Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorEgypt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Egypt
I have bought an iPad Air 2 128 LTE (production week 38) , I am experiencing screen distortion when pressing on the right back side of the iPad Air 2 as if I am poking the iPad screen.... Something is pressing against the screen from the back .... So I decided to go back and exchange it , found out the my exchange Air 2 128 LTE (production week 42) has the same issue but less distortion , I tried the floor units and it has the same issue, apple geniuses and a phone support told me that it is normal as the air 2 is very thin.
Kindly, share your experience.
Thank you,

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
This has been talked about to death...

So are apple still replacing units that have this issue (the vast majority do)????

If I were you, I'd just wait a few months and give it another try at returning the iPad (if they are still accepting that defect) and see if they are sorted it out..

My iPad 2 air has it and I never notice it in day to day use with just an iPad smart cover...

DoctorEgypt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Egypt
I think you are right, I don't get the distortion while in normal use even when the tablet has no case .... Although, I ordered an otter box defender case and I think I can live with that . But... The question is ... With repeated pressure on the back of the device not on intention off course I think might cause a permanent problem like a dead pixel or something later on.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I think you are right, I don't get the distortion while in normal use even when the tablet has no case .... Although, I ordered an otter box defender case and I think I can live with that . But... The question is ... With repeated pressure on the back of the device not on intention off course I think might cause a permanent problem like a dead pixel or something later on.

It's the possibility of long term issues that would scare me about this. Same for some other issues with such a paper thin chassis. I'll stick with my Air. :D

elmacci

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
Munich, Germany
Hi,

same issue on my iPad Air 2 64 Wifi/Cellular SG,
bought on 14th Jan. 15. (Prod. week 49/14, Foxconn).
When using "normally" (i.e. holding it and not moving) it does not appear.
When i hold it in my right hand and walk around or lift it up 2 big distortion effects appear on the right side, center based.

Had an appointment at the genius bar in munich, germany about this issue and got an exchange unit (same production date as the original one) which does it less (only 1 small spot when i lift the ipad with my right hand). I can live with it.

But the employee was baffled and never saw this issue, also he showed it to his supervisor and he clearly stated that this should not happen.
Nevertheless, it does happen - we checked all(!) the units at the store, 14 to be exact. And all of them did it to a more or less significant extent.

So yeah, i would say it is by design.

Cheers from munich
Markus

DoctorEgypt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Egypt
I believe it's a design issue , but still I haven't noticed the issue unless I read about it ..l I wish I really haven't read about it :)

datdaica

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
Hi
I have the same issue .just 1 spot appear when holding the ipad though. Talked to a staff of Apple ( online services ) and he said it just due to the design. I guess not thing to worry about. We can go to the store and exchange a new one if there is any worse problem appear anyway.

DoctorEgypt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Egypt
I just received a second replacement today and it has the same issue ... I believe it's a design thing and I have tested a lots of units in Ohio eton Apple Store , also tested a couple of units at best buy in Egypt all of them has the issue but I think differes from mild - worse , some require very light touch , some moderate pressure but all has it.
Now what I think ... If it's a bad design Apple would recall customers after sometime for a repair or a replacement program.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I just received a second replacement today and it has the same issue ... I believe it's a design thing and I have tested a lots of units in Ohio eton Apple Store , also tested a couple of units at best buy in Egypt all of them has the issue but I think differes from mild - worse , some require very light touch , some moderate pressure but all has it.
Now what I think ... If it's a bad design Apple would recall customers after sometime for a repair or a replacement program.

They all have it, just varies to what degree. That's why there is a 30 page thread on this first page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.