iPad iPad Air 2 screen freeze

Discussion in 'iPad' started by liquorice, Oct 30, 2014.

1. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

Only two times so far where my ipad has become unresponsive and had to do a reboot to get it going again.
    Neither the five finger gesture or pressing buttons has done anything.
    Is it just me ?

2. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

I had mine stuck on the sleep screen(off) and had to keep playing with the sleep/home button until I saw the home screen. I knew it wasn't off, but instead frozen for some reason. This happen 2-3 times since receiving it, but hasn't happen today.

3. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

Mine has froze once so far. And last night I was in safari and iOS crashed and rebooted immediately. Never had that happen before on any iOS device!

4. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I had this the first couple of days after putting it in an Apple smart case....rebooted it...hasn't happened since.

5. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Last night I went to wake it and it would not turn on. I knew it had around 90% battery since I just used it like 5 minutes before that. Only way I managed to get it to come back on was holding the power + home button and eventually it turned on as if it was off. Really weird...

6. maroot macrumors member

Same here...

This also has happened to me. Blank screen and would not awaken from sleep. I tried doing the boot buttons, but it did nothing. It finally popped back on it's own after a minute or so, to the home screen, so it never did reboot!

I am concerned. :confused:

7. donnaw macrumors 65816

Mine freezes about every third time I type the contraction for 'did not'. Not every time but a lot. Requires killing Whatever app I'm in (usually Safari but also in Notes) in the multitasking area.

I'm pretty sure its software glitch from 8.0 but I've reported it and it's still not fixed.

8. jacobgandalf macrumors newbie

I've also picked up my new iPad to find a blank screen... Unresponsive for several minutes. This has happened at least once a day since I bought it last Friday. I'm feeling a bit disappointed as this is my first iOS device, and I came here looking for stability. Otherwise an amazing device.

9. Unami macrumors 6502a

happened to me once - i expect that phenomenon to disappear, within the next ios bugfixes and when all apps are updated. i've also had some apps that worked perfectly fine on my old ipad 1 (not air) crash on startup.
    - safari sometimes does not respond when i click (touch ?) a link on a freshly loaded page until i make a pinch zoom or something else. (sometimes it seems, that it's loading the linked site in the background, but it gives me no indication that he link was activated.
    - and third: what's with all the graphic hiccups? - it got double the ram and a much faster gpu/cpu combo, but sometimes still hangs for fractions of a second in graphic intense games like asphalt 2, real racing, infinity blade or zen garden. as these games were made for the air 1, i can only assume that's because of some developer's tricks to get around the 1gb ram limit. (maybe the games are that optimized that they don't benefit from the added ram yet). i hope it's not a bottleneck somewhere in the hardware.

10. jacobgandalf macrumors newbie

I'm also seeing the safari link issue.. A zoom in seems to fix it every time. Glad someone else mentioned it.

11. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I've also had most of these quirky faults occasionally with my new Air 2. Mainly random freezes which sometimes take a hard reset to clear.
    Never happens on my other Air which is still on 7.
    Bit irritating but I'm hoping Apple will fix them sooner rather than later.

12. Kiimora, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

Was clearing out emails last night when it hung on me and went dark; several reboot attempts did'nt do the trick. I was just about packing it up back to Apple when it suddenly sprung back to life:confused:

This happened once so far since unboxing on Friday.

13. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Did you folks set it up as a new iPad or from backup?

I have gotten a freeze and lock issue with a game but it clearly is a problem with that app as I checked reviews on the store.

No other freezes/lockups other than that. I set it up as new Ipad.

15. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

My Air 2 has frozen while in Safari a few times. Hitting the home button, and going back to Safari un-freezes it, but I loose what I had typed. The last key I hit stays grey, until I go back after hitting the home button.

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Have had two freezes here.

Never happened before with every prior model.

17. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Same issue with Air 1 however only freezing with Safari, especially while writting a comment.