iPad Air 2 still at $499 for 16GB

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Andres Cantu, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

What are your thoughts on the iPad Air 2 costing exactly the same for the same capacities as last year? They could have at least bumped up the capacities!

2. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

That's in the States in my country since today that ipad air 2 is now more expensive like 20%.

3. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I'm a huge Apple fan... But today was a huge disappointment for the iPad.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've yet to hear someone say they wanted a bigger iPad. If someone mention they wanted a bigger iPad it would have been OSX as the operating system. I was really hoping for perhaps USB-C support, but no.. The same lightning port. And they did update the iPad Mini 3 yet with a A8 chip... I'm assuming it's going to be 1GB of Ram.

I was really pushing for the iPad this year, but it was a let down... Not interested at all in the iPad Pro.

4. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

I held off buying a 64GB iPad Air 2 at Best Buy for $475 in hopes of a better iPad Air 3 or at least a permanent price cut. Now this.

I'm disappointed and now have I'm gonna have less green.

5. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

It's just bold of them to keep the exact same price.. Didn't even slash a cent off of it.

6. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I agree. This is basically worse than the iPad mini 3. At least they added the color gold and Touch-ID to that iPad. This one didn't receive any sort of update.

We're sure to hear a ton of complaints about it, probably more than the iPad mini 3.

7. CE3 macrumors 6502a

It's currently about $60-70 cheaper for all Air2 models on Amazon, and I suspect the price will continue to drop as we approach the holiday season.

8. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

I'm really wondering if we might see a move back to the March launch for new iPads. I'm wondering if 3D touch was just too new to launch on everything at once so they are gonna hold off a bit till Spring. iPad Mini 5, iPad Air 3, and iPad Pro 2 released March 2016 with 3D Touch panels.

9. newellj macrumors 601

It's still the front line device in its space. There was no reason for Apple to reduce the price.

10. Che Castro macrumors 603

11. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Lol! I figured everyone would be today, especially after a bigger-than-usual event.

12. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

No reason to reduce price? Well, declining iPad sales would be a reason to reduce the price. People won't be upgrading knowing that the price is the same... It'll be more reason to keep their existing iPad.

Don't get me wrong.. The Air 2 is a helluva product, but people still have older generation iPads. And keeping the same price won't entice people to upgrade. I just think Apple dropped the ball on this one..

13. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

Personally, I'm happy about this. I'm thinking of selling my iPad Air 2 and with no new 3 yet, I might get some $$ back on it.

14. newellj macrumors 601

Yes, but reducing the price on the Air 2 now, while it's still the current 9.7" iPad, would probably amount to a permanent price reduction on that category, which I don't see Apple doing. They'd be more interested in preserving the price point for the long term than boosting sales volume for the short term.