iPad iPad Air 2 for 1080p MKV & Web Dev

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sjackson, Oct 3, 2015.

1. sjackson, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015

sjackson macrumors newbie

My MacBook Air is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm considering splitting it across two devices: an iPad and a Mac mini (or indeed a MS Surface 3 & a micro PC) mainly as I'm now commuting an hour+ each way to work and I'm thinking an iPad would be more portable than another Air.

So my use case would be email (Google Apps), document reading and editing, 1080p MKV (assume full blu-ray rips of around 30GB), Spotify and some light web development (think HTML/PHP file editing and uploading to FTP server to test in addition to maybe light image editing if possible (resizing mostly)). I'd expect to need to modify and sync files from Dropbox.

So I think the iPad Air 2 could do all that and probably the most resource intensive part is the 1080p movie watching.

I have considered the iPad Pro but the 128GB option is going to be cost prohibitive I think. Will the iPad Air 2 drop in price once the Pro is released?

Thoughts?

2. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Air 2 all the way...especially at this time. It might not drop at this point...even if IPP does come out. It is mainly because of different category. You might as well buy regardless of where you buy it. It's the 2gb ram that makes the difference.