iPad iPad Air 2 Not Working After 2 Days! Black Screen Please help!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iRobby, Dec 27, 2014.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

So frustrating! I updated my iPad (3rd Generation) White with an iPad Air 2 Space Gray on Christmas Day. It was my big Chridtmas gift.

I absolutely LOVED it. I love how light it is as well as Touch ID I had a PERFECT screen no problems! I used it on both Christmas Day and Friday.

Then just before falling asleep in bed last night (Friday) I was checking email and the "Mail" app CRASHED. No biggie I just figured relaunch it.

But the app WOULDN'T open!

I tried opening other apps NOTHING opened!

I was able to navigate the home screen swiping back and forth from each page of icons. Also it switched back and forth Portrait to Landscape.

So then I figure ok no biggie just power down and RESTART.

I held down the Power Button to swipe the Power Toggle.

I got NO Power Toggle

I kept pressing down the Power Button repeatedly. Still NOTHING!!

So then all of a sudden the screen GOES BLACK!

And after sitting in the charger since last night the screen still WON'T turn on! It remains black.

HOWEVER, the iPad is STILL powered on!

I know this due to when I hold down the home button SIRI activates and since I don't say anything SIRI says, "Sorry Robby I didn't catch that"

Also, both my iPhone and iPad have same notifications. So when I get a notification sound and notification on the iPhone I also hear the notification sound on the black screened iPad.

Also, when I go to Find iPhone the iPad shows up ONLINE Activated.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Or what caused it? PLEASE HELP!!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You should take it in to the Apple Store, I bet they'd swap it out for you right there.

3. 2259 macrumors member

Press and hold the Home button (Touch ID Sensor) AND the power button at the top of the iPad. Hold both buttons down together for 10-15 seconds until you see the Apple logo on the screen, release both buttons at this point and the iPad will start up.

Hopefully that works for you?

4. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

The iPad is already powered on but no display on. SIRI operates and I hear the notification sounds

5. dilap macrumors 6502a

Still try it, as it will force a restart. Apple will fix it right away though, good luck with your iPad air and I hope you can fix it.

6. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! It worked! What caused this to happen though?

7. dilap macrumors 6502a

Glad you fixed it. It was most likely a software bug as a restart fixed it. It may have been the black screen of death, which is a black screen after a critical system error perhaps the mail app causing a error.

8. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

9. wjereb macrumors member

I had this happen on my iPad Air 2 for the first time the other day and I have had it since release day. I just did a restart as mentioned above. No harm, no foul.

10. 2259 macrumors member

Superb. Glad it worked. :)

11. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

2259 is exactly right. I've owned every model of iPad except the Air (1), and I've had to do a Hard Reset (Power button & Home button force reboot) on all of them at one tim or another, but it is uncommon. It's like doing an SMC reset on a Mac. This should always be in your tool box of things to try before having a panic attack.