iPad iPad Air 2 in addition to iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SuperPolli, Oct 22, 2014.

?

Should I buy an iPad Air 2?

Poll closed Nov 1, 2014.
  1. Buy iPad Air 2

88.9%
  2. DO NOT Buy iPad Air 2

11.1%
  1. SuperPolli macrumors regular

I recently purchased an iPhone 6 Plus, 64 GB, from AT&T. I also have an original iPad Air, 32 GB, which I am selling this weekend. My question is, is it worth it for me to get another couple of hundred dollars to buy a 64 GB iPad Air 2, or should I just stick to my iPhone 6 Plus.

My situation:
    I take road trips or flights 2-5 times per year
    I have a Kindle for reading books
    Buying an iPad Air 2 would require me to spend even more money.

Thoughts?

2. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I have an iPhone 6 plus and a Mini (retina). I was going to sell the mini and get the Air, but decided to wait. Now I'm thinking of getting the air 2.

3. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Honestly, if you havent even sold the Air 1 yet I would just keep it. If you are already considering going ipad-less the air 2 isn't much of an upgrade.

Im kinda in the same boat as you btw. I got a 6 plus right away and i have a 64gb LTE Air. Im also an Apple junkie and love upgrading when i can, but im passing on the air 2.

Maybe ill consider upgrading if that silly 12.9" ipad pro rumor comes to fruition or just see what the air 3 is like next year.

4. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I have a 6 plus, a retina mini and an air.

Plan was to keep the air, use the 6 plus for more of the things I use the retina mini for, and sell the retina mini.

Now I'm getting the air 2, and am also selling the air. So, 6 plus and air 2 for me.

P.S. Glad the mini 3 is so backwards, stopped me having a hard decision like the retina mini and air was last year :)

5. Freakyshiat macrumors regular

sell ipad air, get mac air :)

I have a 6+ and 13 inch air, perfect combination. When I put my phone down, I want multitasking and other capabilities, local drive access, not just a bigger screen ios device (ipad)

6. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

My wife is getting my Mini 2 and I'm getting the Air 2 because the screen size difference between the Plus and the Mini is too small. I miss having my iPad 2 for the casual couch-side browsing. I mainly had my Mini for toting around campus between various meetings, but the keyboard is too small to type on quickly compared to the Air. I also prefer drawing and editing photos on the bigger screen. For on the go, the iPhone 6 Plus is the way to go. If you want a sweet couch computer that you might occasionally tote around town, then the Air is the way to go.

I'm also going from an LTE iPad down to a WiFi model. iOS 8 Instant Hotspot makes it really easy to connect, and the iPhone 6 Plus has a huge battery that can easily handle hotspot access compared to previous iPhones. So that's already $130 cheaper and $10/mo cheaper since I have Verizon that includes hotspot.

7. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I am getting an iPhone 6 Plus and an iPad Air 2

I'm upgrading from an iPhone 5S and an iPad 3

I was upgrading the iPad even before I heard about the 2GB RAM

I also own a MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" (2012). However, in the 2.5 years owning my iPad 3 I seem to use that more than my MacBook.

After most people BEGGED and BEGGED for 2GB RAM. I find it curious that they now state that the iPad Air 2 still isnt much of an upgrade. What the hell you all want it to do? Cartwheels?

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I upgraded my phone from a 5S to a 6 Plus and I'm upgrading my iPad Air to an iPad Air 2. For me the advantage of using the 6 Plus is when I'm out and about or at work where I can't use my iPad. For those situations and occasions when I can use my iPad I rather use that, for example at home, when I travel, sitting in a cafe etc. Personally I think they compliment each other and are a great combination.

9. cababah macrumors 68000

In case you haven't noticed, there's always something to complain about around here...

10. SuperPolli thread starter macrumors regular

People will always complain about something Apple does. I usually try to ignore it, aside from a few minutes ago when I went back at someone dissing the Mac Mini.

----------

I like the sound of this, because it fits what I would be if I get an iPad Air 2. Thanks for the input.

----------

I have AT&T and the Hotspot included on my iPhone 6 Plus. My MBP usually only goes with me to major meetings, production sessions, client meetings, or tech support situations where the client's computer is broken to the point where I can't access the Internet from their device. My iPad Air goes with me everywhere else though, along with my iPhone 6 Plus. So at this point I'm wondering if due to the fact that screen of the 6 Plus is HUGE I can just cut the iPad Air out of that equation. The thing is that it also serves other purposes for me (mainly being that I can have a device to use when I can't use my phone (i.e. plane trips)).

----------

Not sure what you mean by saying "the mini is backwards". True, it only received a minor spec bump in this year's update, but it certainly didn't move backwards.

----------

I have very little interest in the 12 inch iPad rumor as 1) I don't believe it will ever come to fruition and 2) I have a 13 inch MBP, if I wanted a portable that big I would get a 13 inch MBA, but I don't. I like the iPad for that reason, that it falls directly between my iPhone and my MBP.

11. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

here's the thing; i sold my Kindle Paperwhite 2013 not because i plan to buy Kindle Voyage but 6+ fits the bill perfectly as my ebook reader on the go.

Air 2 replaces my ipad 3 for home & away entertainment & a lot more :)

12. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

To be fair, i wasnt one of the people begging for more ram. Its certainly nice, but the ipad air is very capable. The air 2 wouldnt really change how i use or experience my ipad in use enough to warrant an upgrade. Thats what it comes down to for me.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not keep your current iPad air, instead of selling it?

I think the model you have right now is more then up to the task, especially coupled with the IP6+. I say keep the tablet you have, and not spend any more money.

14. ipadlvr macrumors regular

A 5.5" phone isn't that big. Mine is 5.2" and it isn't nice to be on it all day for everyday things like browsing and watching videos. It is great on the go, but for a long time, get the Air.

The 5.5" seems huge now but give it a few months and it won't seem as big.

If all you do is read books, then stick with the kindle.

It all depends what you do with the iPad. You didn't say. And why are you selling your iPad Air? The only reason I can think of is that it isn't used much.

15. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

This month is a big upgrade month for me. I went from a 5s to a 6+ and I'm going from the original Mini to the iPad Air 2.

Not sure how much I'll use the Air 2, but I couldn't resist the trade in deal I got on my Mini and wanted to get rid of it while I could still recoup some value out of it.

16. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

iPad Air 2 in addition to iPhone 6 Plus

I have the iPhone 6 with the iPad Air and ordered the iPhone 6+ and the iPad Air 2. I think they both make a good combo.

17. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

I'm in a similar situation. I have the 6+ and an iPad mini 2 that I bought last year. I love the mini, but I planned on going to a new mini next year. After the keynote however, it seems like Apple is always going to make the mini a nerfed version of the iPad and it will never be the highest spec'd device. So whenver I get a new iPad I will be going back to the 9.7 size. (Honestly I do miss the larger screen too, to a degree, love the mini, but love the Air size too...)

I can't decide if I should go ahead and sell the mini 2 now and grab the Air 2....or if I should wait out one more year with the mini 2, buy an Air 3, and probably end up keeping the mini 2 at that point....

18. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

iPhone 5S and iPad 4 user upgrading to the iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus. I was initially going to go with the 6 but the battery life of the Plus won me over. No more Mophie packs for me! :D

19. SuperPolli thread starter macrumors regular

That was definitely a big selling point for me. The battery life on my 6 Plus is wonderful!

20. donnaw macrumors 65816

Same old argument. 'Most people'. I highly doubt that the people who were 'begging' for the extra RAM are the same people who don't think this wasn't a good upgrade.

So stop with the wide-brush declarations.