iPad iPad Air 2 screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aquos, Oct 26, 2014.

1. aquos, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

aquos macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, as i see some people have some screen issue with the air 2. do you guys think mine have any problem? i heard some yellow tint on the left side, some bookspine effect also.
    For Ipad air 2 owner, do you think your ipad air 2 screen slightly warmer than the air 1? also brightness a bit lower than the air 1?
    because i came to apple store and find that the ipad air 1 is slightly cooler than the ipad air 1. I'm not sure if that is just the ipad air 1 in the store or you guys have experience the same thing. thanks for the reply.
    And please note : the reason i ask this thing is because i bought this ipad abroad, not in my country so swapping unit is not an easy thing.

here is the attachment :

Attached Files:

2. aquos thread starter macrumors newbie

more picture

Attached Files:

3. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

In direct comparison, mine is the exact opposite. My Air 1 has a much warmer display. I prefer cooler in general, but either is good as long as the display is uniform.

4. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

It looks good to me. Don't let people on this forum worry you.

5. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

When doing comparisons, it's best to have the devices in the same picture. This is due to the auto white balancing of most cameras and phones. The camera will auto adjust the white point to match a reference point so both displays might look similar even though they are completely off.

You can offset this by using a manual white balance option.

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

As someone else pointed out, impossible to tell without them being right next to each other.

7. Danilo - Italy macrumors regular

For what is possible to see in the pictures your screen seems good.

8. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

If you need to ask others if your screen has an issue then it clearly doesn't for your own needs.

9. donnaw macrumors 65816

You have to decide for yourself. If you had uneven discoloration you would see it immediately. It's pretty obvious.

As for warmer vs cooler, well you have no choice. It is what it is.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

To be fair, if you are the type of person who can easily see issues with screens, like me, you tend to see them fairly quickly.

With my original Air, I had to swap it about 6 times due to stuff under the screen, yellow tint, pink tint, book spine etc and they were all very obvious. Again, I had to swap my retina mini 5 times for similar issues.

My Air 2 is perfect. I didn't see any issues immediately, and I'm not going looking for any.

TL;DR - If there's nothing obvious, chill and enjoy.

----------

This. If it's not a tint shift across the screen, but just a warmer temp across the whole screen, I'd keep it.

You could exchange and get a worse device.

Your eyes will adjust to the difference in screen temp.

11. aquos thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually im not having any ipad air 1, just ask for people who have it or have experience with it. As for the uniformity, any white balance is not a problem i think.

12. aquos thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, first time i open my mini 1, i easily recognized the yellowish screen until i jb n install color profiles. Got lucky with my mini retina as it has cooler screen, but have no chance to compare because i've already sold it. If a yellowish screen is easily recognized, but recently i've just known that there is uniformity issue in ipad display. So i need to ask u guys, does it seems balanced between the left and the right side. Thanks.

13. threelions macrumors regular

I'm very fussy when it comes to screens(had a ton of problems with the Air 1) and that looks good to me.

14. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

OP, I think your screen looks fine from those pics you posted. That said, the screen on my Air 2 is a much brighter white with a trace of cool blue to it compared to my original Air 1.

15. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

For the Air 2? Yes mine is cool and uniform across the whole display.

FYI some retina minis suffered from the "book spine" issue too, one of mine did. It is along the top edge tho and makes the status bar etc appear "muddy"

I believe the LED lighting is vertical on the rmini, and horizontal on the air.

16. aquos thread starter macrumors newbie

From your judgement from my picture, do you think mine is ok from bookspine issue or left side yellow? My other friend is going abroad again this week, thinking of giving another shot on buying one more ipad air 2 and compare them lol. But reading the book spine effect makes me scared of taking another ipad air 2, if there is a bookspine issue there might be a bit hard to sell it. And of course no chance for swapping unit because ipad air 2 hasnt launch in my country. Thanks.

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what I think from a photo of your screen. Are YOU happy with it?

18. klover macrumors 6502a

Air 2 was the first ipad since 2010 that I didn't have to return. Cool screen and good uniformity.