iPad Air 2 leather case vs pro Smart Cover and back

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TorontoSS, Apr 6, 2016.

1. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this out of pure curiosity as I don't have an iPad Pro 9.7 (happy with my Air 2) but I wanted to know your views.

I quite like the Air 2 leather case. I wanted to know your thoughts around the pro silicone back/Smart Cover and the leather case.

- Which is better - leather case or the back / cover combo?
    - which is heavier?
    - is the back (without the cover) heavier than the leather case?
    - what's better to hold?

Thanks a lot!

2. Sillythink macrumors member

leather is much better, I even love my "air2's cover + no case" rather than "pro 9.7 + cover + case".
    If you don't use case on pro 9.7 the smart cover is **** and the camera bump **** too.

3. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

I like the silicone combo better. It is slightly heavier but it feels more secure, more snug, more buttery/grippable, the lip around the device is firmer and easier to hold, has better color choices, and I think it will show wear a lot slower than the leather case did. I wish the silicon was cheaper and one piece but otherwise the silicone combo wins for me. The back case alone is lighter than the leather case as a whole.

4. Sillythink macrumors member

Ya the silicone combo feel great but I can feel the weight, thinking should I return the silicone case since it also charge too much + the weight.

5. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - so it seems that the new combo feels better and fits better but is heavier overall. But I guess when you're actually using it (and take off the cover part) it's lighter. That's good to know!

6. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

I doubt you'll find a lighter, non hard plastic shell case though. But the price is exorbitant.

7. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Yeah it's a lot more than "slightly" more in weight. I'm gonna keep it though.

8. Sillythink macrumors member

To be honest, it is quite heavy comoare to nothing but no case or cover protection make me worry when I put the ipad on table becuase of that camera bump..

9. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Data time

According to my postal scale:
    Naked iPad Pro 9.7 - 15.7oz
    With back case only- 1lb 2.7oz (3oz difference from naked)
    With back and front- 1lb 6.4oz (6.7oz different from naked)
    In old Air smart leather case- 1lb 5.4oz (5.7oz difference from naked)

So there is a one ounce difference between the old leather case and the new full silicone case.

10. Sillythink macrumors member

Nice thanks.
    So case cover combo almost make the weight of small pro same as big pro.

11. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised.

12. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

According to Apple, the big pro is 1lb 9.2 oz naked.

13. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks for this. I find this very useful. Takes away the need to guess!

14. urkel macrumors 68030

I love Smart Covers, but what exactly are people protecting with a "Smart Back"? The metal backplate?

I used to use full body Invisible Shields but that was more to give it grip than to protect anything. My first few iPads I treated like jewelry because I just didn't know if they were fragile or not. But by iPad 4 then I would throw the thing across the room, shove it in backpacks and use it on our stone kitchen counters. Not once have I seen a dent or even a deep scratch that would make me say "Wow, I really wish I invested in a hard plastic back.

So I honestly am curious what everyone is so worried about. What is so fragile on the back that it needs a heavy $60 back plate.

15. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of using this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MoKo-Transl...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2W9JVEMMG88KL

Paired with a midnight blue smart cover for my space grey iPad... However, I have usually only used a smart case on previous iPads, how strong are the magnets attaching the cover when putting pressure on the screen typing/ writing etc