iPad iPad Air 2: Screen response issues in Photos [VIDEO]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jony Ive, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Jony Ive, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

Jony Ive macrumors member

When I go to the Photos app, my iPad Air 2 has a lot of lag when opening a photo. It takes 1 second to open the photo in full screen since I touch the thumbnail

And when I close a photo, it takes the display 2 or 3 seconds to respond to my finger.

While in my old iPad Air and all the other Apple iDevices I had, this does not happen

Am I the only one having this problem?

I'm about to restore

I've made a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q9Yt1-t0PQ

2. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

Not so much a lag -- but I am having some screen response issues where I have to repeatedly tap to make it respond.

3. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I see Screen-Response-Gate coming.

Touch-gate?

4. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

I have the same on my iPad 3 after updating to 8.1! Really annoying...

5. donnaw macrumors 65816

Oh just stop it!

6. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Same on my Air 1.:eek:

7. i-aamir macrumors 6502a

I had similar issues with my Air 2 yesterday. Unfortunately this another IOS 8 Bug and not hardware related!

8. Jony Ive thread starter macrumors member

Good news!

9. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

That is exactly (in the video) the problem I am having with my Air 2! IF you don't mind my asking, how do you know it is an iOs bug? I was planning on taking my Air into the Genius Bar to fix/replace or return it altogether. If I know it is an iOs bug I'll save myself the hour drive.

10. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

It seems to be iOS 8.1 issue. So downgrade back to 7.1.... ... Errr. :p

PS: I am definitely not updating my iPad Air 1 to iOS 8 till 8.9 drops.

11. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

This has to be iOS related since it is happening on all my iDevices (5c, 6, iPad Air, and iPad 3) since upgrading them to 8/8.1. It seems to happening the most on my Air and 6.

12. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

I would if I could - alas new iPad Air2.

Thanks for the info. That saved me a trip and I cancelled my Genius Bar appt.

13. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Also, note that it is not app specific for me. Each device is used by a different person and we each have had issues using different apps. My kids mostly in gaming apps, me in e-mail and safari, my wife in facebook and safari. However, it has not been limited to those apps. Also ToDo, Evernote, MS Office, have either had a screen lag or froze the system.

14. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

You would've thought apple would've tested their photos app before releasing the upgrade.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I don't see anything lagging. Your Air 2 is super fine. If you don't like it you can always take it back to the store and maybe try out Samsung Tab S 10.1? :apple:

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm not trying to make fun... but

If only people from 20 years ago could see this complaint... what would they think ?

17. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Photos on iOS 8 is in bad need of some optimisations and bug fixing.
    Swiping between images can also be a little stuttery until it is all cached and if you swipe back, it gets worse.
    Try this with RAW files though and it is very poor, very laggy and stuttery. There is also a bug where RAW files are interpreted as TIFF files - it may all be linked. If you have any RAW files on one of your devices, use Airdrop to send one to another device and open it. All you get is a very low resolution picture - it's actually only the thumbnail preview that can be opened up. For some reason, they are treated as TIFF files and because iOS thinks it is a single image, only the thumbnail preview is shown hence the poor resolution image.
    This also affects some apps such ad Big Lens.

Also, if you Airdrop these files to the Mac, you can see it has been renamed as a TIFF file. If you rename back as a RAW files e.g. .NEF for Nikon, it then opens up fine as a RAW file again.

I've submitted this as a bug to Apple but I encourage others to do the same.

18. Jony Ive thread starter macrumors member

The case is that we don't live in 1995.

19. veryangrybirds macrumors member

might just be a software issue and not hardware

An update will definitely fix this. There shouldnt be any lag or disruptions especially with the much better specs of the Ipad Air 2 ...

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hence the if, don't worry... if I were you I would probably ask too!

21. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I get random tap lag on my iPad 3 with iOS 8.

22. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Did you restore from your original iPad Air backup? It may be doing some background updates of your photo library. If your library is pretty big, it may take a while. Just a guess.

I updated iPhoto to the Yosemite version. My library is ~40GB in size. It took it a little while doing "stuff" before it settled down. It was extremely laggy while it was doing its thing. There's no indication that it's doing anything. The only thing I saw was disk activity by iPhoto, which by the time it settled down it wrote nearly 10GB of data.

I stopped by the Apple store at lunch to check out the Air 2. It is fast. Messed with the photos library (with all the demo photos plus the 5 seconds of burst I did) on the demo there was absolutely no lag. And after I flipped back into Safari, it kept all 11 tabs I had opened, including heavy site The Verge. I'm upgrading my Air to the 2 :D

23. Jony Ive thread starter macrumors member

It stills lag

:(

24. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I had an issue on my Air 2 when I first got it where I would have to tap multiple times or quite hard on the home screen to get it to register.

Thought it was a hardware issue. However just for giggles I downloaded the Air 2 8.1 firmware from my dev account and did an alt-click "check for update" and installed 8.1 again via iTunes.

Since then, no issues at all.

Bizarre.