point is that I feel the Air 2 is a stepping stone into something much more and I feel the iPad is going to become something special :rolleyes:

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The form factor has definitely its merits. but also some disadvantages. Text input will never be as good as on a laptop or a desktop computer. Typical productivity stuff will never be so good. Yes, the iPad will improve over time, but its biggest advantage, the form factor is also its biggest limitation.
    I think of the iPad more for content consumption and basic productivity. Nothing more than that.
    I will certainly start a concept document on my iMac and not on my iPad, but I would use an iPad to read the document, or make very small edits.

9. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

You need to find out how the iPad can help your workflow.

Most consumers could easily throw their laptop out the window. All they need is E-mail, Web Browsing, Social Media and Media consumption and the iPad is the best experience for all those things.

If you are creative, this is where the iPad can shine. As a graphic artist, I feel the iPad Air 2 might be the first iteration of the device that becomes a permanent part of my design workflow.

It has always been a great companion for digital painters and artists but not necessarily for productive graphic design.

But I think thats starting to change.

In fact, its the iPad Air 2 that i hope will inspire my creativity. As an artist I feel closer to my work on a touchscreen interface and with the addition of programs like Pixelmator, it just shows that the iPad is actually catching up to desktop class applications.

There is something drab about sitting at a desktop to inspire creativity. I mean I understand the need, I myself work as a full time graphic designer and my primary job is page layout. So I basically live in InDesign.

I just find it hard t be inspired on a traditional PC anymore.