Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Hello,

I currently have an iPad mini 2 and I'm considering getting a bigger screen iPad. If only Apple released an iPad Air 3, I would've gotten that. But, they kept the Air 2 around. The issue I have is that the Air 2 is "last year's" model and technology. (It's the tech geek in me.) So then I look at the iPad Pro since it's the latest and greatest. However, it's the first-generation of the model, and historically it's always better to wait for the next version.

I use my current iPad mini 2 for Web surfing, watching video, playing games, and social media (Twitter and Facebook.)

So, if money wasn't a factor, would you get last-year's tech (iPad Air 2), or the first-generation model (iPad Pro)?

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Ethan Coohill

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Denver
In same boat. I'm going to go with the air 2 probably. Especially since I have a MacBook Pro 13

iPad pro isn't worth it unless you are a architect or something

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I'd say it has a lot more to do with what you want to use it for than which technology is "the best" or whether or not it's a first-gen of the model (which is debatable seeing as how it's an iPad with proven internals, bigger or not). I got my iPP to carry around with me as my daily driver instead of my 13" rMBP; I'll also use it to take notes in meetings and stuff at work (once my Pencil arrives in a few weeks). If I just wanted an eReader or something to watch movies on, I'd probably have just stuck to my Air 2, which is a great tablet.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I'd get the Pro. Go big or go home.
x2. After 2 days of use with my IPP, I wont go back... My 6+ fills the need for a smaller more moble device. I noticed that I was using my Air 1 less, as the 6+ was big, now I think I have the best of both worlds.

Sissyboy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I have both. Get the Pro! Unless... you are a book reader. Then I would suggest the Air 2.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hello,

I currently have an iPad mini 2 and I'm considering getting a bigger screen iPad. If only Apple released an iPad Air 3, I would've gotten that. But, they kept the Air 2 around. The issue I have is that the Air 2 is "last year's" model and technology. (It's the tech geek in me.) So then I look at the iPad Pro since it's the latest and greatest. However, it's the first-generation of the model, and historically it's always better to wait for the next version.

I use my current iPad mini 2 for Web surfing, watching video, playing games, and social media (Twitter and Facebook.)

So, if money wasn't a factor, would you get last-year's tech (iPad Air 2), or the first-generation model (iPad Pro)?
Money wasn't a factor in my decision but I ended up recently purchased an 128GB Air 2 for $549... there are similar deals going on for the next few weeks.

The iPad Pro shows promise, but not nearly double the price worth of promise. I'll re-evaluate my decision with the iPP 2 is announced.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Definitely, definitely go and play with a Pro first before deciding on which one to buy. I used one for about half an hour today and cannot imagine it replacing my iPad Air 1. It may be great for specific use cases, but for browsing Facebook, reading, watching Netflix etc. the size seems more of a hindrance than an advantage.

Just one example: I can't reach the middle of the keyboard in landscape when holding it. I write lots of notes on my Air in landscape and the split keyboard is really great. I couldn't find a way to split the Pro keyboard, and could barely reach the middle keys without laying it down on something. This probably is OK if you're at a desk with a Smart Cover, but for places I use my iPad most (sitting on the bus, in bed etc.) it would just be much more difficult.

Again, Pro buyers have their reasons, but I can't see one being a realistic replacement for most people's current iPads. If you draw a lot, or wish to run two iPad apps side-by-side often then it may be great. But I think it's much more of a laptop replacement than an iPad replacement. Don't be sucked in by it just being the newest, as I believe that the Air and Pro are really quite disparate devices. The Air is simply a much more convenient size for 90% of the things people (traditionally) use iPads for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.