Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbfinch2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
Okay, so I decided to purchase the iPad Air 2 and I bought the smart case too. I have a couple of questions if anybody knows the answer to it.

Are there any screen protectors out there that is compatible with the air 2?
Has anybody used the smart case for $79 before? If so are they any good? I wanted an otter box but that won't happen for a couple of weeks.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Had one , too sticky. Collect us dust on its edges. They also get scratches.
My experience shows the griffin survivor on an iPad Air (1) works great to protect screens with no film.
Btw when I pulled the Zagg invisisheild off the device it was pristine in condition.

rbfinch2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
The Zagg InvisiShield for iPad Air is the same for the iPad Air 2. Just ordered mine.

Do you think the tempered glass is the best? Does it mess with functionality?

I've never used it before

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Good got the Tech Armor clear a couple days ago. I didn't want to get glass because of the thickness and how the touchid would be really sunk in

It's not sunk in at all. 100% success rate with touch ID on my iPhone 6 plus, with the glass protector. Some of it likely has to do with touch ID improvements as well.

Have the clear on my original iPad air, which I just gifted. It's great as well, although I now prefer the glass. Ordered the glass for my iPad air 2 preorder.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
It's not sunk in at all. 100% success rate with touch ID on my iPhone 6 plus, with the glass protector. Some of it likely has to do with touch ID improvements as well.

Have the clear on my original iPad air, which I just gifted. It's great as well, although I now prefer the glass. Ordered the glass for my iPad air 2 preorder.
I have a 6 and a glass shield it doesn't hinder the function, it does leave the button sunk in a bit though as obviously it's not flush. You'll feel it on the clear too but not as much as you would on the glass since it's even thicker. IMO If it doesn't bother you no biggie though you're getting better clarity for sure.

Last edited:

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I use the smart case on my mini, leather version. Classy accessory. Probably don't need a screen protector if you have the smart cover/case

rbfinch2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
I just bought the bodyguardz version because it was the only site that took paypal.

What do you guys think of them? Here's the url:

https://www.bodyguardz.com/pure-for-apple-ipad-air-screenguardz-screen-protectors-covers-shields-skins-films.html

By the way, this shouldn't complicate the Apple smart case, right? How do you guys like apple's smart case? I was kind of iffy on buying it.

----------

I use the smart case on my mini, leather version. Classy accessory. Probably don't need a screen protector if you have the smart cover/case

lol damn. Just bought it!:)

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
I have a 6 and a glass shield it doesn't hinder the function, it does leave the button sunk in a bit though as obviously it's not flush. You'll feel it on the clear too but not as much as you would on the glass since it's even thicker. IMO If it doesn't bother you no biggie though you're getting better clarity for sure.

Guess it would be an issue for someone with a perfectly flat thumb, in which case that minuscule difference would be noticeable. For those of us with slightly rounded thumbs, no screen protector feels sunk in.

thumb-up.jpg

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I just bought the bodyguardz version because it was the only site that took paypal.

What do you guys think of them? Here's the url:

https://www.bodyguardz.com/pure-for...en-protectors-covers-shields-skins-films.html

By the way, this shouldn't complicate the Apple smart case, right? How do you guys like apple's smart case? I was kind of iffy on buying it.

----------

lol damn. Just bought it!:)

More protection. Nothing wrong with that. There were times where I'd take the mini out of the smart case, so those times would benefit from a screen protector.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
The Air 2 will be my fourth iPad and I always put them in the official cases with a lid and never have put a screen protector on any of them.

I've not had one minute scratch on any of my three previous iPads.

It stays at home and the rare occasion I take it out I have a super cushioned sleeve it goes into.

But I always apply one to my iPhones even though I either keep them in a wallet or as I am now with the 6, in a folio type case.
As it is more mobile and gets carried in my pocket all to it's self, you can't be too careful of minute grit, etc. getting in & rubbing the screen.

So unless you like your iPad's naked or like to be able to chuck it in a bag/rucksack without worrying about the screen, I wouldn't bother with a screen protector. Much nicer feel without.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Unless your iPad will be used a lot outdoors or by small kids the screen protectors are of dubious value. They reduce the quality of the image which stinks and they are such a nightmare to put on.

I don't have one on my Air and the screen looks brand new.

I wouldn't bother unless your use case is rough.

rhino7

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Would the addition of a screen protector just render the anti-glare coating obsolete as the protector itself would then provide glare, particularly the glass ones?

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Would the addition of a screen protector just render the anti-glare coating obsolete as the protector itself would then provide glare, particularly the glass ones?

Yeah, I'd guess. Also with these touch devices, a screenprotector really doesn't do much for the smoothness. It pretty much ruins the whole experience

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Yeah, I'd guess. Also with these touch devices, a screenprotector really doesn't do much for the smoothness. It pretty much ruins the whole experience

I use Ghost Armor and it feels just like glass. When I got my Air I put it next to my old iPad 3 that had the protector on for a year and I couldn't feel any difference. Also, I suppose some people might see a difference in clarity but I don't.

I always put a screen protector on. But I travel a lot and use it without a case when I'm home. I put a full body Ghost Armor on and don't feel any worries. I can lay it down on the patio, the cat walks on it. I've had 4 iPads. I've handed them down to my grandkids now and the screens and bodies are still pristine.

I like my devices to not look beat up but I'm also a bit lazy. Hate having to be careful.

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I think I am not going to use a screen protector this time, which is a big change for me as I have put screen protectors on all devices I have owned.

I figure if the screen gets really messed up, use the AppleCare.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I think I am not going to use a screen protector this time, which is a big change for me as I have put screen protectors on all devices I have owned.

I figure if the screen gets really messed up, use the AppleCare.

It will be fine. My trick is to keep the display wiped clean most of the time. Just use a soft, microfiber cloth and little of your own breath. Works perfectly for me. No chemicals, no hard wiping, and no tissues or paper towels. Just lukewarm water or your breath. My Air screen looks brand new to this day.

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
It will be fine. My trick is to keep the display wiped clean most of the time. Just use a soft, microfiber cloth and little of your own breath. Works perfectly for me. No chemicals, no hard wiping, and no tissues or paper towels. Just lukewarm water or your breath. My Air screen looks brand new to this day.

Have you used the ZAGG Foam before?

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014

Yep. The modern glass just really doesn't have scratch issues unless you do something crazy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.