iPad iPad Air-2 predictions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Italianblend, Oct 7, 2014.

?

Predict what we will get with the new iPadAir (note- not mini or pro, just Air2)

1. Base Model Upgraded to 32GB

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Base Model still at 16GB

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. Gold/Silver/Space Grey Colors

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
  4. Current Colors

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. 2GB Ram

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
  6. 1GB Ram

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  7. NFC/Apple Pay

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  8. No NFC

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  9. 256GB Option

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  10. Same everything - just upgraded processor

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  11. Thinner

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
  12. Thicker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Same Thickness

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Going to make a poll. Predict what you think we will have with the new ipad air!

2. Trahearne macrumors 6502

What about a 3x scaling (like iPhone 6+) that brings the resolution to 2560*1920 with a ppi of ~330?

3. Angriff macrumors member

They really wouldn't need 3x scaling at that resolution. They could just offer a zoom mode of the old 1024x768 points and a native mode with 1280x960 points 2x retina that would have objects around the same size as the iPad Mini screen.

4. Trahearne, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

Trahearne macrumors 6502

This might make browsing experience on iPad worse, unless the viewport width is kept at 768/1024px, I would say. The advantage of an full-size iPad is IMO the fact that it always displays stuff larger as compared to Mini of a particular virtual point size.

Though I definitely agree that extending the virtual point size of the screen might be a better idea, particularly apps may make an assumption of any UI elements displaying in the same physical size on both iPads, so that the larger display can be utilized better.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say thinner with a better camera, that's about it, oh and touchid.

6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Credible rumors are already claiming 2GB of RAM (which I'd imagine would be exclusive to the iPad Air version of the processor [for context: the A7 in the current iPad Air was a faster and bigger chip than the one that was in the iPad mini and the iPhone 5s; therefore, as rumored, it's possible that the next iPad mini will have the same CPU as in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, while the iPad Air employs a variant that has potentially more RAM and at least a faster clock speed]).

They're also claiming TouchID support, as well as a gold color option. They claim it might be thinner (hence the mock-up posted months back), which would be possible by using different screen/glass technology than what is found in the current Air. The thinner element would also enable them to tweak the current design to more closely resemble the iPhone 6 family. (With any luck, this will lead to a redesign of the current iPad Air smart cover as it is a definite step down from the iPad smart cover that preceded it. Unfortunately, this likely wouldn't apply to my current iPad Air; though it's still desired so that they fix the smart cover product line so that it's not as annoying to use and ugly in color as it is now.)

7. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Aww, nuts, I forgot about the camera. My Bad. Sorry.