All iPads Ipad air 2 or wait for air 3. What would you do?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by krazyleb, Jan 20, 2016.

1. krazyleb macrumors member

So I currently have an older iPad 3. It's been a great tool for me but the truth is its starting to age. So i've convinced my self I'm going to upgrade it.
    Rumors are that a new iteration is around the corner(march).
    Would you wait?
    I just don't want to wait only to be disappointed when they dont announce it lol

2. aces99, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

aces99 macrumors 6502

aces99

If you are not in a panic and can hold off I would wait a bit and see if the Air 3 will be released soon. Rumour is it should be released in March. But if you need one now I would go ahead and get the Air 2. I heard it is a fantastic device and am sure you will be more than happy with it. I am looking to upgrade myself but I am going to wait for the Air 3. If the Air 3 is an upgraded Air 2 it is going to be one great machine. Can't wait.

3. krazyleb thread starter macrumors member

Well I could wait. No reason I cant other than simply wanting it now.
    I'm sure either would be leaps over what I have now.
    I think I could wait till March. Dont want to wait later thou...

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If there is nothing in March chances are it will be in october. In that case you might as well get one. I would wait a few months.

5. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I also have the iPad 3 and wanted to upgrade. There will always be a better model around the corner. I chose to keep what I have because for my uses it still works just fine.

6. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Where is this rumor from? Last I heard was regarding WDCC 2016.

7. krazyleb thread starter macrumors member

I find mine is getting slow. IOS 9 just doesnt run as smooth as 7 or even 8 ran on it.

8. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yeah I left mine on 8.3, I started to notice updates hardly improved things. If you want an iPad air 2 my advice is go buy one on apples refurb site. Same iPad thats for sale now but refurbished with the same warranty and a lower price.

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

There is no credible one...Air3 will come in Oct.

Whether you want to wait or not makes no difference to me.

10. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

I'm holding out for the Air 3 but I am also on the much newer Air. I think if I was still using an iPad 3, I'd be ready to upgrade now, heh.

11. aces99 macrumors 6502

aces99

Mainly from KGI's ming-chi-kuo, who has a pretty good track record on Apple products, and other posts on this forum and others. Nothing concrete though, they are all just rumours and best guesses. I also read somewhere that Apple does have an event planned in March sometime. So maybe something will be said then. If not then I would get the Air 2 unless you are willing to wait for September. I am in no big panic so I am going to wait for the Air 3 regardless when it is released.

12. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

OH okay. i understand that it's just rumors....but at first I thought MR announce air 3 rumors...and I was like."oh wow..where is it?" I still think air 2 at this time is still good. It has 2gb memory.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

think march is unlikely as we would of heard some leaks by now.

14. username: macrumors 6502a

15. Clauoita macrumors newbie

Well, I think it depends from your use of this device...maybe today you can also find interesting prices for iPad Air 2 and with it you can still go ok for a few years. iPad Air 2 is a great device and in your situation I will not wait for the new one

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I agree, though if I was in the market to buy an Air 2 now, I'd have a tough time paying full price. (full price of a new one for a new one, or full price of a refurb for a refurb)

It'll be hard to top the sales that went on last Fall, but it is possible for another sale to pop up at the end of January to mid February.

17. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I was in the market for the Air 3 last fall and when it wasn't released I had planned on waiting. Then I found the Air 2 for $150 off at Staples and got one. Glad I did. This thing is great. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait til March to see if the Air 3 comes out. If not jump on the first $100+ off sale on the Air 2.

18. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

This is the correct answer.

19. gpspad macrumors 6502

I did the same thing ;)

I only had a miniR and I was one the fence, jumped on an air2 from staples on black friday. I actually kept it in the box until a few weeks ago.

I was waiting for a good deal on cellular version. Nothing ever came around, so last week finally opened it up, and glad I did. Vibrations are a little weird at first, but its so fast, and the touch ID is awesome.

If a good deal comes up on a mini4 its going to be hard not to update my other iPad.

20. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Get the air 2. Apple's greatest device I believe. Forget about iPad pro.

21. Liquinn Suspended

There's always something new around the corner :/

22. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

Wait it's coming soon

23. Leo90 macrumors 6502

I had an iPad Air 2 and now I have an iPad Pro. I have to say that iPad Air 2 is powerful enough to last a few years more, but now I would wait for the iPad Air 3 announcement so you get a better deal on the iPad Air 2. However, if you can spend a bit more, I really recommend the Pro.

24. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

I have an Air 2 and it's great. Very powerful and more than most users will need. Couple nitpicky things are that battery life could be a bit better, the aluminum housing could be more solid (feels like I could bend it if I *really* wanted to) and the vibration when music plays can be annoying.

The experience on my 6s+ is so buttery smooth with great battery life (thanks to the new A9) and feels super solid with the improved 7000 series aluminum housing. 3D Touch is very, very cool and feels like a sleeping giant, so, might be a good feature to have going forward. I will probably get the Air 3 if the specs match up.

I know I sound like an advertisement, but I feel like Apple nailed the 6s and I want the matching iPad!

25. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I upgraded from the iPad 3 to the Mini 4. I now like the smaller form factor better except for digital magazines, which I have to zoom in on more.