Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I left this forum to the apple store expecting my new air 2 to start discloring the moment I hold it and speakers to distort when played at max volume. Lol.. This forum is crazy. iA2 is easily an amazing form factor. The fact that I can browse various apps come back to safari and not deal with dreaded refresh is worth upgrade alone!

Anyways, if any of you on the fence, it's a definite buy. I've held the iPad Air 2 like I held my iPad's prior, I don't see any problems with the display.

shrug.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I agree. The forums just make it look like the Air 2 will have problems because this is where people come to talk about their problems. I have no problems with my iPad Air 2 and I love it.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I agree. The forums just make it look like the Air 2 will have problems because this is where people come to talk about their problems. I have no problems with my iPad Air 2 and I love it.

Actually Doctor, I think your statement can be applied any Apple device on the forum.

Shadow Runner

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
It's really a great product. So great that I don't see the reason to sell it for a newer one anytime soon.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
All products have defects. Most people post online only when they exp. defects.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
I left this forum to the apple store expecting my new air 2 to start discloring the moment I hold it and speakers to distort when played at max volume. Lol.. This forum is crazy. iA2 is easily an amazing form factor. The fact that I can browse various apps come back to safari and not deal with dreaded refresh is worth upgrade alone!

Anyways, if any of you on the fence, it's a definite buy. I've held the iPad Air 2 like I held my iPad's prior, I don't see any problems with the display.

shrug.

Yeah it's so awesome. The screen distortion is so blown out of proportion it's unreal. The speakers do make it vibrate but only at 70%+ and they are much better quality anyways especially in regards to base. Definitely not a deal breaker.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The A8X is a beast and the 2GB of RAM is awesome.Its very nice to go use a couple of other apps and have safari perfectly the way I left it, no refreshing with multiple tabs open. Its a pity everything else uses 1GB. Even an iPhone 6 feels sluggish at times in comparison. Lets face facts here. Theres just too many under the hood additions to iOS 8 to NOT use more than 1GB of RAM. This isnt iOS 5 or 6 anymore. Yet 1GB has been the norm for almost 4 years now. Sad. Cant wait for the 6S to blow everything else out of the water like the Air 2 does.

Agreed all the speaker and screen garbage is blown way out of proportion.

phillymacuser

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Great product!

I just purchased my Air 2 this past weekend and I coulnt be happier. It performs great and the feel is awesome! Every year a new product will be released that is better than the model it replaces, this is a fact. That said, this product does not disappoint! Air 2 rocks!

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
While I admittedly never see the screen distortion in normal use, I do see it if I am carrying the iPad and it is turned on. It is not something which detracts from its appeal, but it is a vast oversight and should never of happened.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I think it's a great tablet except the vibration from the speakers. I returned it because it was that annoying (plus I cannot justify paying $600 for a tablet that constantly vibrated in my hand).

But regardless, if you get an iPad Air 2, it should last a long time due in the increase in RAM/A8.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
The iPad Air 2 is the best tablet ever made, imo.

and basically everybody else that reviewed it. It's only this forum where you will hear the contrary. People love to bitch these days it's unbelievable.

----------

While I admittedly never see the screen distortion in normal use, I do see it if I am carrying the iPad and it is turned on. It is not something which detracts from its appeal, but it is a vast oversight and should never of happened.

It's weird, I wonder if some iPad Air 2 have it worse than others and it's a manufacturing thing.
I had to return 2 ipad air 2 for excessive backlight bleeding., I swear I always get unlucky with iPads on the 1st or 2nd attempt in regards to this (never with the phones or macs). However none of them had screen distortion, even when carrying. I mean I have to press on the back way harder than I would ever do in real usage to make it distort. Let Apple have a look at it.

ALE5510

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2015
and basically everybody else that reviewed it. It's only this forum where you will hear the contrary. People love to bitch these days it's unbelievable.

----------

It's weird, I wonder if some iPad Air 2 have it worse than others and it's a manufacturing thing.
I had to return 2 ipad air 2 for excessive backlight bleeding., I swear I always get unlucky with iPads on the 1st or 2nd attempt in regards to this (never with the phones or macs). However none of them had screen distortion, even when carrying. I mean I have to press on the back way harder than I would ever do in real usage to make it distort. Let Apple have a look at it.

Yes, the "problem" of the distortion of the display have all. I must admit that I did panic when I saw for pure case by lifting the right side the ipad a small distortion.
Going to the Apple store in my town did change with another, who presented the same "problem", as well as ALL ipadair in the store.
all this is due to the type of construction dell'ipad air 2: thinner frame and glued to the LCD display. if you look a ipad air 2 to open immediately realizes that the right side of the device is more sensitive to the pressure due to a small "empty".

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Yes, the "problem" of the distortion of the display have all. I must admit that I did panic when I saw for pure case by lifting the right side the ipad a small distortion.
Going to the Apple store in my town did change with another, who presented the same "problem", as well as ALL ipadair in the store.
all this is due to the type of construction dell'ipad air 2: thinner frame and glued to the LCD display. if you look a ipad air 2 to open immediately realizes that the right side of the device is more sensitive to the pressure due to a small "empty".

I don't get distortion in normal use even without a case. I definatly need to press quite hard to make it distort but that applies to any screen really.
I don't understand why people have this issue or say it's an issue.

ALE5510

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2015
I don't get distortion in normal use even without a case. I definatly need to press quite hard to make it distort but that applies to any screen really.
I don't understand why people have this issue or say it's an issue.

Certainly there will be people who have an ipad the defective, but it is technically and clearly certain that the right side dell'iPad air 2 is more sensitive to the pressure. in my case mon occur with normal use, but with a little more pressure than usual, perhaps you can see this phenomenon.

There are no perfect products. For example, I'm waiting for the go ahead for an RMA for a ShieldTablet -.-

P.s.
I just tried it on an ipad 3, on a tablet asus and on a samsung. The distortion occurs on these devices pushing so hard (very strong!) On ipad air 2 this distortion occurs on the left side, where there is the battery, with a pressure medium strong (not with normal use). In the right part dell'iPad with an average pressure (always with a no-normal use) appears distortion. All this because of the structure dell'ipad air 2. As a matter of fact not a finding.

Another example? Try a ipod touch 3g and 4g. The ipod touch 4g thinner, has the same effect of distortion dell'iPad air 2

Last edited:

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Certainly there will be people who have an ipad the defective, but it is technically and clearly certain that the right side dell'iPad air 2 is more sensitive to the pressure. in my case mon occur with normal use, but with a little more pressure than usual, perhaps you can see this phenomenon.

There are no perfect products. For example, I'm waiting for the go ahead for an RMA for a ShieldTablet -.-

P.s.
I just tried it on an ipad 3, on a tablet asus and on a samsung. The distortion occurs on these devices pushing so hard (very strong!) On ipad air 2 this distortion occurs on the left side, where there is the battery, with a pressure medium strong (not with normal use). In the right part dell'iPad with an average pressure (always with a no-normal use) appears distortion. All this because of the structure dell'ipad air 2. As a matter of fact not a finding.

Another example? Try a ipod touch 3g and 4g. The ipod touch 4g thinner, has the same effect of distortion dell'iPad air 2

Yes I do understand that certain spots are more sensitive, same with the previous Air.
All I am saying is that on my air 2 I have to press way harder than I ever would under normal use to make the screen distort, even without a case. I have never seen my screen distort, even when I'm trying to remove it from my case to clean. It wasn't until I read this forum that I realised people complained about this, but again in my opinion only when using unreasonable pressure. Either I got a magic iPad or some people grip their ipad like a hammer.

ALE5510

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2015
Yes I do understand that certain spots are more sensitive, same with the previous Air.
All I am saying is that on my air 2 I have to press way harder than I ever would under normal use to make the screen distort, even without a case. I have never seen my screen distort, even when I'm trying to remove it from my case to clean. It wasn't until I read this forum that I realised people complained about this, but again in my opinion only when using unreasonable pressure. Either I got a magic iPad or some people grip their ipad like a hammer.

I agree. The distortion can be achieved only picking her look, or if you hold in your hand in the right side with the right hand and using a holster (smart cover for example) with the top open dangling, the weight would exert a kind torsion facilitating distortion in walking. Or if you grab on the right to bring it up even then it can happen to see a little distortion. no moral problem, just more delicate, incidentally is also very thin.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
I agree. The distortion can be achieved only picking her look, or if you hold in your hand in the right side with the right hand and using a holster (smart cover for example) with the top open dangling, the weight would exert a kind torsion facilitating distortion in walking. Or if you grab on the right to bring it up even then it can happen to see a little distortion. no moral problem, just more delicate, incidentally is also very thin.

Yeah.
I just can't distort it unless I use unreasonable pressure.
I can make it distort more easily if I hold it with my left hand on the left side in landscape, and than use my right hand and start trying to firmly push/press on the right side. That's totally unreasonable scenario in my opinion tho because I am exerting pressure on the unibody on one side while firmly holding it in place on the other side. I tried all other possible ways (I had mine for 4-5 months now) and I never made it distort under normal use, with or without a case.
I'm not saying it's perfect because certainly the vibrating with the volume cranked up could be described as an issue. However I think that is again totally blown out of proportion.

Last edited:

ALE5510

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2015
I found the other images in which is shown the internal dell'ipadair 2. It can be seen as the left side is actually more "empty" and therefore subject to distortion with an average pressure.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Yeah it's so awesome. The screen distortion is so blown out of proportion it's unreal. The speakers do make it vibrate but only at 70%+ and they are much better quality anyways especially in regards to base. Definitely not a deal breaker.

Not that I'm complaining because it doesn't really bother me, but mine vibrates if any sound at all is coming out. It could be on the lowest setting for sound, barely audible, and will be vibrating.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Not that I'm complaining because it doesn't really bother me, but mine vibrates if any sound at all is coming out. It could be on the lowest setting for sound, barely audible, and will be vibrating.

Holy crocodiles! Don't you know people can't have different opinions about the same product. You didn't take your iPill this morning, did you.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Personally I don't mind the vibrations. Because of them the Air 2 produces some of the clearest and richest audio of any iDevice I have heard yet. Plus, when I am playing something on it at that volume I usually don't have it in my hand.

As for the screen distortion, mine does act up but its nothing major. I have to put pressure on a certain point and press hard enough to make it feel like I'm about to bend the device for the distortion to show up. With my Smart Case on it never happens and I am very pleased with my iPad Air 2.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
It's finally the "perfect" iPad. I get the vibration thing, but it just doesn't seem like a negative at all to me. Better speakers are bound to transmit more vibration to the chassis, and these speakers sound just great to me.

The screen distortion is also a non-issue. Sure, I can press and twist it to make it distort for a second-but that's not gonna happen if you just use it normally.

The extra RAM really counts, and the form factor is ideal.

So overall-yes, it's quite impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.