iPad iPad Air 2 or wait for Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by freediverdude, Oct 16, 2014.

  1. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2006
    #1
    So, given today, should we go ahead and purchase an Air 2, or wait til early next year to see if there is a Pro model coming along? Interesting decision to make....
     
  2. thedeejay macrumors 65816

    thedeejay

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada.
    #2
    iPad Air 2 or wait for Pro?

    Air 2. Or the wise decision would be to wait and see what they both have and then get the "Pro" or the "Pad Air 3"
     
  3. iF34R macrumors 6502a

    iF34R

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Location:
    South Carolina
    #3
    We?

    What's your situation? If you have an iPad Air, would the upgraded CPU/GPU and touch ID be enough for you to want it? If so, then yes, buy it.

    Even with an older model, does the new specs and touch id, show any benefit for how you use the iPad? If so, then buy it.

    Seems like an easy decision to make.
     
  4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

    Surf Monkey

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2010
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #4
    Seems to me that the smart money is on waiting. As nice as the Air 2 seems, it really looks like a .5 release to me. The external design is basically the same as the Air/Mini 2 and while the new screen is cool it and TouchID don't strike me as enough to warrant the upgrade. However, now that we see that Apple is capable of making these ultra thin screens at iPad sizes and we know that there's a good chance they're scheming on a bigger iPad with more "pro-focused" features, it seems likely that there'll be a complete top to bottom redesign of the whole line within the next 12 months. At least, that's my take. Apple rolls stuff out in increments. We now have the last gen iPads with next gen internals. Next well get next gen internals with next gen enclosures.

    Or I could be completely wrong. Who knows?
     
  5. 007p macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    #5
    I'm definitely waiting for a pro now.

    I wasn't exactly expecting more from the ipad air 2, but there wasn't enough there to make me want to replace my ipad air yet. Which is probably fair enough.

    But similar specs, split-screen multitasking and a larger screen. Yes please :eek:
     
  6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

    12vElectronics

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2013
    Location:
    California
  7. thedeejay macrumors 65816

    thedeejay

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada.
    #7
    See here's the thing. I agree with some of your points; however, I have a rMBP and if I required something that needed a big screen then I'd use my MBP. Also, I used to have an iPad 2 that I got in August 2011 and I sold it this August, so I'm 3 years behind. Me getting an iPad Air 2 will make it feel like a completely different experience compared to your situation as from an Air to an Air 2 wouldn't be that big of a jump. If I was in your situation, it would make sense to wait.
     
  8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #8
    Air 2 is a nice tablet computer. If I wasn't getting the Note 4 and wasn't happy with the 1st gen iPad I still have, I might want one. Also having the rMini is very nice. If I didn't have an iPad or was upgrading a 3-4 year old one I would be pretty stoked about the Air 2.
     
  9. Markiie macrumors 6502

    Markiie

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles, California.
    #9
    I have a iPhone Plus and a Air....I'm torn about getting the iPad Air 2.

    I might wait for the Pro but part of me wants to see what the OS is like with 2GB......
     
  10. iF34R macrumors 6502a

    iF34R

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Location:
    South Carolina
    #10
    Might wanna wait to even see if the Air 2 will have 2GB RAM. It's all speculation right now.
     
  11. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

    Surf Monkey

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2010
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #11
    Yes! Completely agree. I should have prefaced my comments by making it clear that I'm coming from the perspective of someone who already owns an iPad Air. I also own a MacBook Air. Either way, for me it's a wait and see situation. If you're on an older iPad? I can see how an upgrade now would make a lot more sense.
     
  12. thedeejay macrumors 65816

    thedeejay

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada.
    #12
    I respect peoples' opinion (like yours), if it's made and justified without reason to bash. Most people on the forums nowadays just seem like they would want to bash you for anything you say :confused:
     
  13. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

    Surf Monkey

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2010
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #13
    Ain't THAT the truth!
     
  14. Markiie macrumors 6502

    Markiie

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles, California.
    #14
    Sounded like it was announced with a A8X that was leaked a few days ago.....
     
  15. kis macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #15

    The Air 2 is a massive improvement for you, if:

    - you intend to take pictures with it
    - you play games a lot
    - you're sick of entering passwords

    Why anybody would wait for the "pro", which may never actually materialize, or the MacBook Air, which isn't even the same category of devices, beats me.
     
  16. Donoban macrumors 6502a

    Donoban

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2013
    #16
    Interesting decision to buy now or wait, what you're proposing is an activity in speculation. I suggest the following, wait until the pro eventually comes out then ask yourself if you should wait for the pro 2 or not.

    Once you can answer that, then you have your answer. Buy now or wait.
     
  17. bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2014
    #17
    Wait since iPad Air 2 Will be the most short livet iPad ever. It has 1 gb ram like iPad 3. 2 GB is not confirmed and many places says 1 GB. I am now almost certain it is 1 GB.
     
  18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #18
    Alternate title for this thread:

    iPad Air 2 or wait for Godot?

    ----------

    Many sites are claiming 2GB too. 50/50 chance either way. Whatever you base your info on it's a gamble either way.
     
  19. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    #19
    You could wait for whatever. iPad air 2 is out now, and we know nothing about the Pro. The Retina iMac was rumored way before it launched
     
  20. rabbitjetta macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2010
    #20
    I have a first gen mini and love it. I use it often but use my 6 or Retina pro more due to the portability or the higher end power and keyboard of the mac
     
  21. Teste macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    #21
    Dude, your options are: iPad Pro or iPad Noob. Is there even any doubt? :eek:
     
  22. justin216 macrumors 6502

    justin216

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2004
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    #22
    iPad Air 2.

    There's no guarantee the iPad Pro will come at any point in time until it's announced, so you may be waiting until next Summer or Fall. Heck, they may mothball it and start over. It would make the most sense to me to announce it with other Pro products at WWDC, but that would be May/June/July 2015.

    If an iPad Pro does come and has the features you want, flip the Air 2 on Swappa (or similar) and order the iPad Pro. That's what I'm doing at least.
     
  23. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

    Surf Monkey

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2010
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #23
    I don't intend to take pictures with it, the games I play on my iPad won't benefit from the A8X and I don't really care about entering passwords on my iPad much. These are all things that were an issue on my iPhone but are now solved.

    Now, as to the rumored Pro: there's no doubt that Apple is going to do something with the iPad line. It may not be a larger "pro" iPad, but it will be something. Even if it's only a redesign of the enclosure next year, it'll still be a change. So, again, FOR ME, the Air 2 is not a significant enough upgrade to warrant a buy. I'll wait until the next revision to see what Apple does with the line... because they will do something with it.
     
  24. Motawa macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2012
    #24
    just buy the air 2 and if the pro comes out sell your air 2 and add a few $ :rolleyes:
     
  25. New Apple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2012
    Location:
    Kristinestad
    #25
    just get the air 2

    u can always buy the Pro 2 or 3 (if it ever comes out)

    fact against dreams
     

Share This Page