iPad iPad Air 2 reviews are stupid - don't read them

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipadlvr, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ipadlvr macrumors regular

Usually they go like this:

"The iPad Air 2 is the best tablet apple has ever made. In fact, it is the best tablet anyone has made to date, however, we are afraid that's just not good enough"

Idiots.

"The iPad Air 2 is the best tablet you can buy, but it faces competition from other who have split screen multitasking"

Let me ask these morons 2 questions.

1) if you want split screen multitasking, go buy one of those tablets.why don't you?
    2) if split screen multitasking is such a saught after feature then why aren't those tablets that have it not selling much?

The Surface is basically a laptop running full windows. Forget split screen, you can do anything you can do on your desktop. How many of those has MS sold?

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Let's be real, iOS can be better optimized for iPad.

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I'm buying an iPad Air 2, but there's no doubt that it could be better. And split screen multitasking is becoming standard with a lot of tablets, I don't think it's too much to ask for.

4. DaiPlusPlus macrumors newbie

The rumors we saw earlier this year suggest that Apple is working on split-screen but they don't think it's ready yet - or they're holding out for the iPad Pro SKU next year.

I can't say I'm needing a split-screen view given what I use my iPad for, if I need to quickly compare two app's screens at once then I use the 4-finger-drag gesture without letting go, to swipe back-and-forward.

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I think iPad Air 2 may get it also with iOS 9. It has 2 GB of ram, so I think it can support it.

6. ipadlvr thread starter macrumors regular

Seriously? Have you ever actually worked with 2 or more screens split on a 9.7" screen?

Android can split screens on 4-5" screen phones. Should we make that too?

7. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I'm doing a bunch of research papers in school now, and I would like to have Safari on one side and Pages on the other so that I don't have to switch back and forth.

8. ipadlvr thread starter macrumors regular

It may not be split screen as we see on Android. You can't even tile windows on a Mac.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

10. ipadlvr thread starter macrumors regular

I think the swiping back and forth is the way to go on iPad, provided the apps that are opened don't refresh and you lose your work.

It works just like on the Mac when you have full screen view. Swipe back and forth.

The only thing I would have are SOME things floating. For instance, a YouTube video floating that I can watch while I chat with someone. That could be nice.

----------

You know how many things apple tested internally that never made it to us?

----------

And for that, you get a laptop.

The lesson we got from the Surface failure is that you can't make 1 device do everything. Some devices are made to do some things better than others. Working with multiple documents writing a research paper, that's something a laptop does much better than a tablet. This is why companies make different products to suit your needs.

I think these reviewers will see the power of an iPad a lot better if they stop trying to make it a laptop.

----------

Those 2GB are just to run iOS properly. Let's look back at all the complaints about iPad Air lack of memory the past year.

----------

Sure. But split screens?

I would prefer widgets. That's something l love on my Android phone. Especially Calendar and Email widgets. The 9.7" screen is being wasted by a row of icons like on a phone.

11. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I do the majority of the work on my macbook. But for when I bring my iPad with me and there's dead time and I want to get a little work done, it would be convenient to run 2 apps at once. I wouldn't do it often, but there are situations where it would come in handy.

12. Closingracer macrumors 68020

So that's the excuse apple makes? Sure I like it but they can easily make it happen as well

13. awests macrumors regular

Bettertouchtool!

14. ipadlvr thread starter macrumors regular

I'm replacing my computers with an iPad Air 2. I have a desktop at work anyway.

I had an honest conversation with myself. Realistically , what do I do 90% of the time with my computer? And an iPad can replace it for sure.

Those times I need 2 documents, I'll just pretend is my stolen Macbook Air 11" and I have 2 full screen apps opened.

----------

Apple didn't make OSX to split windows is the point. I'm sure you can install all sorts of things.

15. loybond macrumors regular

Let's simplify a bit. People saying they want split screen are basically saying they want more efficient multitasking because they want to use the iPad as a computer replacement in some way.

I'm sure Apple can do this, technically speaking, but I think that the whole form factor is wrong.

Not having a mouse/keyboard to interact with the OS slows the speed down with which you use the OS, so why put lipstick on a pig and either have clunky software solutions (no dock/bar, touch/tap any number of times to launch various apps, resize them, switch back and forth between screen and bluetooth keyboard), or clunky hardware solutions (fidgety stand with built in keyboard) to basically try and reach the goal of a laptop?

A Macbook Air is pretty ideally suited to that type of use (real work), with a great keyboard, probably the best trackpad, and as a bonus, the 11" is pretty freaking small when folded up, not significantly different from an iPad. With the battery life they have now, there's no reason to stumble your way through an iPad for work.

I think Apple realizes this, and that's why they relegate the iPad to reading/browsing/email/light work/game duty. Perhaps there may be some great software solution that will make a touch tablet useful in the way a laptop is, but it doesn't exist yet, and may very well be the next big change in that category.

16. ipadlvr thread starter macrumors regular

As long as reviewers try to make an iPad a laptop they will never be satisfied.

17. ThePuff macrumors member

Reminds me of the useless singing contest judges on television:

"That performance was absolutely brilliant. The best all night. Oh, and uh it was kind of pitchy. Try to outdo yourself next time."

18. awests macrumors regular

And once they do, they will criticize Apple for blending product categories!