iPad Air 2 specs foreshadows iPhone 6S specs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Celedral, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

Looks like it's obvious whats to come for the iPhone 6S models. 2GB of ram is a guarantee along with a tri-core A8/9 SOC. I could be wrong and they might keep the tri-core for iPads only, but it only makes sense, as it's an *S model, to have the latest and greatest.

I'm also speculating the next step will be to further develop and push 64bit applications and use that as a selling point.

2. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

The specs jump from the iPhone 5 to the 6 was a short lived euphoria 'eh :p

Well I really don't find myself frustrated waiting for my iPhone 6 to perform any tasks so I think I'll get over this latest iPad news ;)

3. tigress666 macrumors 68040

The spec jump is always better on the S model. If I had patience I'd wait three years instead of two to upgrade and get myself on the S model upgrade. Sure, they don't get the nifty new gadget upgrades right away, but the phone tends to perform better for longer cause it gets the less shiny spec upgrades. They tend to run better for longer and get less slow downs.

4. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

on paper that is all true. but in reality, can anyone really tell the difference between iphone 5 and iphone 5s' performance?

given that contracts are 24 months, it's a no brainer to go with the 6 vs. 6s.

by the time the 'crappy' internals show its age, you would be eligible for an upgrade.

5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

The crappy internals show their age pretty quickly on the non s versions (Thoguh some worse than others). The 4 was already getting pretty laggy by the time the 5 came around. The 3G as well. The 5 actually got a decent spec upgrade and wasn't so bad this time around though. Maybe that trend will continue.

6. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

iPhones won't have higher than dual core for a while.

7. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Hmm I'd always been on the S line. This was the year I switched. Thinking about it, you're right and for the following reasons:

The 3G got the exact same processor as the iPhone 2G.

The 4 got the same processor as the 3GS but with a clock bump and repackaged into the A4.

The 5 got an entirely new CPU (Swift), a complete overhaul of the A5 on the 4S. Hence why it's lasting a long time.

The 6 got a very similar processor to the A7 of the 5s, some minor improvements and a clock bump. However, the A7 was already overpowered on the 5S (it was a complete overhaul of the A6 processor, which itself was a complete overhaul of the A5). Here's to hoping the A8 will last longer, but I doubt it.

8. mcorleone macrumors regular

mcorleone

Big whup! :p It's an iPad. It's supposed to have higher specs than a phone. I still plan to keep my iPad 3 for at least 2 more years anyway. In the meantime I'm still waiting on my mythological 6 Plus from AT&T.... :mad:

9. purello macrumors newbie

I can see the 6s plus getting 2gb and 3x core. The 6s will prob stick with 1 and dual core but a 1080p screen.

10. deviant macrumors 65816

Don't mention 3g and 4. Those phones were single core. 4S lasted that long only because it finally had dual core. Same thing with iPad 2, it's still kinda alive, while the original iPad died the moment 5.1.1 was released. Today's iPhones easily last 3 years and 2 iOS updates. the third update usually almost kills it (at least in the case of 4S) but not in the way iOS 5 killed the original iPad or ios7 the iPhone 4.

11. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

One paper the it was fast, but real life, an iPhone 5 vs iphone 6, feels almost the same.

All I noticed coming from an iPhone to an iPhone 6 plus, was I got a bigger screen, and a tad faster opening an app.

Surfing the web, checking email, message boards, youtube, movies, pictures, not much difference.

I am a fool for the "new" latest release, and it is costing me a pretty penny.

12. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Why not just upgrade every year? lol. I mean, when you sell your last version iPhone, you only end up paying about $150-200 for a new model.